Need an EDC light.

ohihunter2014

Newly Enlightened
I had a fenix 250lumen that was stolen so looking to replace it. Would like rechargeable and AA or CR123 and 500+lumens but fits in a pocket. I looked at streamlight polytac and 2xl and they 2 has terrible amazon reviews. Any recommendations?

Lumen83

Enlightened
How about a surefire EDCL1-T? Can be run with the K2 rechargables. Thats my setup and I'm extremely happy with it.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Streamlight Polytac is awesome, especially if you're comfortable running on 16650 cells rather than 2xCR123. The newer Streamlight Polytac X is the same driver, but fits an 18650, has a 2-way clip, and can tail-stand.

I'll have to go to amazon and see what folks are complaining about because I've had nothing but positive experiences with mine.

--flatline

Keitho

Enlightened
If I go with AA, it is because I want something much smaller than 5" in my dress pants pocket, and usually take a ZL SC5cII, 500 lumens (for a short time) of high-CRI with very useful UI and sub-lumen modes (3.2" x 1"). Most days, I still keep my light in the ~3.6" range, but jump up to an 18650 (SC64, FW3A, etc.)--those can still fit in my pockets, but give me the drastic increase in brightness/runtime associated with 18650. If I'm taking a >5" light with a >1.25" head, its an 18650 or 21700 that allows a much brighter, much longer-running, and much longer-throwing holster-carried tool (my current choice is Acebeam L16vn, and I have also used a Convoy C8+ and Solarforce L2T P60 in the same role--multi-fuel, rear-switch "tactical" throwers).

Doesn't look like there's anything wrong with the polytacs, either...you probably already saw this review of the X mentioned by flatline above http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?441166-New-Streamlight-PolyTac-X-Flashlight

Last edited:

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
My EDC whether in a suit or business casual is my Thrunite TiS (AAA), as it doesn't take up hardly any room or create a pocket bulge, which I hate. My backup is at my desk or in the car.

Strintguy

Enlightened
Nice grab Peter, I got to see and play with one of those recently. Nice strong spring for the switch and a robust feel.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've just scored a Straemlight Protac 1L 1AA
It runs on AA, AAA and Cr123. Also Li-ion.
It's a super little light.
P

Is the 3rd mode group L-H or is it L-M-H?

You might have to test to know for sure. My Polytac packaging said L-H but the driver was actually L-M-H.

--flatline

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
This one is L-H, but it took me ages to suss it, as when it's on a 16340 it's hard to tell the difference in the levels. On 3 volts and below the low is more of a medium, if that makes sense.
It's a good solid light that's putting up with abuse at the Brewery.
P

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 1L-1AA is a nice size for an EDC light, I usually run mine one a hi-cap Eneloop or Eneloop rebrand ten tapped to high only. Sometimes I run it on a K2 energy 123 LFP 3.2V cell when I want a little more output.

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a fenix 250lumen that was stolen so looking to replace it. Would like rechargeable and AA or CR123 and 500+lumens but fits in a pocket. I looked at streamlight polytac and 2xl and they 2 has terrible amazon reviews. Any recommendations?

Lumintop tool AA would meet you requirements

Olight cr123 also. Small bright good UI.

sonofjesse

Newly Enlightened
If you want the AA/14500 light the SF-AA01 is a solid deal these days. Rated for 700 lumens on 14500.

If you like CR123 the olight is good or the E16 Fenix in NW.