What Soda Can for sustained output?

mstang1988

Newly Enlightened
I've long been a lurker and have long wanted a soda can style flashlight. The X80-GT looks pretty awesome but the stained output doesn't seem like it would be better than any other unit. Most likely I'd use it here and there so Turbo/Turbo + modes are probably fine but I care about sustained output as much as Turbo.

Suggestions? If I can get a high CRI unit that has the same sustained output then that's preferred but I'm ok with raw output as well.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure about a soda can light but exposure lights do some soda can sized serious lights

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thrunite TN50 with its 4 xhp70.2s can probably run 3000 lumens continuously with no heat issues for 4 hours. Not many LEDs have as high an efficacy as a cool white 70.2. Acebeam X80GT with its many XHP50.2s is probably equally as good as well. You're not gonna get much better.

Basically anything that has cool white xhp70.2s in it and 4 18650s is a good option.

Last edited:

SKV89

Enlightened
For soda can lights, NOTHING is even close to the X80-GT in terms of sustained output. The X80-GT running those 18 XHP50.2 in the highly efficient low current range can sustain about 4,000 lumens. This is the limit of what physics and current technology can achieve. If you are interested in bigger lights, the DX80 can sustain 7,000 to 8,000 lumens. The current record holder is the Olight Marauder X9R sustaining 12,800 lumens.

I've long been a lurker and have long wanted a soda can style flashlight. The X80-GT looks pretty awesome but the stained output doesn't seem like it would be better than any other unit. Most likely I'd use it here and there so Turbo/Turbo + modes are probably fine but I care about sustained output as much as Turbo.

Suggestions? If I can get a high CRI unit that has the same sustained output then that's preferred but I'm ok with raw output as well.

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
For soda can lights, NOTHING is even close to the X80-GT in terms of sustained output. The X80-GT running those 18 XHP50.2 in the highly efficient low current range can sustain about 4,000 lumens. This is the limit of what physics and current technology can achieve. If you are interested in bigger lights, the DX80 can sustain 7,000 to 8,000 lumens. The current record holder is the Olight Marauder X9R sustaining 12,800 lumens.

Edited misread post

Patriot

Flashaholic

+1 to everything that raven and SVK89 stated. Just keep in mind that the X80GT is all flood, which is often the case for soda can lights. If you need something that reaches about there more, the MT18S with XPL's has about 3x the throw, is still pretty efficient and will maintain close to 4000L. If you want a slightly smaller soda can light, the 3 x 18650, D18 with XPL's is more than double the throw of the X80GT and can run at +3000L continuously. It all depends on what features are most important to you.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Thrunite TN36 is another light that should have very good sustained output, and because of slightly tighter beam, if used at the same lumen levels, it will throw further than the X80GT. It also costs a lot less, has a potentially nifty ramping output control, and a much lower low.

I think the Acebeam X45 might also be worth looking at. The head is a non-trivial amount larger than a soda can, but this should help it sustain a bit higher output, and it will have much more throw than the X80GT.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Thrunite TN36 is another light that should have very good sustained output, and because of slightly tighter beam, if used at the same lumen levels, it will throw further than the X80GT. It also costs a lot less, has a potentially nifty ramping output control, and a much lower low.

I think the Acebeam X45 might also be worth looking at. The head is a non-trivial amount larger than a soda can, but this should help it sustain a bit higher output, and it will have much more throw than the X80GT.
My very thoughts. I agree.

The most sustained output comes from something with very large capacity, ran at lower modes.

Pick the soda can light you like, then run it at the next lower mode for the next longer sustained output.

My soda can lights, in chronological order:

Nov. 2014: Niwalker MM15, 5,233 lumens. 370 meters throw.

June, 2015: Meteor M43vn, 8,400 lumens. 600 meters.

Jan. 2016: TN36UTvn, 13,400 lumens. 440 meters.

Aug. 2016: Fenix TK75vnQ70, 16,000 lumens. 660 meters.

June, 2017: X45vn, 25,000 lumens and 775 meters throw is my current large head soda can light. As iamlucky said in the post above this post, it has much more throw than the X80.