moonlight only

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
Want a light suitable for checking on a sleeping person, even shining at their face. AAA or AA size is fine. Don't want to accidentally be able to have it go into a brighter mode. Can I modifiy a cheap light easily (adding resistance to the circuit maybe) ?

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've found my favorite moonlight; FW3A ( w/SST-20 4000K Neutral W 95+ CRI ) in lockout mode (click 4 times from off) yields the smoothest momentary non-blue moonlight for my uses. Non-blue light is what I was after to light up my analog alarm clock and not make it difficult to get back to sleep (which is what blue light does).

GoVegan

Enlightened
I won't recommend a HDS Rotary as this would be an overkill, but I think a Foursevens Preon P1 MKIII would serve you well as it starts in a low 1 lumen mode and has mode memory. If your needs change in the future it can be programmed differently. Other models like the P2 or Mini MKIII may also be suitable.

Then there is the ThruNite Ti3 which starts in a sub lumen. Again not a moonlight only, but it may suit your needs.
Even a red LED Photon Microlight may work well, if you don't need accurate color.

But I'm curious on your needs, if it is just checking on one person such as a family member or is it for in a work place such as a hospital? No need to answer if personal.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Peak will make custom single fixed output flashlights, upon request.

You would have to eMail or call to discuss your exact needs with them.

They rate their non-QTC light engines on an 8-point scale (and #8 is max) but they have even done #subzero before.

pc_light

Enlightened
Would you consider a warm 5mm AAA light or is that still too bright?

Sofirn was selling the C01 with a 3200K hi-CRI Yugi but they seem to be out.

But if you're going to mod, I'd go with warm tint.

Last edited:

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
A Fenix E01 is too bright. That as max, with a mechanical twist making it less bright, would be interesting.

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
What about one of the .85 keychain lights from Battery Junction of which you could choose a red emitting light or a green emitting light?

Unless you want to use Nitecore's Tube on its 1-lumen setting.

De-Lux

Enlightened
Peak will make custom single fixed output flashlights, upon request.

You would have to eMail or call to discuss your exact needs with them.

They rate their non-QTC light engines on an 8-point scale (and #8 is max) but they have even done #subzero before.
. This would be my recommendation as well.