Worlds greatest cop light

bykfixer

Flashaholic
There was a time where a thread like this may not make it through the day without closure due to the passion(s) of the persons posting. But that was a different time here. These days things tend to remain calm and orderly without name calling or flaming.

Once upon a time the 3D flashlight ruled the world of cop lights. Companies like Franco and Ray-o-Lite built rubberized body lights with nickel plated reflectors that put out some 8-12 birthday candle brightness. The electric candle sort of. By the end of World War II there were ginormous numbers that came with shoulder straps. Folks carried extra batteries on a belt like a gun belt in the old west for search and rescue duty. But the 3D light was still the most practical. In the 1950's the Eveready Captain and Rayovac Sportsman were really really popular with police and first responders. That remained until Kel-Lite, LA Screw, and Maglite changed the flashlight world using what had started out with sprinkler pipe, mirrored plastic reflectors and impact resistant plastic lenses.

Along came SureFire. Well, back up a little to the rechargeable Streamlights, LA Screws and Maglites. The appox 4D size Streamlight SL20 was the undisputed king of cop lights. SureFire changed the game by shrinking lights with the brightness of a much larger light. So for a time cops were outfitted with an SL20 in the car and a 6P on their belt. The mini me SL20 was the Stinger. That one became a great option to the 6P. Capable of being worn when running, it was even replacing the SL20 with some who carried a Strion on their belt. All that probably had more to do with local purchasing agents scoring better deals on Streamlight products than SureFire who were focusing on military contracts.

The LED eventually changed the game. It took a while. Nearly 15 years from around 2000 to around 2015 when LED lights had pretty much replaced the light bulb as the emitter for cop lights.

Now between 2015 and 2018 the magical 1000 lumen threshold was crossed. Once 18650 sized fuel cells had become the norm, really bright lights could be had a great prices. The SL20 abdicated the throne and so did Maglite. Chinese made lights were king. Is the Chinese light really king?

But which one? That's where this thread comes in. Let's hear your thoughts. Please remember to keep it friendly here. There's no money or championship belt on the line.

I'll start with two I do not own. The Malkoff Hound Dog and Elzetta Charlie AVS. The hound dog due to dual fuel ability and the Charlie for it's Sherman tank durability. My personal favorite is the initial light designed and built by PK after he left SureFire the FL2 LE. The 6P 2.0 with a great low setting. Second would be a toss up between the Elzetta Bones and Bravo AVS/hi/lo.

My favorite classic cop light is the early LED edition of the Streamlight Stinger with the early edition LED TL2 as a backup.

Favorite incan in my "worlds best" category is a stock 6P by SureFire. To me that one is the 1911 of flashlights and could still be considered worlds best all things considered.

Just my opinions. What's yours?

Last edited:

Fish 14

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the hound dog would be at the top of my list

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
My top 3:

18650 Hound Dog
HDS Rotary Tactical
Hound Dog Super

I think the UI is the most important factor for me. All of these lights can operate as if they are single mode. No fiddling with buttons or clicking though different modes.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Is the hound dog capable of running on a pair of 123's? I presumed it does but someone asked me if it really can.

But I would still rate it as one of the greatest either way.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Great thread, tough call as i am sure there are many awesome cop lights. So if i can, i will answer as if i am a cop and what i would use. Lots of things to take into account, i am sure not many cops would want to spend $1000 on a fancy light. I would have said 6p no question, nice size, lots of engine choices. But i am going with the z2, simply because the feel in hand pips the 6p for me personally . Engine wise would either be a p60vn or malkoff. It ideally would need 2 levels, with easy intuitive UI, but single mode would work as long as not too bright. I would run on 16650 cells and have spares.

In fact, its me we are talking, so i would have a 6p in the glove box as back up and have the z2 on me in person. Hound Dog would be at side of seat or set up in the cab for easy reach/grab.

So malkoff engine, single mode neutral 4000k of 300-400lm with hi/lo. Then a p60vn triple, set with a hi/low level. This punches light out in a large hot spot of usefulness. Does not dazzle closer up, yet can reach out when needed. A good all rounder IMO.
Only reason why not a bones 1st, just the head size ,but i would sure try one out to see if i could cope with it on a belt.

An easy to grab out of pocket light, have to be a HDS . This would cover general use needs, yet still be able to punch light out , well above what specs may give the impression of. Will cover close to moderate range uses nicely. But i am not sure how many cops would be willing to drop $300-$400 on one. I know there are, but not the majority i think(think).

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I probably would stick with the stinger, strion as a backup. HDS, Malkoff, etc are all good lights, but opening the lights several times a week for use on night duty to recharge the battery is an extra step I don't need in a duty light

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
OP - I like how you diffused that situation ;-)

Not a cop. But this is a good review that was influential to me in my early, normative flashlight period. Author identifies several unique requirements like the ability to illuminate through dark car window tint. I still think his conclusions are relevant 4 years later.

So ideally I'm going with a copper wrapped PFlexPro P60 in a Malkoff MD2. I personally use a wrapped PFPro P60 in a bored 6p. Wish it was a MD2. But the light is my best all around: price, size, weight, durability, thermal, throw, UI, configurability, modes, tint, etc. Only downside is Randy may be out of the game...

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
It's great to see the P60 era lighting tool still has lots of love.

Pete, I was thinking the hound dog was set up for an 18650 or two primaries. Thanks for confirming.

Someone here pointed out the Pelican 7600 recently. That one checks a lot of boxes including a traffic wand. Dual fuel capable with abitlity to top up via a celphone charger cord via 12 volt port. The light fits in the traffic wand that fits in the belt holster. Red or green signaling are available via a twist of the head with one hand operation. Reliability may be the issue but Pelican has re-engineered the stuff that used to fail in the past. Time will tell there.

Now for peering through dark glass a frosted optic would be ideal for preventing flashback. Perhaps in an urban setting with tons of light pollution a conventional light might not be so bad, along with a non squint causing tint. But on dark country or interstate roads dark adapted eyes may require a flooder frosted optic like the Streamlight HL4/5 has. I shined my HL4 with all 2200 lumens going at my shiney white truck from 3 feet and while lighting up half my front yard like daylight it did not cause me to squint at all. Even a COB like a Nebo little Larry causes me to squint so it was quite the surprise. Trouble with the HL4 is the front is heavy when using it with your thumb on the rear mounted on/off switch. The HL5 has one up front too. Nice change there. Not great for search and rescue in deep woods due to the mega floody beam but it will light up a football field very well.

I honestly don't know of the perfect cop light. But I think the officer who understands their role well and the various aspects of what lighting needs are required, that there are some great options these days where a pair of lights would resolve most requirements. In my truck I carry various lights for that reason. Even the zoomie has a role at times.

LedTed

Enlightened
I know someone in a local PD. He has discovered there is no perfect duty flashlight for him.

He uses a NC D11.2 for the vast majority of his night shifts. And, keeps the very same light for personal EDC. This keeps him accustomed to the same UI and pocket carry.

He is currently looking for a secondary belt worn duty light for those few times a brighter light would be needed and as a backup; but not soo large as to take up too much room on his duty belt. Currently he is trying another NiteCore and an HDS. Right now the NC is winning over the HDS, but neither are quite what he wants.

I will update the group if the LEO makes a decision.

Greencatcher

Newly Enlightened
There is a lot of different lights that I carry on duty, I carry the Streamlight Pro Tac HPL 1000 lumens rechargeable on my gun belt, on my weapon it was a Nightstick 550XL, in the truck I have a Streamlight SL 20 aluminum model, in my pocket I had Jetbeam RRT a older model still it was 200 lumens for small work. I also a small rechargeable LED spot light that was 2000 lumens when I was in the woods looking for someone.The old saying two is one, one is none.

Falcon9h

Newly Enlightened
Well, I'm not a cop but I did just pick up the Olight Warrior X Pro. Bright as hell, great throw/flood beam pattern, simple to operate and built like a brick s***house. Might be too heavy for some but I love mine.

I have no experience with the others but every time I look at the Malkoff website (not affordable anyway) it's out of stock or sold out for almost everything. I only check it out of curiosity.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have no experience with the others but every time I look at the Malkoff website (not affordable anyway) it's out of stock or sold out for almost everything. I only check it out of curiosity.

That's because the cops all buy them as soon as they are in stock so there's nothing left for the rest of us.
Naughty cops.
P

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are many lights from many manufacturers to choose from so I have not tried every light available, but i have tried quite a few!

2hxcz92

lightbox

dateposted-public

48923469917_c93b5decf5_c.jpg

For me 'Cop Lights' can be categorized in three groups Belt Light, Bag Light and back-up.

The stand out lights for me personally at this time are the following:

1. Malkoff M91T MD3, small enough to always be on a duty belt, 750 continuous lumens, 1 1/2 hour runtime on 2 x 18500 batteries. Always comes on in high with the head tight, but has a very useful low mode when the head is loosened slightly.

2. Streamlight Stinger HL DS, 800 lumens, 1 1/2 hour runtime on high, the go too duty light for many Officers. If your department fits Streamlight chargers in your cruisers then this is a no brainer of a choice. In my opinion it's too bulky for a 24/7 belt light but it should be seriously considered for the midnight shift.

3. Streamlight ProTac HL 5-X is a game changer for searches or non tactical use, with an output of 3500 lumens on high and a runtime of 1 1/4 hours but more useful is 1000 lumen mode that will run for 2 1/2 hours. Upgrade the batteries to 3600mAh 18650's and the run times will be even longer. The head size is the same as a Maglite D cell so the traffic wand should also fit the HL-5 for Traffic duty.

4. A back up light should be compact, bright and fueled with lithium primaries. An old Surefire 6P with a Malkoff M61 drop-in and a pair of CR123's for me is ideal.

49582748021_6f1156d742_c.jpg

Whatever folk choose, stay safe out there! :thumbsup: