2D Army issue angle light project

dw_1984

Newly Enlightened
It's been a while since I modded a flashlight. Haven't kept up w/ all the wonderful new advancements in LED tech. I came on about a month ago and I'm surprised to find these Luxeon 3 watt leds...

I have a standard issue army 2D anglehead flashlight and I think I'd like to modify it to use a Luxeon3...only problem is I don't know what parts to use anymore. I've seen ElektroLumens' Anglelux but I already have a flashlight so I'd like to build my own.

Is it possible to DD a 3 watt w/ 2 Alky Ds? Or will I need a convertor of somesort? I have a BB700 in another flashlight that I could use. Or would those small micropucks work (although I know they're more suited for 1 watters). And any idea of runtimes?

Also, what kind of optic should I use? I know it's been a while cuz I have absolutely no idea where Fraen optics came from and now they seem to be everywhere...no sign of the old Luxeon NXs.

Sorry for all the questions...I've just been outa the loop for a long while.

Thanks!
Daniel

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Use two micropucks in parallel to drive the Luxeon III at 620mA. Find a thick disc of aluminum and machine it down to fit in the Anglehead. You can also add a switch to select between one and two micropucks for a basic hi/lo switch.

dw_1984

Newly Enlightened
Could my older BB700 run the new Lux3? And also, does the one by Elektrolumens DD or is there some kind of circuit?

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a Micropuck in Elektrolumen's Anglelux if I didn't remember wrongly. I believe you can use your BB700 to run the Lux 3.

The micropuck boost the voltage from the 2D batteries up to run the Lux at 350ma.

I won't recommend running the Lux3 even with a super thick disc of aluminium inside the anglelux for extended period of time. The whole light is plastic and the heat has no where to go. Once the disc heats up enough, the LS will just cook itself. This will happen if you run it at 700ma, but if you run it at 350ma, I don't think it will cook itself so easily.

Just my 2 cents.

StuU

Enlightened
I have a bunch of these angle-heads lights sitting around. Love to do a little modding. But I haven't been able to get around that nasty slide switch which seems to malfunction so often.

Anybody have any solution to a switch replacement on the angleheads?

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
i used a single micropuck and a lux 3 for both of my anglehead mods. with the fraen optic, the darn things pump out a big cone of light that registers 600lux at 1 meter.

i used relatively thin custom filed aluminum heatsinks, and the head gets just a little warm during extended runtimes--but not too hot.

im not sure i would want to drive a luxeon hard in a plastic light--heat dissipation may be a problem.

anyway, you should have a lot of fun with this!

i think i got the fraens from elektrolumens. he has had both the fraens and NX05's in the past.

later,
Bob

dw_1984

Newly Enlightened
What kind of optics will fit in the anglehead...other than the small Fraen LP and the NX-05s...do the bigger Fraen optics available from ElektroLumens fit? Or the 30mm?

Thanks,
Daniel