WOW - Dorcy 1AA 3LED

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finally got my hands on the Dorcy 1AA 3LED. I expected to be underwhelmed but was wow'd instead. Nice output for a small package. If you want to win people over to LEDs, this is the light to give them. At $10 it's affordable and it puts out enough light that you won't have to do any "explaining" like you often do with the Arc or Dorcy 1LED lights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Radagast

Enlightened
I wholeheartedly agree. I also want the 2 aa 4 led one now but they're all gone.

Flashlight Enthusiast
The beam on mine is good, and its bright. I am very impressed with the beams on my Dorcy 1AA and 2AA.

Construction seems flimsy, especially the switch.

Since its not regulated, it might dim much quicker than an Arc AA does?

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
A lithium runs it a little brighter. They are slightly overdriven as stock using normal alkaline batteries. The leds have a blue tint (mine do, anyway)

I've modded one to run a single luxeon, and the L91 AA lithium runs about 30% more current.

Daniel

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Radagast,

I've been finding bunches of Dorcy LED lights at Ochard Supply & Hardware (OSH). As of yesterday there were:

2- gold, 1AA, 1 LED,
12- blue, 2AA, 4 LED
9-red, 2AA, 4 LED
8-silver 2AA, 4 LED
6-black 2AA, 4 LED

Take a look at OSH. They seem to have a previously unknown supply of Dorcy LED lights.

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
357 said:
Since its not regulated, it might dim much quicker than an Arc AA does?

[/ QUOTE ]
You are right, the output current of the ARC varies a bit less as input voltage varies. To see the Iout vs Vin of the two compared, see this thread:
ARC AAA vs Dorcy AAA converter performance
EDIT: It is my understanding that the Dorcy 1AAA and 1AA use the same circuit with the exception that the inductor is physically larger in the 1AA. This is hearsay, I have not personally examined the 1AA circuit.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got the 1AA at Target in Bowie, MD. There were about 3 left after I got mine. The switch was giving me some problems, so I exchanged it at the Target in Glen Burnie, MD. Got the last one. The switch on the new one is better, but not by much. I'd hate to see a poor switch be this light's undoing, but I doubt that will be the case because the Dorcy is affordable and has great outptut.

Radagast

Enlightened
haveblue. Thanks. I haven't seen an OSH for a while in So Cal. I'll look for one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Taking the clip ring off the back of my 1AA and one of my 4 AAA has made the switch better on both. Have to be a bit careful opening it up, but I can live with that!

The 2AA 4LED is something else! I think it is damn nice!

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Playboy, can you explain what you mean about taking off the clip ring? I'm not following.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, the switch is the main bad thing about the Dorcy. My Dorcys all have very good beams, but the switches are really bad. I wish they'd make a better switch, I don't mind paying a few bucks more for a better switch.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
If you don't mind paying a few bucks for a better switch.....

I pulled the clickie switch from the tailcap of a Garrity 2AA mini-mag like light and
put it in my mod. The Dorcy 1AA mods thread has a description of the two or three things that I had to do to make it work.

It's realllllly nice.

Daniel

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I mean that wire 'hanger' piece on the button. You can spread it open to get it off the button. It allows more travel, with less chance of staying on or being accidently activated.

Once the wire is gone, the guts of the tailcap will fall out.

On both lights I took the wire off of, both had been troublesome. No longer!

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joe Shmoe, it worked. Taking the wire hanger off really improved the action of the switch. However, I noticed that now you can't lock out the tail switch because w/o the wire there is no limit to how far in the button can be pushed. Not gonna lose any sleep over it though. Still love this little light.