Thread Lube

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anti_Candescent

Enlightened
Hey, I had to clean my ARC the other day, and I need to clairify what the thread lube is. I read to check radioshack for Silicone grease, they have "silicone based grease" but it says its for heatsinks and other stuff, is this the stuff?

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably not if it's a white paste. Silicon dielectric grease can be found at auto parts stores. The lube is used for spark plug boots.

BTW...welcome anti-c. Hope you find us worthwhile.

Anti_Candescent

Enlightened
I picked up some permatex dielectric grease on jayflash's note -thanks- and it seems to do the trick (maybe a little thinner than the stuff from the factory?) It seems to work good on the o-ring. So now I'm wondering, what is used on a new one at the factory? (forgive me if its posted somewhere)

N162E

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Crash said:
I got a little jar of silicone o-ring grease from a dive shop. The small jar will probably last until I die.

[/ QUOTE ]

The silicone grease you get at the dive shop is the "Perfect" product for this use. You want to stay away from anything petroleum based (Vaseline) as it may affect the rubber O ring. The Radio Shack product is called "Professional Lube Gel" and is made up of silicone and Teflon. I've used the Radio Shack Lube Gel for several years and been very happy with it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
!!!

I wouldn't do it. I've found that WD40 is good for nothing, except maybe driving out water or as a light duty cleaner/degreaser. At worst, it will eat your o-rings (although probably not the nitrile ones that Arc uses). At best, it will strip off what little grease you had left, and then dry out leaving nothing.

Anti_Candescent

Enlightened
I think my Permatex electrical grease will be kosher, eh?

...and I thought of a good question, do you have to not mention some brands that you use if they haven't okayed it?
Or are these insider secrets here?) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using Permatex for years with good results. Some guys rub a thin layer on car door and trunk gaskets to keep them from ripping when it rains or snow melts and freezes.

Anti_Candescent

Enlightened
Thanks for the info jayflash. Its something simple, but really the only thing aside from batteries it needs to work well. Do you think it aids the battery contact in staying clean?

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd keep the lube off of any contact surfaces as the silicone is a DIELECTRIC - a non conductor. Usually the contacts pierce through a surface film but it could cause a problem between the cells with their smooth contacts.

I treat all contact surfaces with Caig DeOxit. There are other (maybe better) contact treatments too.

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Caig DeOxit

I tend to agree with jayflash. I have been wiping the silicone off my threads. Caig Deoxit is available at electronics suppliers as a contact cleaner. It comes in sprays and bottles of different concentrations. Mailorder places like Markertek, Mouser, MCM, RadioShack usually have it. Deoxit is well recommended for electrical contacts. I'll often clean a contact with alchohol, then wipe with a bit of Deoxit.

Status
Not open for further replies.