1W Luxeon @ Cdn Radioshack?

CanadianGuy

Newly Enlightened
Hey all. I was looking at a "Nexxtech" 1W Luxeon at my local Radioshack here in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. They want $49.95 CDN + tax for it, and it doesn't have any tech info on the package. Is this a ripoff? It seemed bright, but like another post here said, it was ringy. I'm not sure if I should spend that kind of money on a light that may be unregulated and possibly "outdated" (if this is the case with there being 3 and 5 watt LS's out??)

P.S. I got an ARC AAA for xmas and i love it.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
I've wondered about it too. I strongly suspect it's a Nuwai. See http://www.nuwai.com.tw

I'm steering away from it since I prefer AA cells over AAA. I think Luxeons are too hungry for AAA and these cells are too expensive for the energy you get with them.

I'm waiting for either a Streamlight Jr. Luxeon (2AA) or for a light that waynej at ElektroLumens is considering; it'll be either a regulated 2AA or direct drive 3AA.

Murishwi

Newly Enlightened
I bought it and it is the Nuwai. It is regulated, if you look down the body you can see the PCB with a coil and SMT capacitors. It works great with AAA's that are too weak for my wifes Palm Pilot. It's a good light (not great) good.

Of my 1W LS flashlights I use this the most (My SaberLite is waiting at the post office)

PS - That is a good price for CDN $.

CanadianGuy

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Murishwi said:
...It's a good light (not great) good.

...PS - That is a good price for CDN $.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm... I'm surprised to hear that. Usually Radshack has some of the highest prices. Well, I'm a lightaholic. Not so much a flashaholic. I'm not sure if I want to spend that kind of money at this point. I'm hoping to find a house soon, and I'm sure any money saved is a good thing. But man, it sure was white and bright when the guy fired it up!

Thanks... I may end up giving in and buying it. Unless someone says "do not buy this light". Heheh.