Out of warrenty repair for seconds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJHitt

Enlightened
I seem to have killed my LSL-P by dropping it three feet to a tile floor.
Now, no light, no flicker, no nothing.
Checked the contacts, checked the batteries, tried a different tailswitch.... nothing.

This was purchaced as a second, but I'm interested if I have any options to upgrade/repair/replace.

I realize there was a degree of risk in buying a second, but thought I'd at least ask before pitching the light.

Peter, my applogies if you'd rather I'd taken this up with you off-line.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
dont pitch it.
many here can open it and repair what died.
i just opened and modded a second for overdrive.
i would contact arc directly before doing anything.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can repair anything /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Seriously, if Arc won't repair it, and you have a serious attachment to this particular light, I can probably figure out what's wrong with it and repair it. It may or may not be worth repairing depending on the damage but you make the determination of what's worth it or not.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
You can always send it to a CPF member who will fix it and donate it someone who doesn't have one. That way someone gets to experiment with it and someone else gets a light that they could not otherwise afford.

How you determine a proper recipient? I don't know. Maybe a permanent pass-around?

Daniel

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you need it serviced send it to me.
got lots of practice building /modding greykits so no big deal to fix that.would be interesting to see what died in the fall.

JJHitt

Enlightened
Thnaks.. I may take you up on that. I was hopeing for a reply from Peter, but it doesn't look like I'm getting one.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry JJHitt. This thread is similiar to the one on the Arc4 second which I responded to several times. My mind mixed them up and I thought I responded to both threads somehow. But this is a seperate thread.

The same thing applies though. Seconds come with a shorter warranty period (15 day versus lifetime). You can send it back and we will see if we can fix it. When we fix a second out of warranty, we charge you for the repair. However, if we fix it under warranty (other than abuse) the repair is free to you.

Since:

1. it is a second
2. the warranty period is expired
3. the light is broken
4. You want it repaired
5. We charge a fee ($) to repair lights that our not under warranty

By all means, I strongly recommend you let us repair it. We have a intimate knowledge of our lights and will provide the best possible repair.

I also STRONGLY recommend you buy our factory firsts. This is how we really prefer to do business. Then we can provide an excellent lifetime warranty. In the case of dropping your light, even though you caused the failure by dropping the light, we would still pay to fix it for you since we strive to have a good reputation among our customers. We also don't want you to have to worry about owning an Arc.

I should say even though we will fix lights that are dropped for free under the warranty, we won't fix all types of abuse. I make an exception with reasonable drops (under 10 feet) because that just happens to a lot of flashlights and I don't want you guys to baby our lights unnecessarily. So us charging you (in the purchase price) to repair some types of abuse for "free" means that the average user will have a more positive experience than if we were to charge you for all types of abuse.

Anywho..

When selling seconds, we sell them at cost or below. I would prefer that we sold them at a higher price so we could afford to provide "free" repairs later on. Maybe a service plan is in order? We have that in place already actually and it is bundled into the cost of the factory first and included with the other features like a better cosmetic, beam, output, etc.

I have tried to not make this complicated while still providing you several purchase options including a chance to get a great light for a steep discount.

I hope this helps.

Peter

Skyline

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Gransee said:
5. We charge a fee ($) to repair lights that our not under warranty

[/ QUOTE ]

Any guesstimates on how much a repair fee like this would run?

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm. Let us start with a shop rate of $45/hr and whatever parts need to be replaced. Most LS repairs will require a new retaining ring ($4), optic ($4) or LED ($14). Send me an email and I can do an estimate.

Again, if it is a factory first and did not suffer abuse beyond a 10 ft drop the repair will be free. Of course, we ask that you pay to ship it to us but we will pay to ship it back. This is splitting some of the cost for a problem we do not get to see until the light arives at our facility.

Peter

ZuluWhiskeyFox

Enlightened
Peter, I for one like the service plan idea for seconds. To bad it wasn't built into the selling price in the beginning like it is for your firsts. Somewhere in your I think FAQ you state that there is a lifetime warranty on ALL Arc flashlights. There is no mention of an exemption for seconds. I realize the exemption to that statement is there on the page where one buys these seconds. Would be nice though if the original statement (the one found in the FAQ) was truly the case for ALL your lights.

I degress, I have an Arc4+ second and thus far I'm very happy with it.

PluckyPleco

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
zuluwhiskeyfox said:
To bad it wasn't built into the selling price in the beginning like it is for your firsts.

[/ QUOTE ]

In buying a second you, the user, are taking a risk. You are being rewarded for taking that risk by saving money. Peter wins because he collects money for a light that he wouldn't otherwise sell (and he needs to be given full credit for that because you betcha some other flashlight makers won't have any qualms about selling them...).

You, the buyer, make a choice.

If a life time service agreement is important to you, CHOSE to buy a first.

Peter is a heck of a nice guy, and gets a lot of kudos for listening to his customers, but the paperwork and hassles of offering an optional service plan on lights that he is essentually doing us a favor in selling HAS to be a losing proposition for him...

Would you rather he focus his resources on service agreements for seconds or engineering newer/better lights?

I KNOW.

First $125.
Second $95.
Second with service plan $124.

Pleco

JJHitt

Enlightened
Ummm... thanks for the replies... still not sure how to address the "repair or replace" question.

(where's that Magic 8-Ball I used to have....)

PluckyPleco

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
JJHitt said:
still not sure how to address the "repair or replace" question.

[/ QUOTE ]
Peter says email him. I'm pretty sure you'll like whatever answer he comes up with...

Plec

ZuluWhiskeyFox

Enlightened
Pleco,
Peter himself planted the seed in his reply to this thread. I just put some water on it. Have no fear, Peter will do whatever makes the most sense.

cheers,
zwf

Status
Not open for further replies.