opinions/info on this Feit pivot head flashlight?

bcm00re

Newly Enlightened
If anyone has any experience with the flashlight below (or one that looks very similar like the iProtec Pro-500 RC) I would like to hear your opinion of the light. I would also like to know the size of the battery. Thanks...

https://mobilecontent.costco.com/live/resource/img/static-us-pdf/100526090-Spec.pdf

Product Details
This Feit Electric Rechargeable Mini Flashlight provides a bright 500 lumens on high, 250 lumens on low and strobe effect. This extra bright mini flashlight includes a clip so you can clip on to a belt, clothing or a hat. Also, the pivoting head and magnetic base allows for convenient hands free use. Compact size to keep in your purse or bag or even in your vehicle for emergencies. Micro USB charging cable included.

Features

• High and low beam​
  • Strobe effect​
  • Pivoting head​
  • Magnetic base for hands free use​
  • Includes a clip so you can clip on to clothing, hat or belt​
  • Includes a micro USB charging cable​
Specifications

• Feit Model # FL500/MINI/3​
  • Lumens: 500 on high and 250 on low​
  • Charge time: 3 hours​
  • High beam run time: 1 hour​
  • Low beam run time: 2.5 hours​
  • Rechargeable and replaceable 650 mAh Li-Ion battery​

Last edited:

bcm00re

Newly Enlightened
OP, your photos above appear to be "hotlinked" ... please edit to rehost / remove. Thanks in advance.
Sorry about that. I have no place to host them so I just had to remove them. I could just put a link to the seller who is a big-box store, but then I'll get in trouble with mod Greta. I did that originally she removed the thread twice (the first with no explanation) accusing me of being a shill for warehouse store no less. Never thought it would be so difficult to start a discussion thread here. I posted the same links at BLF and they didn't have any issue with them.

bcm00re

Newly Enlightened
I found a product sheet from Feit and posted that link -- hopefully that's okay. It appears to show these lights use a 16340 battery. I suspected it would be that or a 18350 -- was hoping for the latter because of the potential for more capacity. I do still wonder if it is a protected cell or if the light has that circuitry. And I would still like to hear experiences/opinions if anyone has them. Thanks...

Last edited:

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are on special for $19.99 so I picked up a set. The cell in the 2 pivot head lights appears to be protected and is rated at 700mAh. The lights themselves are alright, very bright with the included cells, but much dimmer on a primary. There is PWM on low and low is not low. I have no idea what cell(s) are in the headlamp, but it is bright and has PWM on the not so low, low. I have yet to try charging any. They get pretty hot on high after a few minutes.

bcm00re

Newly Enlightened
I ran a capacity test on the included 16340 cells using my smart charger; both registered slightly over their rated capacity with one being 736 and the other being 744 mAh.

Last edited:

bcm00re

Newly Enlightened
Here is a link to an image of the pivot light with some minor deconstruction:
view

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18bdOt9EsXLtQpx77Gf44A3PX2-i6-c8j/view?usp=drivesdk

bcm00re

Newly Enlightened
So after having used the lights for awhile, I feel like their PWM flickering is just too noticable. Anyone have any suggestions on how I might be able to fix that? I am thinking that perhaps I can replace the driver board, but I don't have much experience in modding flashlights (but I do have soldering skills and equipment).