Stinger Charger, fast or slow?

pilot4x4

Enlightened
I've decided that a Stinger will meet my needs for a rechargeable light for the time being. I have a question though about which charger I should get. I'll be using the light about 90 minutes a night but with about a 3 hour break after about halfway through the amount of time I'll be running it(45 min). Should I go with the fast charger or the Standard Piggyback? Any idea what the current draw is for both? I'll be running the charger mostly off the inverter in my motorhome so I'm trying to conserve power as much as possible. I'm sure the fast charger has a higher draw but for a less time, when it drops to it's maintaince charge is it less draw than the regular charger? John

pilot4x4

Enlightened
I found the current draw listed on the Streamlight site so that part of my question is answered.
Fast charger: .5 - .7 amps for up to 2 1/2 hours, then .1 amp slow charge.
Slow charger: .2 amp

Those of you that have the fast charger how good of job does it do of detecting a fully charged battery? Lets say that you use the light 10 minutes and drop it back in the charger. Does the fast charge shutoff after just a few minutes or will it continue longer? Also how hot does the battery get compared to running on slow charge?
John

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
pilot4x4 said:
I found the current draw listed on the Streamlight site so that part of my question is answered.
Fast charger: .5 - .7 amps for up to 2 1/2 hours, then .1 amp slow charge.
Slow charger: .2 amp

Those of you that have the fast charger how good of job does it do of detecting a fully charged battery? Lets say that you use the light 10 minutes and drop it back in the charger. Does the fast charge shutoff after just a few minutes or will it continue longer? Also how hot does the battery get compared to running on slow charge?
John

[/ QUOTE ]

I am hoping this quote helps you out:

IMPORTANT: Before making electrical connections in a vehicle, keep in mind that a shorted auto battery can
deliver hundreds of amperes, which can easily start a fire. Make all connections with insulated lugs or other
connectors intended for such use. Be sure that your installation is fused.

The Stinger when charging on a standard charger draws a constant .2 amperes from a vehicle. If the optional fast charger is used, it will draw between .5 and .7 amps for up to 2 1/2 hours during the fast charge period. During maintenance charge, current is pulsing and effectively draws .1 amps until fast charge is re-started. We ordinarily recommend that the charger be connected directly to the battery, through a 1-5 amp fuse, or that it be connected to an unswitched terminal on the vehicle fuse block. However if the vehicle is used infrequently, the charger should be connected to an ignition key-switched terminal to avoid draining the vehicle battery. If this is the case, it may be preferable to use an AC charger rather than leaving the Stinger in a vehicle to ensure that the Stinger receives a full charge. The optional Stinger fast charger should always be connected to an unswitched power source to prevent repeated and unnecessary fast charge initiation. When connecting the charger to a fuse block, the power lead goes to the connector that is dead with the
fuse removed. The striped power lead is positive and the unmarked lead is negative. Since the charger body is electrically isolated from the charge circuit, positive ground installations are not a problem. The Stinger is diode protected and if connected in reverse polarity simply won't operate until connected properly.

CHARGING
Fully charge your Stinger before first use. Several charge/discharge cycles may be necessary to achieve full
battery capacity. The Stinger is designed to be left in the charger continuously when not in use. This will ensure the Stinger is always ready for use, and there is no danger of overcharge. See Care and Use of Nickel-Cadmium Batteries for additional battery information.
To charge the Stinger, first turn off and insert it into the charger. The LED in the charger should light, indicating
charge current is flowing. A full charge will take approximately ten (10) hours, 2.5 hours for fast charging.
The Stinger should run for more than one (1) hour after a full charge.

NOTE: Leaving the lamp on after it becomes noticeably dim can reduce the useful life of the battery.

FAST CHARGING
If you have purchased a Stinger with an optional Fast Charger, the Stinger Fast Charger will charge a fully depleted Stinger battery in good condition within 2.5 hours. When the Stinger is placed into the fast charger, the red LED will light continuously, indicating the fast charge rate (700 ma) is being applied. Special circuitry senses when the battery has received a full charge, switches to a lower "maintenance" charge rate and causes the LED to blink, indicating the maintenance rate is being applied and that the Stinger has received a full charge. A secondary safety circuit will discontinue the fast rate after approximately 2.5 hours if for any reason the primary
circuit fails to terminate the fast charge.

PIGGYBACK CHARGER
When the battery is slipped into the charger, the red light will glow indicating that the battery is being charged at a steady rate. Charging will continue as long as power is applied to the charger. The battery may be continuously charged in the PiggyBack charger at any temperature above 0ºF. The light should go out when the battery is removed from the charger.

A. If it does not blink rapidly and continuously, indicating a full charge, within 2.75 hours of flashlight
insertion, examine the charger and installation for intermittent wiring that may be resetting the fast charge rate. If no obvious external fault is found, return the system to Streamlight for service.

B. If you notice that it always takes longer than 2.5 hours for the LED to blink, especially if the flashlight has not been fully discharged, return the system for service.

C. If at normal room temperatures the LED does not come on steady when you insert the flashlight, return
the system for service.

D. Proper function of the fast charge termination circuit can be tested by the following: Insert a flashlight
into the charger for at least 5 minutes. Without removing it from the charger, turn it "on". In approximately
ten (10) seconds, the LED should switch to blink mode.

see: http://www.streamlight.com/pdf/stinger.pdf source for above quote...

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do own the Stinger XT/HP with the fast/piggy back charge combination. The fast charger is a smart/intelligent charger meaning that it does detect a full capacity charge. It then steps down to the Maintanance Charge which is just a trickle... I have owned mine for over a year and it get's used daily and in my opinion it is quite a bargain for what you all get. I paid I think $125 for it a with the above charging combination and it comes with two batt sticks...

Blackbeagle

Newly Enlightened
Hmmm... Just a thought but if you are running it off an AC inverter, I'd consider switching to using the DC direct off the battery through a fuse. Since power savings is an issue, I'd think the inverter would be causing some loss along the way. Direct DC would bypass the inverter and reduce the total drain.