CMG Infinity Ultra replacement

Spike

Newly Enlightened
As a back up for a G2Z I carry a CMG Infinity Ultra. I like the size and the amount of light from such a tough package, but always in search of more light what else is there that is improves on this design.
I would sacrifice some run time but I still want it to run on AA's or AAA's. How do the Arcs compare? Or is there something better still?
I welcome your thoughts.

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
The arcs are nice but you won't get much, if any, more light from the AA or AAA. JamesWong, you quit teasing me with that nifty little inexpensive light or you better start giving out your paypal address /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spike,
The TerraLUX people have a single AA flashlight that uses a Luxeon LED, that will be much brighter than the Infinity. The only problem is they are not available yet, but when they hit retail, I will purchase one and give my thoughts. Have no idea if it waterproof and as tough as the Infinity, will have to wait for that one.

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I think of the posts here on CPF, and my own experience (not as extensive as many here) I conclude that the Ultra is the best of the one cell lights.

It is significantly larger than the Arc AAA, but unless you much prefer the small size of the Arc, the Ultra is more reliable. Lately there have been problems with the Arc AAA. It is, in my view, rather expensive for what one gets in comparison with the Ultra.

Jerry

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
jerryM

i think the better way to say is "the ultra is the best 1 AA cell light for its size, price and output"
i say this because ARC AA is actually better quality wise, though the price is about twice as much.

paulr

Flashaholic
If you don't mind two AA's, you can get an Arc LS series light with a 2AA tailpack. Those are very rugged and an LSH-P head with lithium AA's will run for around 5 hours with about 5x the brightness of the Ultra. The resulting package is a little bit smaller than a stock Minimag.

StuU

Enlightened
I've got 5 CMG Infinitys, including the Ultra. They get used a lot and are one of my favorite lites.

However, my ArcAA has got to be my overall 1-led favorite. It's just perfect in every detail and the twist-bezel is smooth as silk- unlike many of the CMGs. The light tint is nice and *warm* and not the old tired blue that we are all so used to. Nice balance. Stands on end. Perfect anodized finish.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I've got to agree with StuU. The Infinity is nice, but the Arc AA takes the form to the next higher level.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Arc AA's head is pretty hard to turn, whereas my Infinty Ultra's head is smooth as can be. The Arc is very blue, and the Infinity Ultra is warmer. Construction is equal between the two as far as I can tell, but the Infinity Ultra stomps the Arc AA as far as runtime is concerned. I do wish the Infinity ultra's reflector was shiny. Why would you not want it to reflect as much light forward as possible anyway? Also if the Infinity could stand on end, that would be a plus. That being said, I like them both about equally, with maybe one percentage point in favor of the Infinity Ultra.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
BigEd, with regards to your Arc AA head, I found that mine was pretty hard to turn at first too, until I tried changing batts... The Duracell that came with the light seems to be very slightly larger in diameter, and I can see some light rubbing of the battery against the body of the light near the bottom. Tried an Energizer instead and the head seems to turn very smoothly! Check it out and see if my theory works! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif BTW, yes, the Arc AA has a nicer form factor compared to the Ultra and is more expensive as well. Thats probably why I still baby my Arc AA and the Ultra gets used all the time!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Well, supposedly Gerber (who just bought over CMG) is going to come out with a new tailcap switch for their version of the Infinity Ultra, which makes me think that it might be possible for the light to stand on end. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Back to the original question, if you do a seach on the Homemade/modified section I think there was a very talented CPFer who modded his Ultra G w a Luxeon and a Kroll clickie as well. Can't remember who exactly but the thread should be there...

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like my Ultra-Gs reflector the way it is. Puts out a wider, smoother beam than the Arc, with no rings. Why polish it?
I wish it was shorter, with a butt end like the Arc, but still have another one on the way.

paulr

Flashaholic
The "reflector" isn't really a reflector and doesn't do much. Polishing it makes very little difference to the output, as various people have measured.

If you want a small, cheap AAA-powered light that's brighter than an Ultra, you might try a Princeton Tec Blast, which is 2AAA and incandescent and weighs less than the Ultra does. It's maybe 2x as bright as a stock Minimag, or about half as bright as a Surefire E1e.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Big_Ed said:
My Arc AA's head is pretty hard to turn, whereas my Infinty Ultra's head is smooth as can be.

[/ QUOTE ]

I found this to be true also, and this is one reason why I sold my Arc AA. Otherwise, my Infinity Ultra and the Arc AA were identical in performance. I think that the Ultras have more variability in beam quality, but you can always buy multiple units (two or three for the price of one Arc AA!), keep the best one, and sell the others.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
sizes_S.jpg

The Ultra-G variant available from CountyComm is probably one of best available.

Others worth considering are -

ArcAAA - smaller because of the AAA - so also shorter runtime - about the same brightness - but less coverage/side-spill - so for me not as useful.

Dorcy 1AAA (1LED) - low priced ($5.94 from WalMart) slightly brighter - about the same coverage/side-spill as the Ultra-G - beam not as even, but central hot-spot is wider - so for me it is actually "better" - my sample of two have good color - but I have had one that was more blue tinted. Not as well built - but more than acceptable - I EDC it because of the useful push button tail-switch.

Please see these:
Dorcy 1AAA #2 (vs ArcAAA vs Ultra-G vs Dorcy #1)

Light Coverage - spill-diameter Pics

Those coin cell LED lights are also worth having on the keyring as an "almost not there" backup - all are available with white LEDs with advertized runtimes (for the Photons) in the ballpark of 10-12 hours with some usable light. For really, really long (advertized) runtime the Photon yellow, orange or red LEDs claim about 120 hours. Most coin cell LEDs are available in red - but some people have difficulty see under red light.

However conversely some people seem to see better in terms of contrast and definition (but obviously not color rendition) under yellow/amber light. Of the group only Photons are available in yellow - probably Photon 2 is the choice.

Although there was/is a CMG Infinity in yellow - that runs long on a single AA.

Spike

Newly Enlightened
well thanks for your thoughts, there doesn't seem to be a convincing arguement to replace the Ultra which is a pity as I'm always looking for an excuse to get another light!

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll also suggest the Infinity Ultra, great light and runs on cheap AA's. The ARC is nice to look at but the Infinity is slightly brighter and puts out more spill, you can get two Infinitys for the price of one ARC and still have change for batteries.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
If you don't mind two AA's, you can get an Arc LS series light with a 2AA tailpack. Those are very rugged and an LSH-P head with lithium AA's will run for around 5 hours with about 5x the brightness of the Ultra. The resulting package is a little bit smaller than a stock Minimag.

[/ QUOTE ]

My "mandatory" EDC (twisty) along with ARC AAA

Brightnorm

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
An Infinity with a 3 LED head or maybe with an under driven Luxeon would be aces!

fishface

Newly Enlightened
How about a shorelight VX1 1aaa 4 light levels size between an arc aaa and infinity. Its one of my most used lights.