A good EverLED host

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently got and EverLED drop-in, and I have found that it works very well in this Energizer Contractor Work Light. This light has both a 2AA and a 2D version, and I have the AA version. It's quite large for a 2AA flashlight, and some people may balk at the size. However, it has a nice large reflector (as big as many C or D flashlights) that give a strong hotspot with a smooth surrounding corona. The reflector is partially faceted and partially smooth. The pushbutton switch is very easy to use. An additional bonus is that the bulb is held in place by a broad aluminum cap, which conducts a lot of heat away from the EverLED.

The EverLED gives good output on the two AA cells, but right now I'm getting slightly brighter output with three N cells. I had to tape the N cells together and make an aluminum foil extension to do this, as you might expect. I have already checked the battery compartment and found that it's wide enough to accommodate four AAA cells in either a series (6 V) or 2x2 (3 V) arrangement. It may even be possible to cram 8 AAA cells in there. The only necessary modification would be to construct a battery carriage with the appropriate length and wiring arrangement.

I imagine that the 2D version could accommodate similar arrangments of AA cells.

Does anyone else have a favorite host light for their EverLED?

Kiu

Enlightened
I had seen this light before. At that time, I also wonder how will it perform with luxeon. As it contain a really large reflector, I guess it can give a very good throw. After reading your comment, I may try it. I will perfer a 2D version if i can buy one here. But the problem is I dont have a EverLED at all. Could you suggest me where is a good place to purchase? Also, how thick is that aluminium cap? thx~
By the way, I guess most people here host there everled in the big mag.

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the Dorcy lights like the Craftsman 3D with the large hunk of Al for a heatsink. ledcorp.com has the Our Best Aluminum 4AA light, works great with the HD Epieon and OK with the SE EverLEDs...the batt holder seems strained with alkalines or NiMH, though (they're a tad longer than heavy duty cells). The Craftsman "wastes" 40mA for its power level indicator LED. No big deal with a 750mA incandescent, but more significant with a 300-400mA EverLED, even bigger deal with the Epieon which gets down below 100mA when the batts aren't frest.

Dunno where you can find this type of light branded "Dorcy" though.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Xminxm said:
But the problem is I dont have a EverLED at all. Could you suggest me where is a good place to purchase? Also, how thick is that aluminium cap?

[/ QUOTE ]

I got my EverLED at TheLEDlight.com, but I think that BrightGuy also has it. The aluminum cap is pretty thin, but it is about 1.5 inches in diameter. The 2D version may have a larger cap.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, I have a host ready to go, but no Everled yet... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Its a Coleman 2AA light, and with the clickie tailcap, I really like the form factor. For that price, what more could you want? And of course the good ol' Anglelight is a cheap and easy find too...

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got the 2D Energizer Contractor light today and tested it out with the EverLED. The beam is excellent, even running off the 3 volts that the batteries supply. There is a sharp hotspot and a smooth, gradually diminishing corona. The downside is that this flashlight is huge. But the very large, almost lantern-sized reflector certainly does its job.