Which SureFire?

matt1987

Newly Enlightened
Hello everybody, i have a hard time selecting SureFire lights, now my options are C2 Centurion HA, C3 Centurion HA and G2Z. which 1 should i get? how about brightness and thow? how far can they go? HA stands for Hard Anodized.

CaseyTan

Newly Enlightened
hi matt, welcome to CPF /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

first of all, the diff between G2Z/C2 & C3 is the brightness, and the extra battery /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif G2Z and C2 uses the same lamp modules, therefore same brightness and throw. As C3 uses a P90 lamp module, rated at 105 lumens, you should have more throw on this.

G2Z is made of Nitrolon and C2/C3 aluminum, G2Z is lighter than C2, and cheaper too.

Any other concerns ?

jhereg

Enlightened
If it was me I would go with either the G2Z for an inexpensive nitrolen based light or the C3 for a much brighter light w/ the P91 for 200 lumens. What do you want it for? For general use the G2Z is hard to beat. The C2 & G2Z are going to have the same brightness & throw. 60 lumens (or is it 65) for the P60LA & 120 for the P61. If you go with the C3 you can use the P90LA for about 120 lumens or the P91 for about 200. (I might be off on those numbers, but they are at least close.) For brightness & throw I would pick the C3 w/ the optional P91 HOLA.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Welcome to CPF, Matt 1987 and stay awhile!

You'll find lots of opinions here on those lights, do a quick search for them by clicking the search button above.

Personally, I prefer the C2 because I like look and feel of the aluminum body, the solid grip provided by the ring and the handy clip for stable carry. I keep a P61 lamp in it all the time.

The C3 is nice, but too big for pocketing, for me that outweighs the 3 battery advantage. Obviously, since you do have 3 batteries, and a P90/P91 lamp, this will be the brightest of the three. The other two both have the pyrex lens, so you can get 65 lumens for 60 min or 120 lumens for 20 minutes with them, compared to 105 or 200 lumens with the P90/91.

And the G2Z is a favorite around here, for its tough polymer body, easy cold weather carry, and included lanyard/lanyard ring. Lots of folks prefer this to C2 or Z2. It's also less expensive than C2/C3/Z2, so you have more cash left over for other lights!

Welcome again,
daloosh

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Matt,

Do a search on "G2Z" in thread titles and go back up to 2 years, and you will hear some pretty serious praise of the G2Z. Personally, I would go with the G2Z unless you want to be able to clip it to your belt/pocket, in which case go with the C2. You definitely want the grip ring. I found that the 6P/D2 body, without the grip ring, was simply too un-ergonomical for me. My grip kept slipping forward. The grip ring is awesome! And the grip of the G2Z will be so much the better than the C2 because the C2 has a square-ish cross section due to the flat spot for the clip, whereas the G2Z is round.

If you want a 3 cell SF, definitely, hands down, go for the M3 or M3T. (Do a search, there is at least one thread on this question) I got rid of my SureFire stuff some months ago, but if I ever buy another SureFire, it would be an M3. That torch feels so good in the hand, and it looks great. It took me a little while to get used to the looks of it, but once I did, I fell in love with it. Plus, if you have the turbo head, you can use the N2 LA, which according to resident SF experts is "DA BOMB". A real nice beam. Plus the M3 has a Shock Isolated bezel while the C3 does not. If you drop that baby on it's head, bye-bye P61. If you do decide to get a C3, splurge for an M2 SI bezel. And of course, HA is worth every extra penny and then some. So don't get a non-HA C2/C3.

Just some opinions for you. Others will have a different take.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to the group!

How do you intend to use the lights? For work? Police? Security?

Do you intend to carry them with you all the time? while wearing a uniform, casual clothes, a business suit?

If you are confused in making a decision, if you can articulate what you need the light for, that in itself will help you make up your mind. After that we can help by saying this or that might be better.

GregR

stockae92

Enlightened
i personally have a G2Z, cause it's cheaper, lighter, more scratch resistance and have the combat grip (i am not intending to use it with a handgun though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif )

i chose G2Z over C2 cause i like it's lighter, cheaper and the material absorbs shocks better (i would imagine that's less likely to break the bulb assembly due to a fall).

if you want more light and throw of P90/P91, then definitely go for the C3 HA.

otherwise, it really comes down to the personal preference on choice of materal. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

matt1987

Newly Enlightened
ya, i heard that NITROLON is impervious to corrosion and chemical damage. what will happen to (G2Z NITROLON) when dangerous chemicals comes in contact with the G2Z? what will happen to Hard Anodized SureFire when dangerous chemicals comes in contact with them?

matt1987

Newly Enlightened
ok, i see. but i don't understand, C3, M3 & M3T are 3 Cell lights. but why are the Lumens rating of M3 & M3T SO HIGH? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

matt1987

Newly Enlightened
i'm using it for home, outdoor, lighting for walking home(if i come home late), maybe self defence(no guns, just SurerFire, singapore cannot carry firearms). it will be a daily carry light in my uniform and casual clothes.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
you should go with the G2Z...the M3 is larger and much more expensive. the higher lumens output of the M3 is likely to be due to its larger reflector (as compared to the P90/P91 lamp assemblies).

alternatively you could get an A2 if its within your budget. the LEDs make a good walking light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
The M3 is designed to get the most out of the bulb and reflector technology with the MN10 & MN11. It is more efficient then the Classic 9V SureFires (P90 & P91).

The M3 (MN10/11) and M3T (MN15/16) bulbs are the same.

Al

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
matt1987 said:
ya, i heard that NITROLON is impervious to corrosion and chemical damage. what will happen to (G2Z NITROLON) when dangerous chemicals comes in contact with the G2Z? what will happen to Hard Anodized SureFire when dangerous chemicals comes in contact with them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a serious concern of yours? What kind of chemicals will your be around? If you anticipate use around any kinds of chemicals other than household cleaning fluids you need o talk to the safety department of your school.

From your other posts I would recommend the G2Z for you. It will provide enought light for your apparent needs, uses only two cells and is smaller and easier to carry than the C3 or M3. Although have you considered the E2e if available? It is just as bright for all intentions, is way smaller and can be adapted with Led heads KL1 and KL4.

GregR

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
i was just wondering if nitrolon is able to withstand paint thinner /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif anyone knows? i'm not about to sacrifice my G2Z /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

stockae92

Enlightened
maybe somebody's G2 bezel or tail cap is good for the test ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif (minimizing the cost)

in the name of science /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

matt1987

Newly Enlightened
yes, household chemicals, workshop chemicals, those chemicals that are use to bond materials together, thinner also, those use to remove paint from your hands and clothes.

Blikbok

Enlightened
I think the 3-cell Surefires are the "hidden" secret of the SF line. (Oh, for a G3 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ) If you can find an HA C3 on clearance and add an M2 bezel, great. I got a pair on clearance, upgraded both, and run them on 2 Pila 150s rechargeables.

I am also a big fan of the "combat" syringe grip.

However, for daily use, the 2-cells are much more portable. Anything that is uncomfortable you will leave at home eventually.

I don't think you will be unhappy with the G2z.

Blikbok

Enlightened
Talk to a Surefire dealer on CPF. Ask for an M2 Bezel in HA. They should be able to find the part number and order it from SF as a replacement.

The "combat" grip is nice because it allows you to point the light and use the tailswitch without the "icepick" grip. You sound like you will be very happy with the G2z. Of all the SFs I have, the ones I use most have the "combat" grip, and I've even retrofitted a cheap imitation with rubber gaskets onto my other lights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif