Headlamp for friend(Coon Hunting)???

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any suggestions? don't want him to have to settle for some cruddy incandescant one if possible. looking for something Luxeon based and probably with a waist-battery pack.

Wonder if Wayne J.(elektrolumens) can do something for him??

olephart

Newly Enlightened
Taste like Owl. I prefer them B-B-Qued.

If he's a serious Coon hunter (aren't they all?), look at the Petzl Myo 5.

juancho

Enlightened
LED's don't have a place in coon hunting, serious coon hunters use Nite-Lite products, lights that are powered by rechargeable battery that last from 5 to seven hours of use, they have a rheostat to vary the intensity as you need a light for walking-running in the woods and a more powerful for shooting.
Also they attach to a special cap with a clamp and wear the battery in a belt, that is also special as sometimes it come with suspenders to help with the weight of the battery.
You can see a full line at HuntSmart.com
prices range from $80.00 to $250.00 for the most sophisticated.
Juan C.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I built a R/O luxeon mag for a hunter, and I tested it on several racoons. At disntances, they either couldn't see it, or weren't bothered by it. As soon as I turned on my green luxeon though, they fled.

What's cool about it, is any animals eyes light up red and reflect back at you, even when you can't see the animal. Really makes em stand out!!

juancho

Enlightened
The racoons can see the green light, but not the red, that is why the filters that many people use over their lights is red.
The red will illuminated the eyes the same, and as a bonus it will preserve your night vision.
Juan C.