Q for those with High Spec Lasers

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my replacement leadlight laser today and it pretty much does the same thng as the last one. It is bright for a second then dims and then gets bright again....This one does it much faster than the last one though.

Second I just have this sinking feeling that someone has already messed with the button. The first time I turned it on the button stuck in. But it seems to work fine now. The button is raised higher in the back than in the front. I measured the current with my multimeter and this one is pulling about 320 ma..again just cowincidence or what?

Another thing I noticed is that when held about 1 inch away from the wayy I can see major artifacts in the beam, one is like a wide line where there is no light at all! Looks almsot like there is water on it, the edges of the line with no light are bright. When I point it about only a few feet from the wall there is the normal white spot and another dot off to the side that is very dim...

Is it typical for leadlights to have these artifacts because I did not notice them in my old one.

Appreciate anyone who looks into this...perhaps I am just too picky or something,

Thanks..

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
here are some pictures to help

lasernew1.jpg

In this one you can see the secondary Spot

lasernew2.jpg

In this one and the following picture you can see the beam artifact to the left.
lasernew3.jpg

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
The artifacts don't look good but every green laser I've seen has had the primary dot that was NOT CENTERED in a larger green corona.
I asked about it when our resident laser modifier (Dwight?) was still around and he said this was normal.
Something about the way the beam had to be filtered inside the unit meant that it came out at the tiniest of angles.
All of my lasers also had a small "warm-up" period where they were dimmer when first pushed and then brightened 1/2 second to 1 second later.
None of them dimmed again after this warm-up.

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
odd both my high spec units are extreamly bright, then go dim, then get bright again. But this one has a bad artifact and the lense appears dirty. Also concerned with the button, since that was my first thought, but I dunno...

What is the best way to clean the lense on these things? Perhaps that will solve the problem? Although I dunno about removing the artifact that is probably permanent.

I think my only option is to send it in a get a refund or live with this unit though...I don't believe I can send it back for another replacement...I don't know what to do.

not concerened with the dot being centered... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/knight.gif

lasercrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
My high spec unit looked worse than that when I got it. I look a damp tissue and twisted it then rubbed it across the lens a few times. I then took a dry part of the tissue and wiped the water off. Looks great now, and it has a nice dot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used a cotton swap and cleaned the lense, most of the fuzz around the lense disapeared. But the strange artifact is still there, as is the secondary dot off the the side. I think the secondary spot might be caused by the artifact, perhaps the lense is scratched or there is something behind it liek a hair /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif I guess I'll just live with it.....

Naquadah

Newly Enlightened
I guess its because diode alignment. When the diode is not correctly alignment (a shock can cause it), the collimating lens may cause that artifact. I have moved the diode for improving polarisation, and if I didn´t put it correctly a huge artifact would be created
Hope it will help you

C

Cosmic Superchunk

Justintoxicated, where did you get yours from?

C

Cosmic Superchunk

[ QUOTE ]
Justintoxicated said:
atlas nova

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought a high spec unit from Atlas Nova which would start to dim in less than a minute of use. I sent it back to Arnold with an explanation of the problem and he checked the unit and confirmed it was defective. He quickly sent me a replacement and I haven't had any problems with it since.

With the first unit I had, I do remember that when I would turn it on it would start off really bright and then dim progressively. I would definatley email Arnold about it and have him take a look at it. If there's something wrong with the unit, I'm sure he'll replace it.

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
THis is already a replacement Unit, My first one had some very strange dimming problems. Bascialy he told me he has this one or I can get a refund.

vladuz

Newly Enlightened
My 1.5W DPSS laser has around 10 small small artifacts, belive me, that's a CLEAN crystal!
Yeah, but think that it's 1.5W and any artifact will show up much much brighter than on a <50mW

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif..I guess I really should return it, but then I would have to buy one and modify it myself or something /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, it's no use, I jsut can;t get this laser to show a dot...I mean yea there is a dot, but there is always a haze around it..

I was shining it on the shed out my window (open window no screen) tonight, and I noticed there is enough of a haze around the dot to light up the side of the wall the laser is pointing out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I also noticed that with my new pointer my camera does not seem to be able to pickup pictures of the beam. I think my new Laser is even less powerful than the one it replaced... I'm starting to have second thought about this thing...I do not have much time these past 2 weeks to test because of finals and such...

I dunno what to do at this point..If I do return it where can I get another one? I doubt I can....

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
here are the comparison beamshot of my old laser I thought was defective, and my new one...

First the old one terminating in a tree in my neighbors yard...
oldlaserbeam.jpg

Here is a picture of my new one with the camera on the same settings. Terminating same tree, slightly different angle..Notice the spill on the ledge of my window, hence where the is a fuzzy haze around it as if the lense were dirty? Maybe the dist is behind the lense?
newlaserbeam.jpg

The new one is supposed to be more powerful than the old one... The new one acts about the same as the old one as far as dimming then getting brighter...Only sometimes it just Dims and does not get brighter, and I have even sceen it start out dim then go bright...It seems kinda random...

What do you all think? The new pic is taken off fresh batteries the old one was taken off slightly used batteries.

Naquadah

Newly Enlightened
By the way, in a 15mW unit it happens the SAME to me, it seems random the brightness... I think the fuzzy haze is normal

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Arnold told me that all of his remaining lasers (high-spec)have some varience from when you turn them on. So I'm not sure returning it would do any good unless you want a refund? Sometimes mine goes from dim to bright in 1 second and holds...After I let it cool and get back to it, it will got Bright then dim then bright. Sometimes it also appears brighter than other times....And sometimes there is no variation at all!

Very odd.