Commercially produced 20 Watt LED Bulb!

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the June 2004 Popular Mechanics Magazine, which arrived today, on page 110, is an article entitled "The Bright Stuff." It talks about CFL bubls, 3-way bulbs, and even <font color="red">20 watt LED bulb</font> which "produces light output equal to a 100-watt incandescent." It also has an LED under-cabinet flexible strip which has 5 LEDs.

I found this very interesting, and tried to look up the 20-watt LED on the Manufacturer's Website....but with little results. All I could find out of their huge lighting database was a press release with a May 2003 date on it. This is slightly disappointing to me....but at least this is supposed to be in existance! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Check out the LED under-cabinet light strip's Manufacturer but like the 20-watt bulb, I was unable to find the actual product mentioned in the aritcle.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I sincerely hope someone does suceed in finding the link! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Larry

robstarr-lite

Newly Enlightened
well back in November, i came across some info on one part of your article..........post #400567 and although that link does not work anymore, when it did that product [ LED under-cabinet flexible strip which has 5 LEDs ] was going to be sold at your local wal-mart.....at least i still hope it will...this info came to my knowledge thru a semi-conductor association email newsletter posting...

rob

Carbonium

Newly Enlightened
I have a RED Lamina BL-2000. It's a 18.73 watt LED at 348 lumens. It lights up my living room. It's going on my Motorcycle for a nice tail light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I'll post pictures if you want.

Here's some pictures of some 7 lumen SuperFlux Red LED's I installed on my golf cart today. 16 LED's per tail light.

The superflux taillight is on the left. The right are 2 regular bulbs. The superflux is setup to cover a full 180 degrees. The superflux measures 12 times the candlepower over stock even at a 150+ degree angle.
superflux_vs_stock1.JPG

Same setup with 2 fluorescent lights on.
superflux_vs_stock2.JPG

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Carbonium,

Nice! Where did you get your Lamina BL-2000? How much was it too?

I, personally don't mind the size of your pics, but I know other people do. Would you mind resizing them to fit on the page without scrolling around? Thanks.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I second that.
There is a cool resizer/graphics editor at www.tucows.com called irfanview thats free to download and keep.
I don't mind the way it is with my dsl and sharp 1600x1200 monitor view. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
For the poor pigrims with dial up and/or a smaller monitor, those really need to be resized to 640x480 max. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif
You can always use the url thingy to post a link to the nice big versions. (which I highly favor) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Carbonium

Newly Enlightened
Here's the 18 watt Lamina link:
Lamina BL-2000 Series Seven Cavity LED Light Engine
7 Cavity, Red $28.86 Mouser

Ledcar.com has the 7.3 lumen Red Superflux for 66 cents each. Free ship if you spend over $10. The Red-Orange 9.7 Lumens are awesome for 79 cents each. 14,600 mcd at 40 degrees.
Ledcar

They also the 16 LED Array pre soldered on a quality PCB for $15.36
16 LED Array

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmm. not bad price I guess. So it has 7 die? or more?
Nice tail light btw. I wonder if lamina makes a R/Orange as those usually make more lumens than red..

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder how bright a white on would be, and what power source to use. This could further close the gap on Incans if this is flashlight friendly.

Carbonium

Newly Enlightened
Here's the lamina. It's smaller then a dime.
lamina1.jpg

Here it is under driven putting out about 300 lumens and 100,500mcd with a 180 degree pattern. The flash is wiping it out.

I've measured it at over 25,000,000mcd with a 10 degree angle reflector.
lamina2.jpg

Words cannot describe just how bright this really is.

It's just too bright.

It's brighter then 10 brake lights in a tiny package that leaves you wondering
if those spots in your eyes will ever go away.

Treat these as "Very high powered laser". I use my auto shade welders helmet
lamina3.jpg

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Carbonium said:
More like 21 1-watt chips. Each of the 7 dies has 3 chips in it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I wonder if the white arrays are the ones being used for headlamp arrays in that high-end concept car.

Carbonium

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Kiessling said:
how does it handle heat?
bernhard

[/ QUOTE ]

The Lamina's efficiency is only about 20 lumens per watt.
It seems to require the same cooling as a Pentium 4 CPU.

The SuperFlux's are more practical if you don't need a
point source light. Up to 55 lumens per watt.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
Carbonium said:
...I've measured it at over 25,000,000mcd with a 10 degree angle reflector...

[/ QUOTE ]
Twenty five million mcd?!? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif
Holy cow, that's bright!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

*Retired*
Here is my Lamina RGB from March 01, 2004:
http://www.molalla.net/~leeper/lamina.jpg
http://www.molalla.net/~leeper/lamina2.jpg

Output of the LEDs has not been adjusted for
white output. It is heavy in the red.

Then there is the 140 Watt BL-3000 Red....
Talk about smackdown...

For the GE lamp, possibly go look at GE's LED site, GELCore.

[ QUOTE ]
Check out the LED under-cabinet light strip's Manufacturer but like the 20-watt bulb, I was unable to find the actual product mentioned in the aritcle.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can buy these at Walmart, fyi.

* 2650L 150W GE Reader bulb: 750H (17.7 L/H)
* 1800L 100W peclamp.com JT bulb, 2000 hours (18 L/W)
* 1764L 100W peclamp.com JT soft white bulb, 2000 hours (17.6 L/W)
* 1690L 100W GE A bulb: 750H (16.9 L/W)
* 1680L 90W GE (18.7 L/W) 90A/HAL 120V A-line bulb, 2000 hours
* 1300L 100W Feit Electric (13 L/W) BPO 100A/W TB bulb, 5000H, $6 incl postage from doityourself.com

Looks like a regular 100W bulb puts out about 17 lm/W
for about 1700 Lumens for 100W input.

White LEDs have hit 35 lumens under "perfect" conditions, while holding the LED die at 25C (yeah right, like that will happen in a lighting fixture...) 22Watts * 35 lm/W = 770 lumens

So, how do they get to their claims? Most LED makers, such as Luxeon like to design near "perfect " lighting fixture optics, then toss the bulb incandescent in a cheap off the shelf fixture. Then they do the measurements. To be fair, they need to properly design the fixture for the incandescent also, say utilizing the same amount of cash for the entire light, light source, and power supplies. If you really want to get nitty gritty, add in the cost of replacing bulbs, but don't forget about lumens going down over time on both types.

Funny how they always compare to the incandescent (decades old technology), instead of a halogen, CFL, T8 or T32, etc....

Carbonium

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]

Looks like a regular 100W bulb puts out about 17 lm/W
for about 1700 Lumens for 100W input.

[/ QUOTE ]

White LED's have years to go before they bust out and take over the home lighting market.

Red led's are making their move this year in Automotive applications.
Incandescent tail lights run about 15 lm/W but once they pass
through the RED lens they only transmit about 3-4 lm/W.

The Red-Orange Superflux runs about 55 lm/W or about 15 times
the lumens per watt and costs about 8 cents per lumen.

The right selection of LED's can finally outperform standard
brake/tail lights by a large margin. If you want "overkill" you can
reach 15 times brighter then stock with the same wattage. That is if
your budget can afford it.

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Carbonium said:
White LED's have years to go before they bust out and take over the home lighting market.

[/ QUOTE ]

Luxeon offers a replacement bulb for 12V home lighting systems, completely with buck regulator and for less than the not so bright multiple LED devices. Seems to me as a first step.

Of course red LEDs are far more beneficial, they are used in bicycle rear lights now for many years and have outnumbered the incandescent ones by far.