A dumb Tigerlight question >>>

bald1

Enlightened
Just received my FBOP version today, installed the UCL lens/gasket from flashlightlens.com, and set about charging the unit up.

The charger has a red light to indicate that the torch is properly seated but I find nothing in the instructions to indicate that there is any sort of "fully charged" indication. Did I miss something? Does it change to green? Or is the only way to know if the light is fully charged to simply make sure you've had it in the cradle 10 hours straight?

You'd think that it'd have some sort of indicator, but.....

--Bob

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
It stays red. It's a slow charger, so overnight is o.k. for a fully charged light.

--dan

bald1

Enlightened
Thanks Dano. It would have been nice for the LED to change to green to indicate a full charge, but what the heck. I can live with it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bob

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a "dumb" charger, just like the guy that asked this question! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bald1

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
It's a "dumb" charger, just like the guy that asked this question!

[/ QUOTE ]

Gesh! For just a second there I thought old Doc Welch was here giving me grief. Then I noted who da poser (yup no misspellings here) was. Gotta cut some slack to anyone living on the slopes of a "dormant" volcano. LOL

Gene, seriously, it's good to have you around to keep me in line. HAHAHAHAHA : /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I was going to answer your question but good 'ol Dan beat me to it. Same to ya' bud and rest in peace Doc!

bald1

Enlightened
Gene,

My signature on the knife sites has the following but I don't think folks here would know the other two gents:

"Never to be forgotten: James Mattis, Walt "Doc" Welch, and Rob Simonich"

All the best Gene!

--Bob

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
bald1,

BTW, it actually takes longer than 10 hours to charge the light. The 10 hour figure has been floating around for a long time, but it's not right. 11 hours times 185 mA equals just over 2000 mAH which is what the stock batteries are. Thus 12 hours is very certainly enough time for a full charge, but 11 will do. 10 is not quite enough, but it's close.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I believe the red light goes out when charging is complete. But I'm not absolutely, positively, 100% certain about that.
Best I can do here is pop my Tigerlight on the charger and see what happens.

bald1

Enlightened
Well the red light was still on when I got home tonight. It had been in the charger for 25.5 hours (initial charge). So that pretty much confirms what the gang said above about the charger being "dumb." All that light serves is to confirm that there are proper contacts between the torch and charger cradle.

The sun hasn't set here yet and I can still see the Tigerlight's beam off some of the stuff in my backyard. That's insane! Gesh! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

--Bob

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
The_LED_Museum said:
I believe the red light goes out when charging is complete. But I'm not absolutely, positively, 100% certain about that.
Best I can do here is pop my Tigerlight on the charger and see what happens.

[/ QUOTE ]

The LED only indicates that current is flowing, and current will flow with a fully charged pack or with a fully discharged pack or with anything in between. It serves as an indication that the light is in the cradle properly with both charging points touching the charging contacts.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I just now checked my Tigerlight, and the LED on the charger is still on. And the battery was nowhere near being discharged, so it would have gone out by now if it was a smart charger.

Guess I'll go unplug the charger, and update my Tigerlight page with the information about the charger and its LED. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif