UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
this caught my eye from March/2004 issue of Popular Photography -

LEDs Instead Of Flash? Ridiculous!
By Herbert Keppler
March 2004
http://popphoto.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=850

QUOTE:
Being a flashlight enthusiast (and, alas, a collector), I've been watching LEDs appear more and more often in flashlights. And the tiny, single-bulb LED flashlights on keychains that I gave as presents during the 2002 holiday season wound up becoming the only lights some of my New York City friends had as they trudged up and down countless skyscraper stairways during last year's blackout.

Even though some of these flashlight owners went up and down stairs many times, their flashlights never dimmed, and I haven't yet heard of one with burned-out batteries.

The batteries in my own, larger-LED flashlights using AA or C alkaline cells last 10 times longer than my incandescent-bulb flashlights. The beams of these flashlights are so strong that they can even hurt your eyes if you look at them directly.
UNQUOTE

(Herbert Keppler has been writing a monthly SLR column in Popular Photogrpahy and previously in (the now defunct) Modern Photography for about as long I can remember, all the way back to at least the '70's)

Aten_Imago

Banned
Mr Keppler is a great man indeed. He was probably the first writer I remember reading when I first got interested in photo. A real trooper.
Good find Vincent! Vincent..you as old as I am ?

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Aten_Imago said:
Vincent..you as old as I am ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be silly....

NOone can be as old as that! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh??? I am surprised to know Mr Keppler is a flashaholic??? I thought he is only a Minolta fan. I wonder if he knows about CPF.

Andy Ho

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
pjandyho said:I wonder if he knows about CPF.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wrote e-mail that the Pop Photo editor forwarded to him -
just got a reply that he'll check out cpf /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is so noble of you UnknownVT. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
Promote CPF to those who don't yet know.
Mr Keppler you there??? We welcome you on board!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif

Andy Ho