More Arc5 information.. (proto photos inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is more information on the Arc5 that is currently in development. The Arc5 is the most powerful version of our single cell Luxeon line. We are still on schedule to start shipping in the Q1 2005.

arc5proto1.jpg

arc5proto2.jpg

arc5proto4.jpg

Although the Arc5 was announced last year, it is still in development. These early protos show some of the possibilities for the design but I am still not satisfied with the result.

The Prelim Specs for the Arc5 have already been posted here but how about a recap for those just joining?

- Continuation of the Arc LS EDC line
- Single 123 power
- Microprocessor control (of course!)
- Next gen tint control reduces shift across power range
- New switch design has longer travel being states for better battery variation tolerance. Built-in limiter for greatly improved shock resistance.
- New software is more efficient, takes less space and executes faster allowing more levels, smoother operation, new features (as you requested), etc.
- Slimmer profile and shorter length than the Arc4.

With 4 times the die area in the LED and a more powerful power supply, I expect to more than double the output of the Arc4. However, the cost will be much higher as you would expect. I have previously estimated the cost in the neighborhood of $250 but this is an early estimate. This is a top of the line EDC light.

Of course, we will leverage our technology up to this point including user serviceable lens options (poly, UCL, Pyrex, etc), different battery packs, tail guards, clips, pouches, etc. We are also working on new packaging which I think you will like /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Of course, the light will be waterproof (goal is 100 ft) and come with a lifetime warranty from a name you can trust.

It is our pleasure to continue to provide the best in high performance pocket lights to you.

Enjoy!

Peter Gransee
Arc Flashlight

RayT

Newly Enlightened
Sweet. When are taking orders?

I am axiously awaiting my Arc4X and I may just have to purchase the Arc5 when they appear.

"He who dies with the most toys...Wins!"

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would expect to take orders about 1 month before we ship. I would say right after Christmas like we did with the Arc4.

Peter

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Nice looking tail cap Peter! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Geode

Enlightened
Very impressive, Peter! Gives us a while to save up. Thanks for the update.

sslavers

Newly Enlightened
this is so unfair!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif you MAKE me purchase the arc4 and its awsome!!! now you are going to MAKE me purchase the arc5!!! well..... I cant wait!! keep up the awsome work and the new tail design is sweet. thanks

sol lavers

Stickles01

Newly Enlightened
Great, thanks for the heads up, I appreciate all the information. I will definitely be getting one of these baby's!!!!

geek

Newly Enlightened
> New software ... new features (as you requested)

Can you provide any more details? Software features will determine the next light I buy - the Arc5 or one from HDS.

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
Slimmer profile? I assume that feature isn't apparent in the prototype you display.

Which beamshot is the Arc5? On my screen, the output from both appears comparable. The one on the left is more blue, and the other is greener. Are Lux5s more prone to a particular hue?

What can the user realistically expect to get in terms of runtime before the thermal kicks in, or the cell poops out? I thought most Lux5s had a fairly stiff Vf, and pumping more amps through it seems like a beastly load, even for lithium. IIRC, the short-lived LS3 was a two cell animal, wasn't it? I'd think a reliable 2x123 pack would be essential for some, even though most will prefer the shortness of a single.

At lower power levels, is the Lux5 more efficient than the 1 and 3 watt parts? If you get more photons per battery, that should be sufficient justification for many purchasers.

Neat light, Peter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I can't wait to see it for real.

Glenn

Enlightened
Now I know what to start saving for. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Glenn

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
geek, whatever happened to buying a light for things like light output, quality, service, etc? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif The software is still undergoing development and there is competition in the forums so I can't say everything. But you guys have asked for an easier modes of operation, less flashing and glowing at weird times, more efficiency, etc. Refined software can affect these things. We are also adding the little stuff like all 4 quick settings are user programmable, more levels in the pool, basic mode for new users, better response at low levels which permits dimmer levels in the pool, etc. Some of the software will also be usable on the Arc4 if you want to upgrade. If there is a particular feature you want in the software, let me know. Each suggestion must be wanted by many and doable with the technology. The new code base is being written by a full time programmer who is excellent at assembler. This is all he does, no extra baggage. As a result, his code is tight. Writing in C is for wimps (not to mention wasteful when writing for uCs). This will free up quite a bit of wasted space which will allow us to do more with this package size than anything else we have seen.

Ty, Yes. Slimmer profile. I consider the current size the biggest mistake I made in designing the Arc4. Remember, this is a prototype so things get changed everyday. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The proto is on the left in the picture above. Throw is about the same but the center spot is larger in area. The tint you are seeing is because I don't use my best LEDs in protos for obvious reasons.

Run times will be longer in the Arc5 for a similiar output in the Arc4. If the light is held in your hand, it can provide 15 minutes or so at one of the higher power levels. It is really too soon to say. If I had exact numbers on everything, I wouldn't be still working with prototypes. Right? Sorry, I know that is frustrating but rome wasn't built in a day. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Yes, at lower levels and for the same output, the Arc5 is defiantely more efficient than the Lux I and Lux III parts.

Not everyone will want one of course. $250 is a lot of money for a flashlight. But if you need the best, you don't want to mess around.

If you want to see the proto now, I have it here on my desk at this very moment. I am currently using rechargeable 123s in it so I play with it all the time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif Any Arc fan local to us can come in and take a look at it.

Peter

EmissionLine

Newly Enlightened
There are a few features I'd like, but the single biggest no-additional-code improvement (IMHO) would be to reorder the menu to put the most commonly used features first.

Current:
SOS
Lock
Force Primary
Find me
RFS
semi tact
tact

Suggested:
Lock
Force Primary
semi tact
tact
Find me
SOS (if we even still need this)
RFS

Like that. Though I'll bet you've rethought the locking too, so this is probably OBE.

Turd_Ferguson

Enlightened
I personally would like to see an adjustable find me. While some may use the find me to find the light, I want the find me so someone can find me. Generally I think the SOS is OK but just having a bright strobe is enough for helicopers to find you if they are looking for you. Plus I think the strobe will run longer than the SOS pattern.

Looks like a sweet light! I'm in for one. Can't wait 'til X-mas.

MY

Enlightened
Peter, thanks with providing us with some protos and photos. Although we know that the light is in the early stages of development, it is important that you show us the incremental stages of its formation. Folks now know that what you are talking about is not vaporware. The way that you used the CPF to develop your past lights is what has made you unique and is now being copied by others. Keep up the openess and the drive for perfection that has infected us all.

I also think that the most important aspect of the new light is size. I don't know why but it appears that all the hot new lights and mods are getting bigger with one exception, the firefly. That light has a very strong following and has basically covered the very small form factor market. I have always thought that EDC sizing was the key. I have both the 4+ second (which has worked flawless from day 1 with cy's tail mod 1.1) and the firefly. To tell you the truth, I carry the firefly more than the 4+ on a EDC because of its physical dimension. I would like to EDC the 4+ more but the buldge in my pocket causes my students to explore certain imponderables too much.

Obviously there is competition now that perhaps did not exist in the past relatively. ARC must come up with an angle that HDS does not already have. I think that size and a modular design are the keys. People will always complain about not having a certain feature (like the lens material debate); skirt around this issue and make key features (lens, tail, LED, software) user selectable. Wrap all this in a small form factor and I think that there will not be any real competition out there.

Another area that you might want to consider is providing a very simplified design like the "basic" model that HDS is talking about. While the ARC5 will have a high gee wiz factor, most folks only want the basics. Witness the fact that your ARC AAA is still a best seller. Form factor and utility will always sell lights. I know that you are going to continue with the LS series. Its next recarnation could be this KISS form and function.

Good luck with the ARC5 and LS series. Your posting comes at a crucial time in EDC light development. Keep up the steady stream of information as this new benchmark light develops.

Regards.

nightshade

Enlightened
Will the first 20 buyers get a free Arc logo shirt? I guess I'll start saving now,must have at least one.While nothing has happened to my heavily abused 4+ e.d.c., I'm hoping some attention will be given to the thin bezel ring area.Looking forward to this one.I've never had to use it, but I really like the life time warranty. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.