Name this flashlight! Black Hawk Down

fivebyfive

Enlightened
I was watching the movie Black Hawk Down and I saw this flashlight, but I can't name it. For the DVD, it's chapter 24 and starts at 2hrs. 2mins. and 37 seconds. The flashlight is shaped and sized like a soda can, but only shorter. The beam is broad and has a purplish tint leading me to think that it could be a LED flashlight. The scene is when they try to extricate the body of the pilot from the black hawk helicopter. At the same time, the rangers and delta force guys are loading up into the armored vehicles to return to the Pakistani stadium at night. If you guys need more info let me know. Thanks...

illmatic

Newly Enlightened
I just looked at the scene...pretty interesting light...It might look purplish because of the process of dyeing the film(to make it look all grainy) or the use of filters on the camera lens during shooting...

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want to go rent the DVD now just to see it cause I am so board, another one of those nights with nothing to do. If you watched it on a DVD-ROM, do a screen shot. Post or Email it to me(PM me). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cameron

indenial

Enlightened
Okay. I know we have some incredible internet researchers here who can find virtually anything or anyone. The dude to contact is the film's Property Master, Graeme Purdy. E-mail Mr. Purdy and I'm sure you'll get an answer.

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
PDVD_001.JPG

PDVD_002.JPG

PDVD_003.jpg

I don't know what they issue to the military, but from past topics on military issue lights...they aren't that great. Typical maglight stuff and what not.

This looks expensive. Like a bike light or something. Some of these movie companies will modify flashlights to meet there criterea. I guess they needed something really bright but not as big as a large Maglight or spotlight. A 10 watt bike light would be be plenty bright.

Also, check out the but end of the flashlight on picture 3. It has a wire, probably leading to a rechargeable battery pack.

indenial

Enlightened
Kinda reminds me of an electrified version of my Dorcy three stage 5 LED utility light (Craftsmen label). Well, not really!

dorcy5led(sears).jpg

indenial

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Ninja said:
Judging from the attached cord it looks to be a BlackHawk onboard spot??

[/ QUOTE ]

Are they on the copter in this scene? Is that a specific light carried on BlackHawks? Is it portable? It looks as if the power pack was carried on the soldier's back. Is that how they're powered?

fivebyfive

Enlightened
In this particular scene, they are inside the crashed helicopter. Ninja, can you help us out with the other questions posted by indenial? You mentioned about the light possibly being a black hawk specific light. Thanks. This light looks so cool. I gotta find out what this light is.

metalhed

Enlightened
From the rough look around the lens, and at the junction of the head and body, I wonder if it is a custom made 'movie prop'? Would also explain the power cord...high intensity possibly needed to cut through sound stage lighting.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
It looks like a light I saw more than 10 years ago that was described as a "Swiss Army" flashlight.

They were squat like that, and were powered with something along the lines of 6-8 AAs. Rubber-armored, with a metal switch lever and I think it had a belt clip.

...although the cable on the tailend in the one shot sort of blows away that theory.

sidespill

Enlightened
I think that's all hollywood stuff. I am an air force aircraft crew chief. You know what we have to check out from our tool crib? Maglights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif yeah the world's most advanced air force. Not just my base i've been to bases around the world and this is the standard. Because of real strict tool acountabily with aircraft maintenance no personal tools. I have different AA to D holders that I use with PR bulbs that i stuff in those mags. Funny thing though the shop where be buy our uniforms all stock surefires /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif.

pkkrusty

Newly Enlightened
As a blackhawk pilot myself, I can verify that the light in question is not one found on the aircraft. I wouldn't think it's an LED light anyway, since they were pretty careful about keeping the story accurate. 1993 wasn't a big year for white LEDs :)

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want to say HID because of the intensity and color of the beam in the movie...but all that can be done with white balance and lighting effects with camera...heck, we all know what it's like to take beamshots. It's almost worthless if there's no benchmark to compare.

It can't be HID because, liike sidespill said, i don't think the military will issue such lights, and i don't see the need for a power light such as an HID on a military aircraft. Most of the missions, i would assume, are done at night and an HID light in the cabin would be a giveaway in a pitch black sky. (my guess only)

LED? pkkrusty is right too...LEDs were hard to come by during that time. If the military supplies Maglights in 2004, i'm sure as heck that they won't supply LEDs on every Blackhawk cockpit or soldier.

My guess is it is a movie prop for the mere fact that it looks expensive. I don't want to say that our military is cheap, but i think the military would spend more money on things such as nightvision and advanced weaponry rather than high-powered flashlights.