Cross section of SF L1/L2

DELLED

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have a cross section of a SF L1/L2? Curious to see how everything is packed in how they work.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting. Why would they orient the PCB that way in the L1? It seems like they could have made it MUCH shorter...

Cool pics BTW! Thanks!

-john

Mister T

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
John N said:
It seems like they could have made it MUCH shorter...

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, they could. But my guess is that they didn't want the light to be that small. Just imagine how it would have looked with that big tailcap. On the other hand, the step-up circuit doesn't use a IC specifically for that task, but some inverters and discrete components which make the circuit board a lot bigger, but the whole thing cheaper, too.

Edit: Here is a comparision between a "BadBoy" from Dat2zip and the circuit in the Longbow Micra. Both accomplish the same function as the L1 circuit does (maybe even better, I've never seen a L1 runtime chart).

McGizmo

Flashaholic
The L2 has two circuit boards, not just one and the "coffin" is full. The volume *wasted* in the L1 is no longer the case in the L2.

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
John N said:

Interesting. Why would they orient the PCB that way in the L1? It seems like they could have made it MUCH shorter...

Cool pics BTW! Thanks!

-john

[/ QUOTE ]

I am guessing two reasons for the orientation of the PCB in the L1.

1: Better cooling for the PCB. Larger surface area and mass, of the body, is available for disapating heat.

2: Planning ahead for the L2. I believe the L2 has two PCB's, oriented in the same fashion as the L1, sandwiched, one above the other. Again, this allows for better cooling of the PCB's.

oldgrandpajack

Photonian

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Mister T said:
Something like this?

A2
L1

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahhh, another mystery solved. No wonder the L1 is twice as long as it should be.

Mister T

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
oldgrandpajack said:
1: Better cooling for the PCB. Larger surface area and mass, of the body, is available for disapating heat.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry, but im 100% sure this is and was not the reason. Firstly, one doesn't cool a pcb, but its components. None of these has a thermal bond to the body of the flashlight. Secondly, we are talking about a 1W Luxeon @ ~350mA here, driven by a CR123. In this case heat shouldn't be a problem for a properly designed circuit.

Size15's

Flashaholic
What Don said.

Also like to add that I'm the one holding those SureFires. They are functional and perhaps the 4th most amazing thing I've ever fondled whilst in one of PK's hotel rooms.

Al

Mister T, thanks for some GREAT photos! I have wondered myself what the "floor plan" of the L1 looks like.

McGizmo, now we know once and for all the wall thickness at the center of the light. Thicker than I thought!

Really informative thread, as far as I'm concerned. Thanks to all for the education!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:
...and perhaps the 4th most amazing thing I've ever fondled whilst in one of PK's hotel rooms.

[/ QUOTE ]

Err.....maybe we don't want to know about that.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

daveidmx

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Mister T said:
Something like this?

[/ QUOTE ]
right, so i gotta ask, with all respect...

why the _hell_ do you have those pictures just lying around?

i started laughing out loud when someone just "happened" to have pictures of those two flashlights cut beautifully down the middle...