Cabela's LED light

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cabela\'s LED light

Would a couple of you serious flashlight guys check out the new Cabelas XPG Led lights? They sound pretty good, 5w/115 lumen dual level run by 123's. I'm wondering if they are available elsewhere and just rebranded by Cablela's.

I've tried to post the page link but had no success. Just go to cabelas.com and search "flashlights". Thanks.

McShawn

Enlightened
Re: Cabela\'s LED light

I just ordered one and we will see how it looks, works. Sounds really interesting, I wonder how they dim the led, resistor? Can't wait.

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
McShawn said:
I just ordered one and we will see how it looks, works. Sounds really interesting, I wonder how they dim the led, resistor? Can't wait.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please let us know how you like it !

lhivernant

Newly Enlightened

I stopped by a Cabela's in Owatonna, MN. They don't have any yet. That 5w was sounding very nice to me. Guess I'll need to wait for McShawn's review before I had back over.

Joel

McShawn

Enlightened

Still hasn't shipped yet, hopefully Monday it will go out. I always get impatient waiting for a new light.

McShawn

Enlightened

I received the light today, not bad.
The manufacture link is http://www.foundton.com/index.php
I will work on getting some pictures tomorrow, camera is in the other car, in the shop. I like the dimable function, the beam is different, it is square. Do not know if it is regulated, will check. More later.

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast

McShawn:
Thanks for the link.
I wonder if Foundton is actually the manufacturer, or really more of a "marketing middleman" type of operation.

McShawn

Enlightened

Yes, I have had the light for awhile, sorry, had no time. Anyway the light is not bad, but it uses an optic that puts out a square beam pattern. You can pull it all the way apart and see the board that regulates the dimming function. Overall a decent light but my surefire KL4 is brighter. Will post some pictures this weekend hopefully.

McShawn

Enlightened

Well no luck posting pict for awhile, My 3 year old daughter found the camera, where mommy had left it, and decided to clean it in the sink, like she does her dollies, she heard mommy say something about finger prints on the screen. So I am letting it dry out and see what happens. Maybe time to invest in a new one.
The light is not bad bad for the price, underdriven. Direct drive, the modular aspect is nice, you can pull it completely apart. I don't know why the beam is square, the optic is a half marble looking thing, rounded on top and square on the bottom. I think this will be something I will try to mod, my first experiment with trying to mod a led. Sorry for no pictures. Ask any question you want and will try to answer.

JML

Enlightened

Here's the picture and the website info. This is from here.

Cabela's XPG LED Flashlights Item: QR-516474
Price: $49.99 - $89.99
Like all products that earn the Cabela's XPG name, these flashlights deliver performance far above the ordinary. Their powerful American-made Luxeon™ LED chips produce more light for longer periods of time than standard LEDs. An innovative new lens throws crisp even beams of light. The 1-watt model puts out a full 30 lumens and the 5-watt model produces a powerful 115 lumens, both with a three-hour run time. A high/low selector switch on both lets you reduce the light output by 50% to double the run time to six hours. A rugged lightweight machined-aluminum housing protects the circuitry and makes them easy to carry. 123 lithium batteries included.
Available: 1-watt, 5-watt.
i516474sq01.jpg

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast

Bet you a dollar its a nuwai private lable job. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

NikolaTesla /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

An Arc lamp is the Spark that takes away the Dark--HID Forever!

My Lights

ebyron

Newly Enlightened

Howdy all
i have been lurking here for quite some time and finally worked up the nerve to post.

i just got back from cabela's with the new XPG 5wattLED 3-123 flashlight. i am not happy with it and will be returning it the first chance i get (a big pain because cabelas is nowhere near me). for the high price there was absolutely no WOW factor. This is my first 5W led light and i was hoping for more. My nuwai 3w BLOWS IT AWAY in throw, brightness, and beam quality. I have no way to test it but there is NOT A CHANCE it is 115 lumens, if it is i am missing the point of what a lumen is. The square look the optics give the beam is a bit annoying too, and the holster is pretty flimsy.

they had Streamlight TL-3 LED's too, perhaps i should have gotten that? opinions?

Did I leave anything out of my first review?
let me know
eliot