I like Mag Lights again thanks to Mr. Bulk.....

marcspar

Enlightened
Well, at least it was a Mag Light at some point in the past. Now it is a direct drive 3 d cell with a 3W luxeon and a really cool lens that smooths out the beam.

With all my small lights like the VIP, Blackbird and, soon to come, Firefly, it is nice to have a big stick that will fill a room with nice white light and keep running for a few days if needed!

I don't know how he did it in between the VIP and the LION (I am number 59 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif), but Charlie is incredible.....

Thank you,

Marc /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
No, Thank YOU, Marc. It was a pleasure to build after fiddling with all them eentsy-weentsy tiny VIP internals.

Pat, from the outside the pics would simply show a regular lookin' Maglite.

marcspar

Enlightened
It might 'look' the same on the outside......

But, the beam's hotspot is brighter then most of my 2x123 3w's and there is even more side spill.

The best part is that 3 inexpensive d cells will keep her running for days of constant use or months of 'normal' people's needs!

Just when I was thinking smaller is better! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here you go, Naromtap.

Below: Uh, let's see...yeah, that's the VIP on the left and the Mr. Bulk DD3DIII on the right.
standard.jpg

Below: A beamshot comparison between a Pelican M6 Incandescent (left) and the DD3DIII (right). I cranked the camera's exposure down as far as it would go. So this shot only shows relative output, but you can see both beams' characteristics.
standard.jpg

Glad you got one of these, Marc. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Roy did a runtime on mine, it's under Mr. Bulk DD3DIII on his runtime sticky on the Reviews Forum.

It is an amazing light. Naromtap, you got to get one, you'll love it.

I told Charlie how I used mine on a feral cattle hunt in Belize a couple of weeks ago. The taxidermist who handled the trophy preps and shipping to the States found it so fetching he managed to get me to part with it.

I used it to find one of the bulls at night. It is very reassuring to know that you have over 7 hours running it down to 50%. It seems to bottom at 500 Lux and run there for 40+ hours. This is the light for disaster preparation.

I've asked Charlie to build me another when he gets an opportunity. With Hotbeam's Hotlips and, now, Yaesumofo's Self-Centering Mofo, this has got to be one of the easier mods that drastically alters the performance of the light. Alas, even this mod is beyond the ability of us apes.

Oh, the output is very white and very bright. The acrylite lens makes the spot creamy smooth with an inconsequential nibble at output.

Britt

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i got a secret craveing for a space needle 2 i sold my ragmag new guy loves it but i miss it

Kier

Newly Enlightened
Re: I like Mag Lights again thanks to Mr. Bulk....

So how much would one of these run me? I've been looking for a big honking light to lug around.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

The Mag 2C host is one of the best bodies to use for a mod. I love my SN-II and the various Lux-III mods that I have.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

Would a 2C fit 3 sub-c's? That would make an interesting luxIII host!

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

How long are those sub-C's?

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast

Off to Dat2sips site to buy some small wire and a good luxeon. I have a D sized Hotlips and a red 3 D m@glite ready to go. Hmmm, I think I have a sputtered reflector here someplace too.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sub C is about 44mm long and 3 of them will fit in 2C M*g with some machining on tail cap and of course removed spring.

paulr

Flashaholic

With three rechargeable sub-C's DD you're at 3.6 volts which isn't so impressive. Maybe four 1/2C's would fit in there.

Personally, with no disrespect intended to Mr. Bulk's excellent mod work, I don't see the Mags as such great host lights any more. If I wanted a C or D powered Lux3 light, I'd go for an EL Blaster Jr. which runs on two D's but is not really bigger than a Mag 2C because of the Mag's long section where the switch is.

marcspar

Enlightened

I like the guts and beams of the EL lights (my friend just got his phaser which is a torch), but not the bodies, which are made in China.

I am waiting on Wayne's angelux 2 x 3w mod which is 100% made in the USA. (Our trade deficit is bad enough without my helping.)

For me, the mags are the opposite of the EL, great bodies and crappy innards - just waiting for MR. BULK ........

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

true, but many people have DD off of 3 NiMH with plenty of good results... I like mags because you can build so many different things into them. I'm going to have a reflector mod, and one with a tri-lens. The C cell mags are nice because they are so slim and fit in your pocket nicely.

impact_blue

Newly Enlightened

Hi All,
Agreed Completley! Thanks must go to Charlie for this awesome light!! I got my BulkWare™ Mag-Esque 3D-LuxIII yesterday and am completly gob-smack impressed!

A blindingly bright, ultimate throw light that scares little old ladies, and freaks out those kids mucking around three parsecs away - this is the light to have!

Whilst this is in essence a simple light, its immence brightness, coupled with the inexpensive D form factor is the greatest part of the combination. Along with the fact that this is a 3D mag light in both size and heft, you can use it for all the same purposes as the original - if you follow my drift...

I love this light - whether its slicing through the night "laser" styles or focused larger to produce a snow white wide beam for overall coverage - this is the "Bee Knee's" of bigger lights.

No you can't stick it in your front pocket (easily), and no it doesn't fit in your change pocket (Arc LS/PIN Style) - but if you want to throw unheard of amounts of white light, a long way - this is the One.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

My new "using" light - off duty it is beside the bed where it is looks after my "flash and smash duties" if required! Up until last night this was my SF-6P and an MD Labs 'stick'.

Thanks again Charlie... you rule! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Cheers,
Nathan.

Kier

Newly Enlightened

That sounds awesome. I want one but I don't want to bug Mr. Bulk incase I don't have the funds for one. Wanna ballpark me a figure. Under 100? Under 200? Underpriced? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif