WA01185 in a plastic reflector will it work?

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Gang,

I found a little 4D lantern with a nice 3 1/2" plastic reflector that I want to Hot Wire beyond simple over drive. I know some of you have tried the WA01185 in Mag mods just how long can you run the light with the plastic reflector with out damage?

The reflector in the lantern is made of a clear hard plastic with a smooth finish and is much thicker and not bendable like the stock Mag reflector. Sorry I have no idea what kind of plastic it is so a SWAG or any other info is greatly appreciated.

Later
Sway

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Let's see, about a thousand + lumens, 11 1/2 volts, or so, 40 watts, or so, and a fairly large reflector surface area. I would guess that it is possible. I believe there are some spotlights out there that run 55 watt bulbs with plastic reflectors, maybe even 100 watts.

Bill

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried this with a 3D mag, about 3 minutes until the first deformation around the bulb, 5 minutes until there was deformation at mid reflector. I stopped there because I wanted to use the reflector as a skeleton to hold a Magcharger reflector in the same light.

Bill

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK thanks a bunch guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif this is what I needed to know, I may back away from the WA01185 and go with the WA01160 will this be a better choice over something like a standard 6D cell Halogen lamp with just a little over drive?

Later
Sway

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 1160 is actually a 5 volt lamp, already 20% overdriven at 6 volts. I doubt it will tolerate a 9 volt or 80% overdrive. And the 1160 is prett hot also, it will do a number on a plastic reflector.

All of the so called "Super Lamps" from WA and Carley will potentially melt a plastic reflector.

If you are going to try an overdrive with a plastic reflector, consider using C cells in a D body and overdriving by 1-2 cells, and just use stock lamps. The Krypton bulbs tolerate more overdrive than the Xenon bulbs, but also are not quite as bright to start.

The stock bulbs, even overdriven, should not cause problems.

Bill

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
What does "SWAG" mean?

Anyway,

What is driving your 1185?

The 1185 is a 9.6V nominal 40 hour lamp, which equates to 8 1.2V cells. You can overdrive it by using 10 cells, but if they are low internal resistance, high current cells (such as used by the RC community) you will have a chance of instaflashing the lamp when the battery pack is hot off the charger. If they are cells with less muscle and more capacity (such as consumer AA cells) you are safe with 9 and could even go to 10, but at that point you will be in the instaflash range again.

IN ANY CASE, the 1185 on 8, 9 or 10 cells is going to melt your plastic reflector and any plastic lens in short order. A few to several minutes. You couldn't even hold your hand in front of the beam for longer than 20 or so seconds. We're talking around 30 watts, here!

The 1160 driven at the usual (for CPF) 6.0 volt level (5 NiMH or NiCd cells) will not be much different. The voltage is lower, but it's drawing a lot of current (3+ amps) and the wattage is still high, even though it is lower than the 1185. Around 20 watts.

You will melt your reflector unless you're going to flash your flash light.

theepdinker

Enlightened
Scientific
Wild
A /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif
Guess

Theepdinker

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guess I have been a little vague here trying to find a good hot wire for a plastic reflector.

I'm using 2300mH AA's in holders options are 4 6 & 8 cells holders, I can fit 2 of each in the light for series or parallel configurations or 1 10 cell holder. Right now I'm running 1 8 cell holder with a 6 cell Halogen lamp which really wakes the light up 278 foot candle @ 1 meter vs 42 FC for the stock 4D cells and lamp.

Just looking for something brighter that I can run off the AA's and keep things together. Don't guess I could find a potted 85 or 60 right now anyway.

Thanks for the input /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Later
Sway

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Sway would be running his bulbs in a 3 1/2 in. reflectored lantern. Wouldn't that reduce temperature within the head. He is not running bulbs in a relatively small maglite head where head is much contained and allowed to build up fairly fast. I think it is worth a try with close monitoring.

Bill

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bill,

That is my line of thinking it has much more surface area than the Mag but I haven't had the chance to use any of the super bulbs so I don't know how much heat they give off.

Well the host is very cheep and there is only one sure way to find out and thats where I'm at my best is blowing things up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

I have a 12V 50W Bi-Pin and a spare socket guess I will try and melt one down later tonight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

Again thanks guys.

Later
Sway

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bullzeyebill,

My guess is that it won't make much difference. I did consider this in my time to melt down figures which I quoted above, but I only added a couple minutes. The 1185 driven at spec or harder is a very hot lamp.

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well maybe something not as rash as 50W to start with I found a 20W Bi-Pin Halogen to try first. The socket has been epoxied into the reflector just waiting for it to set up now.

Later
Sway

While giving the 20W Halogen an alcohol bath one of the pins broke off right at the capsule my luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif Ill Be Back

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Epoxy?

I hope it isn't toxic when it burns! A 20W halogen is going to get HOT. Let me know how it works out. What epoxy are you using? JB Weld or something?

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well Houston We Have Melt Down!

js I just used the epoxy that I had on hand nothing special but I will use something different the next time now that you have brought that to my attention, thanks!

I picked up another 12V 20W GE Halogen at the home store today OUCH! almost 6 bucks way more than the cost of the host. I tried a quick 5 minute run before going to work and it ran fine, after I got home my 10 min run turned into 20 min's due to a phone call from work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif

I was watching the light but couldn't see the reflector when I turned it off and looked in with my ARC for inspection the top part of the reflector had sever damage and the lens has just a little wave in it.

I had attached the most scientific temperature device I have a meat thermometer across the lens and it read 158 Deg F, medium for ham and beef, well done for lens and over cooked for reflectors.

I tried to get the product page from GE to link for this lamp but it wouldn't work, it's a 12V 20W Halogen Bi-Pin 2000 hour 350 lumens lamp that goes in things like those articulating hand burner desk lamps are the Super Bulbs hotter than this?

I powered my test mule with a 8Ah 12V jump starter which is over kill compared the 6 to 10 NiMH AA's I will be using in the light.

On a side note the epoxy held up just fine didn't smoke or get soft but I will look for some high temp the next time will Artic Silver work I have some of that?

DSC00450.JPG

Later
Sway

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
Yep!
I melted a mag reflector and lens with a WA01185 in less than 3 minutes using 9 1/2 D Cells (4Ah AeroNiMh). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

That bulb is <font color="red">HOT</font>!!!

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Someone posted that 10W on a Mag reflector was a good rule of thumb for heat limit. Many agreed.

In consideration of voltage drop, (thanks for the formula, soloco) WA01185 on 5X123 becomes 36 watts. I melted the reflector in less than three minutes also. The cammed tube had begun to collapse into the parabolic portion of the reflector. I was quite pleased by this.

I think you'll be awarded style points for melting a reflector as shown in you pic. The ghost emanating from the right side is rather disturbing.

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
Icebreak /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Now that you mentioned it I guess my Phantom Of The Opera poster got caught in the pic by coincidence but it is rather fitting.

The host is a discontinued double stack 4D Dorcy lantern that I picked up at a Dollar store for 5 bucks with 6D cells and a 2D light but after trying the lantern out I found it has better throw than any of my simple one bulb down vs battery stack Mag's with out having to adjust the bulb and I can fit any number of NiMH AA's in it using holders for a 10 minute Mag busting mod /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I need to find something between the 6 cell lamp and the WA Carley Super Bulbs and this will make a mean little light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

Stock 4D left, 8AA NiMH 6 cell LE right.
DSC00460.JPG

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since you can run any number of cells, I wonder if 6 NiMHs would work with a Radio Shack KPR118.

Out of sheer luck I returned success using high resistance holders in this way:

KPR118: (7.2v 700mA) Mag 3D - 9 slightly used AAs @ 1.4v in 3 unmodified E.L. 3toD canisters for 12.6v - est. resistance 3X 1.25 Ohm. Beam =>2X as bright and hot spot is 2X as large as the original configuration.

Similarly, Alan L returned success in this config:

CA717: Mag3D with 9 NiMH AAs in unmodified 3-to-D adapters.

Just thinking maybe your low resistance holders @ 9V might run the KPR118 or CA717 just about right. The RS lamp is cheap to buy.