Does Memory Media Change Weight when full?

Atomic6

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just curious in a foolishly dumb way-If a ram chip/cube/card is empty, does it weigh more when it is filled-up with all those ones and zeros? Hmmmm... anyone know?

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, It's done with magnets that change the polarity if the surface substrate from neg. to pos. and back to create the 1's or 0's. There isn't anything actually added to the media. (with hard drive types, that is)

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Unlike a battery, I kinda doubt it. (Running for cover from the stink this one's gonna raise. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

Larry

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
And in the case of purely electronic storage, it's a matter of relocating electrons from one spot to another, creating a charge. All of the electrons were there to start with; they just played musical chairs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Jack_Crow

Enlightened
Guys,
Let's have some fun with this.
In the name of the anode, and of the cathode, and the holy smoke. (we all know when the holy smoke escapes, the unit is dead)

It's one of my favorite tech jokes for the simple minded.

A charged battery always weighs more than a run down one. Simply because it's full of electrons.
Same for memmory wafers. If they were full, that's good for a few tenths of a gram of bit weight.

What about digital toxic waste? Each time our computer 'crashes' we get a flood of disconected bits. Land fills can't take them all. Most of them lie dormant in the corners of the macheines, and when we move the cpu case on our desk, the bits slide out openings in the back and get into the rug.

All those loose ones and zeros present a safety hazzard.

We can break down the 'ones' chemically, but don't ever try to divide by zero. Ask Dr. Science what happens when you do that.

Hope all is well
Jack Crow with Poor attitude
Iraq

Atomic6

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jack-You are trying to trick me arn't you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Next you'll have me going to a True Value to get a spool of "Flight Line".... or to a nursery to get a sack of sleep dirt /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

So delving in a little deeper-say down to an atomic scale-are there more constituants in a posative charge than a negative charge? You know-all those little orbiting particles and stuff? If there is, then there could be a measurable weight difference? I know there may be no difference on a postal scale. Pretty sure anyway...

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
?DIVIDE BY ZERO ERROR IN 65535
READY.

cursor.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually magnetic media will weight somewhat more when it has something recorded on it. In aligning the domains you have expended energy aligning the domains, which you can get back out if you cause them to flip. (That is how MRI systems work, and how magnetic memories work). It takes energy to create and maintain order. The lowest energy state tends to be the most disorganized one.

However when you look at E=MC^2, you realize that the increase in weight as a result of the higher energy states created means the increase in mass is going to be very tough to measure. Converting the mass of a dime to energy will give you about 20,000 tons of TNT going off....

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you sure that magnetic media will weigh more when recorded?

Seems to me that this is more along the lines of entropy (Second Law of Thermodynamics). You are reordering magnetic domains (or moving electrons in solid state memory) by expending energy, not creating (or destroying) new atoms or electrons. Kind of like the egg in the shell vs a scrambled egg. No matter was created or destroyed in the process--but entropy was increased. The chicken did not use E=MC^2 to create the egg.

E=MC^2 represents the conversion of matter to energy (and back again). Off hand, the only day to day events that affect our lives that are matter/energy conversions would be along the lines of fission (nuclear reactors), fusion (the sun), and radioactive decay (tritium glow tubes). The rest are all alterations of physical states of atoms/molecules, electron orbits, and changes in entropy.

-Bill

idleprocess

Flashaholic
There's no change in mass associated with storing data on magnetic/digital media.

Read-only optical media... might have some negligible change in mass due to the process of "burning" pits into the media, but there doesn't seem to be anywhere for the vaporized material to escape to.

Byte

Newly Enlightened
Wait a moment - this person might be onto something. My compter desk is sagging a little, which it never did before I got that new 120GB HD.

No wonder the servers at work are mounted on those big equipment equipment racks - after being loaded down with so much data, they couldn't be held up by wood - the data would weigh too much!

-----------------------------------
Note - the above message is full of B.S. and sarcasm, some of which may not be easily detected by the average layman. If you are easily offended by a joke, I offer my most sincere apologies in advance.
-----------------------------------

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
The_LED_Museum said:
?DIVIDE BY ZERO ERROR IN 65535
READY.

cursor.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

BACKUPS?! WE DON'T NEED NO STINKING BAC^7nQzz{{6&&!...

NO CARRIER
cursor.gif

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
The first electric meters changed their weight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Electrolysis cell transfered metal from one side to the other dependent on how much current you were using and they weighed the electrodes once a month /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

As far as everything else. It's true! Weigh a DVD vs a CD. the DVD is heavier! And also true on CDR's weigh it before and after burning!

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Actually, I was postulating that a burned optical disc could theoretically get lighter after burning due to small-scale vaporization of the media... if the data layer weren't encapsulated in plastic.

Not that you could measure the theoretical difference in mass on even a 4-place analytical balance in the typical chemistry lab.

Jack_Crow

Enlightened
A6

Lots of strange things in this world.

The divide by zero stuff I stole from Ask Dr Science. He should be an adviser to this bunch. A lot like Mr Wizzard on LSD. Look him up on the internet. I use some of his recorded events on the radio station.

While your out shoping for the unlikely , pick up some of the following items.

Left handed metric screwdrivers.

steering wheel for a locomotive

Bucket -o- Torque

Beoing Bumpers

paper strecher

wire strecher

Phramis pins

Antenna Wax (good for at lest a 3db improvment)

Electron Helper

Neuteral Desteney Filters

Amp Hour Pliers (to squeez the last little bit from old cells)

Ground Plane

Plane Ground

RF Ground

Floating Ground

Ground Loop

An Unbalanced UPS (sounds like me!)
Star Mangled Spanner (A tool with a gravity problem)

A bullet proof vest in Postal Gray.

Ever heard of a Stationary Store having a moving sale?

The mind is a dangerous thing to open. Perhaps I will take mine out and let it oxydize.

Later dudes
Jack Crow in Iraq, with way too much time on my hands. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dedhorse.gif