best 3w luxeon star

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends on what qualities you are looking for? Are you talking about a whole light or the led only?

cgpeanut

Enlightened
As one Flashaholic once said: "It's all about the bin baby /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif" (I think it was klaus)

Look for luxeons3's with bins TWAK, SWAK, TXOK and the ever elusive TWOJ's Personally I like the TWAK beacause it has that blusih white color and is readily available bought a few from the sammich shoppe a few months back. But if you can get the TWOJ now that has the whitest/low Vf luxeon I've ever seen.

cy

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
if you can get the TWOJ now that has the whitest/low Vf luxeon I've ever seen.

[/ QUOTE ]Just got some TWOH 3watt in. vf should be lower than TWOJ. remains to be see what the actual performance difference will be. Should be able to pull aprox. 1.1 amps out of a MM+ board.

Any other opinions on this?

cy

Flashaholic
Cheers to Eo2oo for finding them. He had 50 available and needless to say they went quick.

Before TWOH came up, I though the lowest vf possible for a 3watt is TWOJ. The only other lux with same low vf is R2H's, which I fortunate to have two sammies with.

Sure would like to do a side by side comparison. I have not decided how to use mine yet. They are precious...

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO the "J" LuxIIIs are similar to "H" 1Watts as the voltage is measured at 700ma instead of 350ma, the "H" LuxIIIs are really rare and the TWOH find was "da bomb"

Klaus

Halibut

Enlightened
I put a TW0H in my VIP--it looks a bit greenish on low, but medium and high look awesome. Charlie must use YA, YO, WO and WA bins in those VIPs because there isn't even a hint of yellow/green in any of the units I have seen, even on low. I'd like to send my TWOH'ed Roy for a runtime test now.

DT

Reno

Enlightened
Hey guys, does the presence of lower vf LuxIII's mean that a higher vf, brighter one is on the way?? Like maybe a UYOL or VYOL is now possible?

Sorry, not the most technically astute kid on the block /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

cy

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Klaus said:
IMO the "J" LuxIIIs are similar to "H" 1Watts as the voltage is measured at 700ma instead of 350ma, the "H" LuxIIIs are really rare and the TWOH find was "da bomb" Klaus

[/ QUOTE ]
Since the 3watt is measured at 700 millimamp VS the 350 for one watt. Does this mean the H 3watt is equal to 1watt in G vf? I've never seen one of those.

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most say that lux 3's only show their true worth above 700ma so you may not see a diffrence if the current is not tweaked along with the led change. The tint may be better due to the WO bin but the brightness may just be the same.

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
markdi,
i had a R3J 1watt put into my arc LS1 at stock current and a fraen and it is definitely brighter than before, the LSH-S has problably an M or N bin and your TWOH has more lumen capacity at the same current, plus you will get longer runtime due to lower Vf. if you use your LSH-S alot then i would recommend swapping out the existing LED for the TWOH, and like Billson said, you could also raise the current for more brightness but runtime will decrease.

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast
The tints are not very pronounced when the lux is powered at 700ma or above. Even then, you can only notice it if you compare it side by side with another light.

I bought a couple of TV1J's from the shoppe a couple of weeks ago and they were very nice but is powered at 1A so I don't know how it'll behave when the battery runs down.