More trivial London stuff

Jack_Crow

Enlightened
Hi all,
Just bumping around down town London. Been getting some digs in.

London is known for good suits and I have been in the market for one for a good long while. Found a place that had something close to my size. Jacket, slacks, shoes, shirt, and a few ties. Need some new belts but that should not be hard to find.

You know the expression "I wouldn't be caught dead in it". Well this new one is rather nice. Hopefully I will use it in vertical mode vs. dirt nap mode.

One way they will say I look good in it, the other will say "don't he look natural". It's a complement one way or another. Ill take it.

Messed with the sales dudes mind. I told him that I carry firearms back home and to leave room for a holster. He asked why I would do such a thing, and I told him I have no time in my life to be a victim. It's fun when brutal honesty stomps stupid idealism.

Either I will get many years of service out of it, or be buried in it.

Another cool feature of England there is a VAT (Value Added Tax). On the way out of the country I can mail a form and get 15% of my purchase price back as a tax rebate. So the price is not all that unreasonable.

Some of the electronics stores have been interesting. Lots of consumer goods and a very few with what I call a clue. Found one repair dealer who talked to me and got a name for a parts dealer here in London. I have a few things that need fixing back in Iraq and getting parts there is tough. This way I can fix some of the Army's items and get them back on the air.

Considering the number of pirate radio transmitter companies that market their goods here, I have yet to find a kit or built unit. Perhaps it's like 'export' cb radios back home.

Did pick up a 'non contact laser thermometer' here for about 30# (Pound I don't know where the key is for the fancy L). We have had some arguments as to what various temps are. I hope this will put an end to some of them. Like just how hot dose a tank get left in the Iraqi sun?

The wife gets here in a few days and I can pretend I'm married again. That's a happy thing.

All for now, hope your day is cool.
A much more relaxed

Jack Crow in London.

Not to be confused with the Werewolves of London.

glenthemole

Newly Enlightened
Hope your enjoying the werid weather we're having, raining in the mornings and then sunny in the evening, it's supposed to be summer!

Size15's

Flashaholic
It is summer!
I was in London *(Hyde Park) for the Simon and Garfunkel concert which was fantastic - it didn't rain either!

The pound sign "£" is [poop] + [3] which is next to the "$" which is [shift] + [4] [this is on English keyboards only I believe]

Our VAT is 17.5% on most things. Do you have to declare the cost of goods you bring into the USA and pay duty/tax on them when you get home?

Have a great time in London!

Al

glenthemole

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:

The pound sign "£" is [poop] + [3] ]

[/ QUOTE ]
woops, not sure you meany that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
lol i rather be in iraq.kidding but london isnt a place id viset.for reasons i rather not go into but have fun jack