ZLT+ Construction Hints

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

**DONOTDELETE**

These hints, once refined, will eventually make their way to the various web pages regarding construction of the Zetex ZLT+ Luxeon Star driver, which include:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI> www.5thcolumn.org/zetex/project
<LI> www.elektrolumens.com
[/list]

Let me know if this list needs to be changed or other pages added.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ElektroLumens:
From what I have seen so far, I am still not real clear on a few component placements, like the inductor and the wire.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I soldered both ends of the Rsense strand right near the edge of the board, so that the loop could be folded around to the nonconductive back of the board.

Then I covered the loop with a piece of paper to prevent it from coming in contact with the back of the LS, which has a conductive surface.

I suppose I could have used scotch tape or electrical tape as well, but I was concerned that they might melt or deteriorate under the high heat conditions right next to the heat sink. From Ray Bradbury's book Fahrenheit 451, I knew that paper burns at 451°F, and I doubted the LS would get that hot.

The inductor was aligned parallel to the capacitor and placed directly over the three Zetex components in order to minimize total board height.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Mercator added some detailed step-by-step instructions regarding the ZLT+ MiniMag mod.

Go to http://www.5thcolumn.org/zetex/project, scroll down a bit, and you will see the new link entitled "Detailed instructions..."

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

The collimator plus the module has a total height of 23.5mm.

The bead core has a diameter of 5mm---how does that compare to the height of your SMD inductor?

There isn't much room to spare. That's why the inductor had to be placed on top of the Zetex components (not the capacitor). Even then, the collimator extends a little bit beyond the end of the head, but not so much that the head's end cap can't be partially screwed on.

My MiniMag is an old one. The head's end cap is 10mm in height and says "MINI-MAGLITE MFG BY MAG INSTRUMENT / ONTARIO CA - USA".

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was a BEAR to get it to fit but I finally did! You really don't want to know how it did it though.
tongue.gif
wink.gif

I also got better results using the "new" collimator (the one Future & Peter are selling). Beam quality was much inproved.

I rigged my tailcap to work as a switch but would rather have a tailcap switch. Anyone know were I can get one for this 2AA mini-mag?

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply.

My SMT inductor is lower than the 150uF capacitor so I believe I have a total overall lower height than if I used the Ferrite bead. That's why I wanted to try it even tho the eff is low. I wanted to go thru the exercise to see what trouble I would run into.

I've got the SMT inductor opposite to the SMT capacitor. The two together are about equal height.

I am using my Luxeon /O. Is this collimator heigher than others? If there are different ones and since this appears to be a tight fit, it might help first timers to be specific on dimension, height and which collimator was used. Also, my Mini Mag might have different dimensions than yours and though you got yours to work, maybe the one I have doesn't.

Has anyone modified a current Mini Mag and had success.

Also, I'm not clear, but I believe there would be no on/off function anymore. It might be good to note this on the web page that after modifications, there the screw on/off feature no longer works to make it clear.

Additionally, from reading the web site, I cannot determine if you after assembly had the thing completely screwed together tight or it's being held together by a few threads.

Someone might try to wrench it all the way down and crush something. You never know. I've seen some burly people that don't know when to stop.

Sean: Sounds like a tricky thing to do. If it was a bear, I think we would all like to know what trouble you had and what you did to overcome it. Maybe it will help Duggg and them to update the web making it more clear how to make it easier.

I was up till 3am last night working on. I finally went to sleep figuring, if I work on anymore I'm sure I'd had smoked it or done something I'd regret. I could barely keep my eyes open!
grin.gif

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did smoke the first one!
shocked.gif

I removed the top part of the on/off pressure switch to make more room. Without doing this I was unhappy with the "fit".
I think I would rather put this in a Brinkmann Legend but I can't find any locally.

All collimators are the same size, they just have a different "focus".

If anyone out there needs a board (from the ones auctioned off) I have an extra one and I don't think I'm gonig to use it. Email me if you want it.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Dat2zip, I'm sorry you're having so much trouble making it fit, especially since the bead core makes my circuit 3mm taller than yours.
confused.gif

I wasn't aware 2AA MiniMag came in various sizes. My MiniMag's head is 38mm in length. With the module and collimator in place and the end cap screwed on about half way, the length of the head assembly is 44mm. The collimator is 11.2mm in height. Please provide your measurements.

I mentioned in various threads that it isn't completely screwed down and thus probably isn't waterproof, and trying to twist it off would definitely do some damage. I also mentioned that there was no on-off switch, and that you could buy one or make your own by drilling out the tail cap.

However, you are right, these facts didn't make it to the web page, and they will be added.

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remember I offered to make some for other CPF. I am still unclear whether you and others rejected my offer. I have not started a new thread since I have not officially heard from people.

My measurements are:
My collimator is 17mm high,
My Luxeon and ZLT+ board is ~18.7mm high.
My flashlight top assembly with lens cap attached is ~65mm tall. The MiniMag flashlight top Lens cap screw is 15.3mm tall.

If you are refering to the ZLT + Luxeon + collimator as minimag head. Mine is a tad smaller at ~36mm. I have a steel ruler and am eyeballing these measurements.

Looks like your collimator is smaller than mine. I wasn't aware there were more than one. Mine came with the /O option. I got three from Peter back in Nov? last year.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. Your offer was certainly not rejected. However, I
thought it was more or less agreed that we are in a sort of beta testing period right now, as others wait to hear from the people who bought the boards at auction.

Regarding the LS/O collimator, all the ones I have received have had the same 11mm height. I presume we're both referring to just the transparent acrylic portion. If yours is 17mm in height, then that's probably the #1 reason why it isn't fitting! It's also much larger than the LS/O spec sheet says it should be.

When I built my mod and announced it, I certainly didn't expect there to be different 2AA MiniMags. To make sure we are on the same page, here is a diagram of a 2AA MiniMag head assembly and below it are the measurements of mine.

aaha.gif
Code:

D

**DONOTDELETE**

blush.gif
WHOA! STOP THE PRESSES!
blush.gif

You said your end cap says MINI MAGLIGHT?

Mine says MAGLITE and that is the official trademark, www.maglite.com

Perhaps you may have an imitation MagLite?
rolleyes.gif

Can you show a picture of it?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sean:
I did smoke the first one!
shocked.gif

What happened?

I removed the top part of the on/off pressure switch to make more room. Without doing this I was unhappy with the "fit".

Yes, I had to do that as well.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got mine in florida a few years ago when the hurricane ripped thru and missed us.
grin.gif

I core dumped the pictures in my camera on my web site. They will be here temporarily for you to look at. I believe mine is the genuine article and it looks like yours except it's red. It does say Mag Instruments, California USA.

I think the only difference is the collimator. That might make all the difference. Here's the web page.
WayneY Mini Mag pictures.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Oh. Your end cap does say MagLITE after all.

So I agree, you do have a genuine MiniMag. Nice color too
smile.gif

But, looking at the picture and the scale of the computer keyboard, are you certain the end cap isn't 10mm in height? And the collimator isn't 11mm? 10mm is the height of a stack of six quarters.

And there are 25.4 millimeters per inch. The collimator appears to be less than a half inch (12.7mm) in height in all the ruler pix.

One more thing---to plug the module in, the head must be screwed entirely onto the body. Then, the head is slowly unscrewed almost to the O-ring before there is enough room to screw on the end cap about half way.

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahhhh, I think I see where I botched up. My Luxeon fits in, but doesn't clear the threads. Man, I've shaved it down so much I didn't want to go down much further. Back to the shop to do some more trimming. I did all my measurements in english and then converted to metric. So, I probably made a mistake. Yup, I measured .45 and my stupid calculator is now giving me a different answer.... 11.43mm. That darn calculator giving me different answers. How dare it.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

The LS doesn't need to clear the threads on the inside of the head.

In fact, it should sit on the little ridge just above where the threads start.

The module, though, needs to clear the threads.

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Duggg:
These hints, once refined, will eventually make their way to the various web pages regarding construction of the Zetex ZLT+ Luxeon Star driver, which include:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI> www.5thcolumn.org/zetex/project
<LI> www.elektrolumens.com
[/list]

Let me know if this list needs to be changed or other pages added.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello Doug,

As I promised before, I am preparing to post the web page for your Zetex Mini Mag conversion. I have all the HTML done, and the files on my web site I need. Apparently there is some code in the HTML telling it to look somewhere for the photos. ?? I have the web page and all the photos in one directory, and I need to point to there? Can anyone help me to find this code in the html? After I correct this, I can post the web page.

Wayne www.elektrolumens.com
confused.gif
shocked.gif

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, I don't think I would have figured that out. Making the mistakes, I can clearly see the assembly. I cut a new board out, and made sure the board cleared the threads.

I dropped the board in, then the LED, and the collimator. They dry fit now and I can get the top on. Now I think if I soldered it together it will work great.

The first board I made yesterday was in a hurry. I didn't check the component placement very well. I updated it this morning pulling things in a little tighter.

The new board seems to be OK.

WORKS!!!!! One suggestion. Your instruction call out the leads being trimmed short just past the ferrite bead like 1-2mm. I found That I actually lifted the board as I backed the head up. I had to make longer leads to allow the board to rise a bit. When I did that I was able to make the whole assembly work.

Thanks. My first Luxeon Flashlight. A red flashlight. It looks awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.