New Garrity Aluminum LED flashlight at Walmart

C

Cosmic Superchunk

This morning I spotted a new Garrity LED torch on the racks at my local Walmart and decided to take one home with me.

It's an aluminium bodied torch (available in black, blue or silver) with a single Nichia LED that runs on 3 AAA alkaline batteries. The light is made and packaged for Garrity in China and carries a lifetime warranty. Price at Walmart: $12.77 U.S. dollars. Here's a pic of the package (sorry, I couldn't resist and opened the package before I decided to take pics):
DSCN0192.jpg

Here's a pic of the torch and it's accessories:
DSCN0191.jpg

Here's another pic of the light in it's sheath (note the side pouch for the lens filters):
DSCN0200.jpg

This beefy flashlight comes equipped with a camera-type lanyard, a bonus sheath and 2 lens filters: one red and one blue. 3 AAA batteries come included in the package. It's advertised as shock resistant, water resistant and weighs in at 6 ounces.

C

Cosmic Superchunk

Here's a size comparison of the Garrity with a few other lights:
DSCN0201.jpg

The beastie is a little under 5 inches in length, and it's size and looks make it appear like a "tactical" flashlight,
however, it's output is more along the lines of the Brinkmann Rebel. Like the 2AA Brinkmann Rebel and Long Life LED, the Garrity produces a perfectly round spot light with hardly any sidespill.

DSCN0198.jpg

C

Cosmic Superchunk

The batteries are inserted by unscrewing the tailcap and inserting the 3 AAA batteries in it's supplied cartridge.
DSCN0193.jpg

To activate the light simply press the tailcap switch with your thumb and voila! Alas, there is no momentary on/off feature so it's either click on or click off.

The lens in front of the light is plastic and designed to magnify the intensity of the beam and give it spot light quality.
DSCN0194.jpg

Removing the head reveals the single Nichia LED.
DSCN0195.jpg

While I haven't messed with the lights guts, it appears to be a light that can easily be tinkered with and modifed.

C

Cosmic Superchunk

Okay, so how do I like the light? This light feels good in the hand and it's robust aluminium body looks like it can take a beating. There is no battery rattle and while the nylon sheath is not the finest, it does it's job keeping the light in place and I like the little storage pouch on the side of the sheath for the blue and red lens filters. I do think the torch is too big for a single Nichia LED light and it may not appeal to everyone, but it kind of grows on you a little.

The anodizing is very much like lower end aluminium bodied torches and will scratch if you bump it against any abrasive or hard objects. Also, the Garrity stamp is not engraved and can be easily rubbed off with your thumb. Not a bad thing if you like a sterile light. It's "tactical" look is very misleading, so don't expect Surefire-like output. However, if you like the Brinkmann Long Life LED or 2AA Rebel, but wished it had a more solid construction, this light may be to your liking. Not a bad light for just under $13 bucks.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I wish I understood why there are so many large (bigger than keyring size) LED lights that have a single 5mm LED. Is it just that the public expects to see a single obvious point-source of light?

wholeflaffer

Enlightened
Thanks for the micro-review! Sounds like a reasonable deal for twelve bucks.

Is the light very white, bluish, or that "mimeograph purple" that your beamshot photo indicates? Also, can it stand on end, in candle mode? It sounds like candle mode, if possible, would be best done with the lens unscrewed and removed.

C

Cosmic Superchunk

I agree with you. I don't why Garrity decided on such a setup, while Dorcy uses multiple 5mm LEDs on anything over a single cell flashlight.

C

Cosmic Superchunk

[ QUOTE ]
wholeflaffer said:
Thanks for the micro-review! Sounds like a reasonable deal for twelve bucks.

Is the light very white, bluish, or that "mimeograph purple" that your beamshot photo indicates? Also, can it stand on end, in candle mode? It sounds like candle mode, if possible, would be best done with the lens unscrewed and removed.

[/ QUOTE ]

The light's color reminds me of the Inova X1. A warm yellowish-white surrounded by a bluish haze. Unfortunately, the light can't stand on it's tail end because of the tailswitch and while you can unscrew the head, you can't set the light for candlelight use. Now, if you unscrew the head and activate the light, you get a beam that's similar to the CMG Infinity Ultra.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I have a light somewhat similar to that that came from a Tool House here in Southeast Houston (China built).

Only mine has 3 5mm leds.

It's mighty handy to use, and decently bright.

Between Garrity and Dorcy, some really neat things are happening!

capnal

Enlightened
Hey CosmicSuperChunk,
I got one of those on July 4th weekend! Except when I found mine, all they had left was a unattractive light blue color (yuck). I will be going back to keep looking for black, green, and a red one, too. I am pleased with it, for being a $12.99 purchase. Construction seems pretty good. The holster is pretty cheesy, though. I agree the beam reminds me of X1, or for that matter, it reminds me more of my Brinkmann long life LED (2AA) or Rebel (also 2AA).

I can see it being serving in the center console of my Yukon.

C

Cosmic Superchunk

I didn't know they had them in green and red too. Looks like I'll have to go out and look for a green one. They are basically in the same class as the Brinkmanns as far as beam characteristics go, except this Garrity is built like a tank. Not at all bad for the price.

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
I purchased one of these lights a couple of days ago as well. I think Garrity would have been better served to put multiple 5MM LEDs in it instead of the single behind an optic. Aside from that, it is a very good quality light for the $$. The beam is about 33% wider than that of my Brinkmann Rebel, making it more useful, IMO. Plus, it seems to have very good mod potential. I don't think the holster is at all "cheesy"...unlike the Rebel, it actually provides you with a place to PUT the colored lens filters. Not only that, but the holster seems as though it would fit some 2X123 cell lights fairly well, and an extra set of CR123s fits in the little side pouch like it was made for them! Plus, the holster seems quite durable. Granted, it is a bit bulky for a single 5MM LED light, but it's built very well and the focus of the LED's beam is perfect (you can't see the wires leading to the dye like you can on the Rebel's beam). For what it is, I think Garrity got this one right...esp. for the price! Just my $.02...

PJD

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that price of 12.99 will be coming down soon since it only comes with the single led.
I still have both my Energizer 4aa single led lights each with a rather bright microflourescent 3 inch tube in the body.
I also got those at a Wallyworld a year ago for 12.99 each.
Energizer_trailblazer1.jpg

Zman

Enlightened
Ok. Its apart. It wasn't pretty, and it wont be going back together. The details? It was as probably many of you suspected, direct drive with a resistor. With the led and 'plug' out, it has plenty of room for a 'pill' of some sort. The ID is around .690", depth I'm having trouble measuring, but its somewhere around .5". Now if only my wife didn't have the digital camera with her, I would try to show how it looks..

Larry1582

Enlightened
I picked up a silver one at Walmart today. Not bad. Looking forward to some mod ideas.

oldeng95

Enlightened
In regards to the single led w/the 3" microflourescent, Ive already stolen the white led for a tone generator mod,
but I do have a 1 watt that might fit?? Is it true that pennies can make cheap heatsinks??
thanks
PAUL

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
The penny is cheap enough (shiny and new). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
It's piping the heat from the penny to the outside world that can get kinda interesting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Now you got me thinking about a lux mod for those, since thier reflectors do appear functional.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I screwed around and got one of these the other night.

It will HAVE to be modded somehow (paying for it will be a pain!).

I haven't found a focused lensed LED light I like yet. But this thing is BEEFY for heat sinking!

dda

Newly Enlightened
This light when on has a momenty off/on feature by depressing the switch half way. It can also be set on its tailcap with the lense cap off and be used as a candle. It sits a little tilted like that Italian tower, but if it is on a level surface, it works quite well. (Thanks for the correction.)