VIP Custom Tailcap: **1st POST UPDATED**

Halibut

Enlightened
Update: 9.13.2004

They're here!

VIPtc1.jpg
VIPtc2.jpg

VIPtc3.jpg

I got a chance to field test this tailcap design in Africa, and it performed like a champ. No undue attention from the security folks, although our bodyguard really took a liking to the VIP. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Here's a shot of the trusty EDC overlooking Cape Point (Atlantic side).

VIPtc4.jpg

These tailcaps are machined from 6061 aluminum and have been hard anodized black. There is a 1/8" hole drilled for a split ring, but I prefer using a quick link through one of the portholes as an attachment point.

I am now accepting PayPal payments for these parts ([email protected]). The total cost will be $35.50 shipped CONUS USPS Priority w/DC. For those who ordered multiples, please subtract $4.30 from the cost of each additional tailcap.

International orders will be shipped via USPS Global Priority. Please add $6 to the base price of $35.50.

In your PayPal message, please include the following:

1) Your Name
2) Your CPF Handle
3) Your shipping address

--------------------------------------------------------
1. d'mo **paid** Shipped
2. arewethereyetdad **paid** Shipped
3. cones **paid** Shipped
4. Rick258 **paid** Shipped
5. Elnath **paid** Shipped
6. 83Venture **paid** Shipped
7. arewethereyetdad **paid** Shipped
8. yaesumofo **paid** Shipped
9. Raindrop **paid** Shipped
10. Rick258 **paid** Shipped
11. m1match **paid** Shipped
12. this_is_nascar (3) **paid** Shipped
13. impact_blue
14. Vifam **paid** Shipped
15. daz **paid** Shipped
16. Bullzeyebill **paid** Shipped
17. Radagast **paid** Shipped
18. BC0311 **paid** Shipped
19. Likebright **paid** Shipped
20. Datasaurusrex **paid** Shipped
21. Alan_L **paid** Shipped
22. Monolith **paid** Shipped
23. Tweek (2) **paid** Shipped
24. LightChucker **ALIVE!!** Shipped /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/au.gif
25. kubolaw **paid** Shipped
26. Phil_B **paid** Shipped
27. indenial **paid** Shipped
28. Hallis

At this point, I only have enough tailcaps to fulfill the orders placed by those in the list above. Therefore, I won't post these on the official B/S/T until everyone on the list has been given a chance to grab a tailcap. I hope the powers-that-be don't mind, but the orders came unexpectedly fast, and I was really caught off guard.

I will send outbound PMs to confirm pending orders if I don't hear from listees within a week. Any leftover tailcaps will then be placed on the B/S/T board.

Just as a final reminder: These tailcaps do not come with a kroll or O-ring.

Thanks, everyone!

-Dan

---------------------------------

I'm going abroad for a few weeks and didn't want to risk losing my VIP (or its tailcap) to an overzealous airport security screener. I needed a design that was a little less aggressive, and immediately thought of ArcMania's SFIII. After a two week wait, I had a prototype in hand:

VIP1.jpg
VIP2.jpg

I'm still trying to figure out if it's financially feasible to produce a reasonably large run of these aftermarket tailcaps, or if there would even be demand for them. I definitely have new respect for all the modders on CPF who routinely offer entirely custom-made CNC works of art like the VIP, Blackbird, and Superflashlight. The work that goes into making a single part like this tailcap and reproducing it en masse... sheesh. Hats off to Charlie, Brock, Mike, and everyone else with the guts to do it. Yours is a labor of love.

Well, I'm off to battle-test the new tailcap. See you guys in a few weeks!

-Dan

d'mo

Enlightened
Re: VIP Aftermarket Parts...

Very nice!!! Sign me up! For once, I'm early in line! Whoohoo!

I've thought of the same thing - having some screener think the King's crown is some kind of weapon. I'd HATE to loose it to. This would be a gread addition to the VIP "kit." Great job!

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Very nice. I can't tell from looking at the picture, how is that D-link secured to the new tailcap?

83Venture

Enlightened

I'm interested in one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast

One here! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Raindrop

Enlightened

Please put me on the list as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

~Greg

Halibut

Enlightened

YIKES!

Friends, I don't want to disappoint you, but at this point, I only have a liitle over twenty tailcaps that I'm able to sell, and they're all bare aluminum at this point. These first few units were machined as a favor by a very generous machine shop owner, and I might not be making any more if there isn't enough interest to keep the per-piece cost down.

Once I get a quote from the machine shop--and unfortunately this won't happen until I return from my trip in August--I'll let everyone know what's going on and post either here or on the B/S/T.

From what I can tell, the first few bare protos are already spoken for and will be reasonably priced. Everyone who has posted so far should be covered. I do plan to get them anodized (HAIII, black).

Charlie: I stuck the quick-link through one of the tailcap's portholes. Thanks for giving me permission to do this!