News from R and R

Jack_Crow

Enlightened
Hi all, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Sitting in an internet cafe in Paddington London.

This trip has been wonderful. The fractured soul is being healed.

Spent some time at Portmiriron Wales.
Some of you might remember the 60's TV show 'The Prisoner' was filmed there. Anyhow I am pleased to report the resort has changed very little from those images.

The food was the best I had ever had bar none. That chef did things with beef and lamb that was astonishing.

We went to Dublin for an over night. Dublin is fine if you like going from bar to bar. Every third shop is a bar of some kind. The Guniss family is very big in Dublin. While the wife and I were there, we went out and had a very nice Italian dinner. In Iraq you don't get pork based Italian goodies. I was like a junkie in a drug store!

After Dublin we went to the Oxford area and I visited the grave of my favorite SF writer James Blish. It's kind of sad the yard has been poorly maintained.

Why this place? His stories kept me sane during my lousy childhood. Living with a parent that was slowly expireing from cancer was not easy. I needed escape. Coulden't afford drugs and booze, so SF was my ticket out. One must pay hommage to people that prevent misery. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

We also went to Duxford to an aircraft museum there. Got to see a flying demonstration of P51, Spitfire, Hawlker, and a B17G! Photos soon.

On the trip from Duxford to London, I was trying some toffie and pulled out a filling. Wonderful. Found a dental clinc in Paddington. This morning got the ultumate souviner of London. Xrays, and a new filling. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif

Soon the wife and I take the Eurostar to Paris for two days, then back to London for planes. Hers to Dulles in Virginia, and me back to Kuwait and the war. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Thanks much for all your help and support.
Words don't quite cover the feeling. But it's all I have to work with.

You can't imagine how nice it is to be 'normal' for a few moments in a place that is so strange.

The split between my past life in Scania and London is sharp. It's as if I have been living in two different bodies. One is sand, bugs, and hostile natives. Here it's real people going about their lives with some joy and proper sunshine.

You can't imagine how nice it feels to walk in a sprinkle of rain after two months of 125 degree days. To be human again, and enjoy the benifits of the first world.

In other news......
Ive been working with a guy I met on this board.

Depending on how things work out, I may be in the LED sign and light business when I get home. He has some exotic items that might be of some use. Will have to learn the rules here for vendors and see what happens (so if I just oversteped a rule, please forgive me). Im thinking of industrial, domestic, marine, and automotive uses, not so much flash lights since there are a number of fine dealers on this board already.

This LED business may tie into a gun supply dealership in Nevada. One of my shoot buddies has an idea to support a famous gun school with ammo sales and other kinds of support. The LED business would run in parallell at the same address. Will keep you posted.

Put some photos up on Yahoo.
Try this link.

http://photos.yahoo.com/ka2zev

Again, many thanks for keeping me sane.

Jack Crow aka Radio Mike

ps I never did get so bad as to start barking at the sun, like some of my co workers were before they split on R and R.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Argh! I won't be going on my R&R for like another 4ish months. At least when I get back, I'll only have about 2 and a half months left here.

JOshooter

Enlightened
At least the're giving you guys a break (I can't imagine how good it feels) from the war. Thanks for protecting us and God speed on returning home safely.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Jack will get all humble and say he doesn't do anything to protect our freedom.

BUT! He does stuff that makes the Troops lives better, and that translates PERFECTLY!

Watch your back Jack! Come back stateside safely!

And you make London sound almost like a nice place to visit!