CAMPING: does donts tips tricks gear advice

jtice

Flashaholic
Well,,, once again, I had a nice long detailed post wrote up, But I hit post,, and POOOOFFFF, crash,,, post lost.
Thats it, everything is typed up in notpad from now on! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Well, anyway, basically, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
I am going on a week long camping/caving/hiking trip in August.
So I was sitting here writting up a list of things i want to take, trying not to forget anything, like ussually happens.
And I thought, hey!, Ill ask my Wonderfully creative clever CPF members what they take with them, what gear they like, how they

pack, tips and tricks, and all around geral advice they might have.

I had alot of what I wanted to share typed up here, but, ahhh you know.. (poooffff)
So I will try to write that up again later. Or maybe after my August adventure /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Please feel free to share any info and posts links to products and gear you like.

-John

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i love to camp/ gear i used it all ive used a 2 dollor tarp for a tent. things i dont go cheap on is lighting i like coleman laterns and my mr bulk lights i also like a good cooler like the coleman that has 5 day ice it can keep ice for 5 days i eat tuna and peanut butter i also like good insect replet like the kind the army uses its like 100% deet

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to know more about the super strong repellant etc. Got a name for it and where to get it?

Thanks.

jtice

Flashaholic
eek,. sorry, I guess I,, did,,, something,, LOL, some of my other post posted.,.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

anyhoo.... carry on

Thanks raggie, didnt have bug repellant on the list yet! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Condiments! Ever forget the salt, Tabasco, ketchup etc? Sometimrs it's a long way back to town and a 7/11!

Larry

raggie33

*the raggedier*
o dont forget a good can openeer lol i did that once and when i go camping i get drop off soi didnt have a car and i camp in remote places. dont forget tunes

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
You need good knives. Something that can chop (and preferably dig) and something that can slice/whittle/prepare food etc. Those two are pretty indispensible, and a multi tool like a leatherman is super useful too.

Try to take a whistle or something too, just in case you need to signal, oh and a mirror.

kaseri

Enlightened
As for insect repellant I don't recommend anything with DEET in it. DEET is a horrible ingredient. Although it works well at keeping the bugs away it's also great for destroying your gear. I recommend that you go with something that does not contain DEET. A great product that I have been using for years is called "Cactus Juice"

Use a good stove as well. I have been using a Primus MFS for years now. It will burn ANY fuel.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is what works for me!

Flashlight(s)
1. Arc AA
2. MicroIlluminator AAA Luxeon
3. BB500 R2H minimag
4. MM+ R2H 2D mag (delete if backpacking)

Silverware
Titanium Spork (spoon-fork thing)

Leatherman
Regular fold out knife
swiss army knife on keychain

Eureka Timberline2 tent (great in gale force winds and big enough for you and your gear) 6 lb 10oz

Shortwave/weather radio Nothing like the BBC in the middle of nowere!

Camelback Mother Lode with two 100oz bladders and all the other crap in the pockets.

MREs (Meals ready to eat) The newest ones are not that bad at all. They taste great when you are really hungry.

Compass
Tarp
3 lighters
Canteen
Water purification stuff
Army survival guide
Bandanas
Two pairs of sunglasses
Pair of goggles with clear/smoke lens
Gore-Tex jacket (rain)
Gore-Tex pants (heavy rain)
Heavy Duty hiking boots
Light hiking boots (if HD boots need to be dried)
Synthetic socks
Synthetic T-shirts
Military long pants (much lighter than jeans and have extra pockets everywere)
DEET bugspray
Duct tape
Zip ties
Nylon cord
Dehydrated water (just add pee)
Ceramic Body Armor (if walking around in a hunting reserve during deer season)

Delta_FHInX

Newly Enlightened
Whoa this is camping or outdoor survival? With all these equipment, you need to know how to use it.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
BentHeadTX's list isn't bad. If you camp regularly, you'll justify the cost in a hurry. GoreTex stuff is the best, btw. Used it for years and I hate gettin' wet. Cold I can deal with, hot I can deal with, wet is a pain in the butt.

I'd add one more thing though -- Mountain House makes freeze-dried ice cream. Weighs nothing, looks like it should taste like chalk, but tastes like... neopolitan ice cream. A real surprise for first timers -- gave some to my very skeptical wife and watched her eyes get real big. Neat stuff. However, don't try it with a very dry mouth /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

-(a different) Craig

PS - DEET works, but avoid contact with anything like watches, glasses, etc. -- it'll eat 'em up, almost like the stuff melts them! I spray it only on my hat. Don't think I want it actually on my skin. The stuff works, though. Use 100% DEET and the bugs'll come close but then it's like there's a bubble around you. They don't come in the last few inches. It can be a little weird to tell the truth.

CNC Dan

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
cue003 said:
I would like to know more about the super strong repellant etc. Got a name for it and where to get it?

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Look for the pocket size of deep woods OFF. It is a small pump spray bottle. Don't get on plastic! Don't get on lips!

Luminocity

Newly Enlightened
Nice to have a A 2-way FRS/GMRS radio for each person in your group. At the very least, bring one pair. They are great for keeping in touch with everyone in your group if you don't all stay together for the duration of the trip.
These things have gotten very cheap and can even be had at Walmart (we always end up at a Walmart because someone forgets at least one or more items!!!).

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like to bring my S&W mountain gun too when camping /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif