playstation 2 or X-box?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
used to be ps2 cause it sold a lot more units.i wanted one since it came out but i didnt have money for it.then i got a xbox when it droped to 150. i got it cause it was better it has beter graphics.hardrive it just is better but i was always worried about ps2 takieng over console market and xbox becomeing a dreamcast and be gone and cant get games forv it .but last 2 months xbox out sold ps2.so get xbox

Topper

Flashaholic*
Well I got the PS2 for my son because it would still work with the PS1 games and it plays DVD's I do not know anything about the X-box I do not think it would play his older PS1 games not sure about DVD's
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

X33

Enlightened
Used to have Playstation2. Plays some DVDs but not all. Or freezes, skips during playback of some DVDs. So I wouldnt think of it in terms of replacing a DVD player. For games its great. I think there is more choice of games for PS2, but that might depend on what games you want to play. Some are only on X box or vice versa. Graphics are good too.

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe that the X box is capable of producing better graphics however, it has less games than the Playstation. I would go with the X-box.

Topper

Flashaholic*
My son has not had a problem playing DVD's on his PS2.
Will the X-box play DVD's?

DanM

Newly Enlightened
My kids have both, kids under 10 like the PS II because has more games for this age. The older kids like the Xbox, at this age they like the better graphics and games. We rent lots of games so having both gives a lot of flexibility. For DVD get a real DVD player.

Topper

Flashaholic*
OK I am convinced if you do not have anything the X-box is
better, I do not play games my kid likes them,will the X-box
play the hundreds of dollars worth of PS1 PS2 Games already owned or do you start over for the X-box? If we start over
I will stick to the PS2 because I am a bad dad not willing to fork over another thousand or so to upgrade my kids toy.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
ps2 is very good to topper. hell i admire em for being backwards compatable with ps1.plus there online service is free.but as ya said if youre starting over xbox is the way to go today.lol before i buy something i reseasch the hect out of it but almost got ps2 there both very good

JOshooter

Enlightened
I think it just depends on the games you're into. I have a PS2, it's one of the early models, it has some problems, but with 5 min tops they are fixed. The later models like the ones that are out now have better cooling systems, laser devices, etc. because of technology getting better.

They both have pros and cons.

PS2 has memory cards that you are portable and a wider selection of games.

The Xbox has a 60GB? harddrive and is able to connect to the internet basically right out of the box.

Here's a decent review of the question at hand.

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought it was a 5 or 10 Giga byte drive
I know it is not 60 gb

I do not own one because I have 2 fast computers with great vid cards.

either one kicks xbox hard core

raggie33

*the raggedier*
some x box,s have 20 gig drives but there locked to 10 gigs i guess 10 gigers got hard to find.its best to find a xbox with a samsung drive samsung dvd drive i mean

Zephyr

Enlightened
I have one of the older version of the PS2 and I am still having problem with mines. But I would still pick PS2 just because they have better game selections.

Kristofg

Enlightened
I have both consoles an bought about 5 games for XBOX and 40 for PS2. My main conclusion was

PS2
+ many games
+ free online service
+ downward compatible
+ plays DVD out of the box
+ compact
+ optical output (to connect to home cinema)

- needs memory card

XBOX
+ no memory card needed (but big HD is waste of space, only savegames and music is stored there)

- online service has a fee
- Few games
- Big (larger than a vcr)
- does not play DVD unless extra kit bought
- no optical output for 5.1 sound

As for graphic performance, I put them both side to side on a 40" plasma tv and there is hardly any difference. It mostly depends on how the games have been written. So instead of looking for the console, look at the games you want to play and if you need it as a DVD player too.

BTW, it seems that XBOX2 wil not play the regular XBOX games because the harddrive will no longer be included.

JOshooter

Enlightened
Sounds like Microsoft took a hint from Sony...They are just learning the console market after all.