looking for places around NYC to get away

matt_j

Enlightened
So I'm looking for places around NYC up to 8 hrs away that I can go for few days (3-4)... Looking for scenic, forrest, rivers, trails sites that are interesting, beautiful and carry some history. I recently cut down my hours (not my choice my job was shipped to India) and have some time off (but not a lot of money). Can't spend money on motels but campgrounds or sleeping in my car is fine. I wanna hike or kayak or trek makes no difference to me but want to explore.

Please give me some ideas.

Matt

pc_light

Enlightened
Hi Matt:

Sorry to hear about the work situation.

From the title, I thought you might be looking for stuff inside NYC, until I read your message and realized you were looking for away from the city.

FWIW, inside the city, I seem to remember that the Cloisters were a nice place to spend a quite morning/afternoon.

pc_light

RH

Enlightened
Hi Matt,

You've got many choices. Come on up to Northern New York and enjoy some of the great scenery. You could come up North and visit Alexandria Bay, the Thousand Islands, or Lake Placid. You could go west and visit Niagara Falls. You could come to central New York and visit the Finger Lake region or go camping in the Adirondak mountains. You have plenty of choices! You just have to remember that "Upstate NY" does not mean White Plains!

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to go to Hunter Mountain in August to do production for a festival. It is about 3 hours from NYC. It's beautifull and has plenty of hiking and biking trails in and around it. You can spend days on end hiking through the Catskills. On Hunter Mountain they will take you and your bike up to the top on the ski lift and let you ride down the ski trails. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

If you go this weekend you can catch the Celtic festival, lots of good music, food and beer. If you do go this weekend, say hi to Brian the soundguy for me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I remember several trails that lead to mountain cliffs and slate quarrys that have carvings and things etched into the mountain rocks dating back a hundred years or so.

Here are some pics I took when I was there a few years ago.

matt_j

Enlightened
Hey RH,

For the past few years every free minute I had I've spent in Bear Mountain, Harrington State Park, West Point area, Deleware Water Gap and Poconos. These are great places but want to just explore more.

Matt

jook

Newly Enlightened
Adirondacks. Cheap and rustic if you stay away from touristy areas which is easy enough. Lake Placid was mentiioned but that's kind of touristy though nice.

Also, the Finger Lakes. Beautiful scenery.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ditto: Adirondacks.

Lake George (not just the village), Lake Placid/Mirror Lake, Go up Whiteface Mt., Saranac Lake. Also see Lake Champlain.

Might be good to make your way up 9N along Lake George, then to Lake Champlain, then to the high peaks area. If you want to do the Adirondacks, ask me again. I can get more specific.

StuU

Enlightened
Check out the Presidential Range in NH. Lots and lots of peaks to climb & wander around. Mount Washington is here.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
ADIRONDACK STATE PARK

"Adirondack is the largest State Park in the U.S. and is bigger than Yellowstone and Yosemite National Parks combined"

"Land in 12 counties and 105 towns comprise New York's six million acre Adirondack Park. It is the largest state park in the contiguous United States and the largest natural area and designated wilderness east of the Mississippi. The land is owned by the State (42%) as part of the Forest Preserve, and by private interests (58%) for residences or businesses. Maintaining the delicate balance between environmental quality and economic vitality in the region is the mission of the Adirondack Park Agency which must make judgments based on the complex laws regulating land use."

ADIRONDACK STATE PARK

Brightnorm

matt_j

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Greymage said:
Eight hours away from NYC will take you all the way down to North Carolina...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes know any places?