Do Surefire L4s and KL4s still have bad tints?

suppin

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, I'm a newbie at this, been lurking around and reading for the past month or so. I noticed that there have been many past complaints of the Surefire L4s and KL4s giving really bad tints (most common is the sickly green tint). So I'm wondering if those problems are still currently widespread in the recent batches? Or has there been any recent improvement and changes to the beam/tint quality of the L4s and KL4s, considering the L1s and KL1s have had an upgrade. Any help or comment is much appreciated!

nirad

Enlightened
I just received my KL4 last week. I would not consider the beam to be tinted bad, mine is very very white with a slight barely noticable green tinge. When compared to my E2e, the KL4 makes my E2e look as yellow as butter. The beam on the KL4 has a nice wider flood than the E2e, but I think the application in which you intend to use the light(s) should be considered.
I like the veresatility of the KL4 for general "softer" spill lighting compared to the tighter pattern and throw of the E2e. The KL4 also works well with my E1e for a nice compact carry led. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
suppin said:
I noticed that there have been many past complaints of the Surefire L4s and KL4s giving really bad tints (most common is the sickly green tint).

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, really. Where have those posts been exactly? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

suppin

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I was considering getting an E2e for a throw/spot light, and a KL4 bezel for a spill light (or an L4 with an E2e bezel) Just kinda concerned about the complaints of green tint of some KL4/L4s, since it seems pretty widespread.

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have three McLux heads with Lux-IIIs, a 5W McLux head, Arc4+Rev1 and a Arc4+Rev2. The Arc4+Rev2 was the whitest LED till I got my KL4!

stockae92

Enlightened
i had a bad experience with a very green-ish yellow L4 ...

i am staying away from SureFire LEDs until they pull their act together

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
sotto said:
[ QUOTE ]
suppin said:
I noticed that there have been many past complaints of the Surefire L4s and KL4s giving really bad tints (most common is the sickly green tint).

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, really. Where have those posts been exactly? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Some of us have gotten terrible tints in the 1-watt Surefire models (L1 and KL3). There HAVE been several threads about poor tints in the 1-watt series. But, I haven't heard of any complaints regarding the 5 watt Luxeon Surefires.

My two L2s (5-watt) have above average tints, not as white as my whitest
flashlights but the L2 tint is definitely above average.

Unfortunately, my L1s and KL3s have terrible tints, the worst tints I've ever seen in a Luxeon bulb.

Mark2

Enlightened
357: There were lots of L4's with bad tints (mostly greenish). I once contacted Surefire about an especially bad L4 and they told me to send it back. Great! Unfortunately, the one they sent me was even worse... It was also very greenish and had a very bad donut hole. The serial number was much higher, I'm sure they sent me a brand-new one from their production line, I just lost again on the Luxeon lottery. I also have an L2, and this 5W is on the green side, too, but it's not really bad, it's okay. So maybe things actually changed for the better.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you get one with a bad tint just send it to one of the modders here for a guaranteed white bright luxeon. This is better than sending it back, waiting and wondering what you'll get IMO.

SJACKAL

Enlightened
Suppin,

Of all my LEDs, my L2 is the most white of them all (with a very slight tint of light pink at corona), perhaps I got lucky with the Luxeon lottery. It shows its the white king when I do beam comparision on a white wall.

I think it's all luck, poh heng sway, but I think should we have slightly better luck with 5 watts than 1 watts.

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Mark2 said:
357: There were lots of L4's with bad tints (mostly greenish). I once contacted Surefire about an especially bad L4 and they told me to send it back. Great! Unfortunately, the one they sent me was even worse... It was also very greenish and had a very bad donut hole. The serial number was much higher, I'm sure they sent me a brand-new one from their production line, I just lost again on the Luxeon lottery. I also have an L2, and this 5W is on the green side, too, but it's not really bad, it's okay. So maybe things actually changed for the better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Surefire told me the same thing about my L1s and KL3s (to send them back for repair). However, given that every single 1-watt Surefire LED I own has terrible tint), I question if it is even worth it to send them in for "repair"--if all Surefire uses is poor tints in the 1-watt series and they end up sending me a replacement that is nearly as bad, its a waste of my time (and money to ship it) to send them in for repair. Furthermore, shouldn't the quality control folks at Surefire screen out LEDs that have terrible tint? It is a premium product, is it too much to ask for Surefire to provide at least satisfactory or better tints?

I know one thing, whenever the Surefire U2s start shipping mine better have good tint. If I received my U2s ($270 product) and they had tint even half as bad as my L1s and KL3s, I'd be one ticked off customer!

suppin

Newly Enlightened
Hmm looks like it's still a bit of a problem... Spending a bunch of money and getting a light with a bad tint doesn't seem too exciting. Besides, sending it back to Surefire for a replacement will cost a bomb since I don't reside in the US. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

From what I've read on CPF, the 5 watters that Surefire produces do have better tint than the 1 watters. However, some people still end up with bad ones. Guess it's like Sjackal puts it, a matter of luck. Maybe purchasing one from a CPFer would be a better bet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Thanks to everyone for the info!

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
357 said:
I know one thing, whenever the Surefire U2s start shipping mine better have good tint. If I received my U2s ($270 product) and they had tint even half as bad as my L1s and KL3s, I'd be one ticked off customer!

[/ QUOTE ]

THAT is a really scary thought, receiving a horrible tint in a $270 light.. they'd better be giving me a W0/X0/V0 bin in that light! I just cannot imagine a Digital Ultra with anything less than a perfect LED to go with it. Maybe that's the reason why I play with Luxeons as a modder but choose incan Surefire lights with the KL1 being the exception (and I got lucky, till my TWOL arrived, it was my source of "Reference White" to which all others were compared.)

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
suppin said:
Hmm looks like it's still a bit of a problem... Spending a bunch of money and getting a light with a bad tint doesn't seem too exciting. Besides, sending it back to Surefire for a replacement will cost a bomb since I don't reside in the US. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

From what I've read on CPF, the 5 watters that Surefire produces do have better tint than the 1 watters. However, some people still end up with bad ones. Guess it's like Sjackal puts it, a matter of luck. Maybe purchasing one from a CPFer would be a better bet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Thanks to everyone for the info!

[/ QUOTE ]

What I don't understand is how other companies can put out flashlights with consistently good tints, and yet Surefire (arguably the maker of the most quality flashlights in the world) consistently puts out terrible tints (especially in their 1-watt series).

My Pelican M6 LEDs all have exceptional white tints (the best of all my flashlights), my Streamlight Jr. Luxeons all have very good tints, and every Arc LS and 4+ I have all have very good tints (except 1 with average tint). Plus, I have many other brands that at least put out acceptable or better tints consistently. This being the case, why is Surefire (a premium top notch brand) using inferior tints when many other "lesser" brands are able to get ahold of superior tint bins?

I just don't understand it.

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
KevinL said:
[ QUOTE ]
357 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

THAT is a really scary thought, receiving a horrible tint in a $270 light.. they'd better be giving me a W0/X0/V0 bin in that light! I just cannot imagine a Digital Ultra with anything less than a perfect LED to go with it. Maybe that's the reason why I play with Luxeons as a modder but choose incan Surefire lights with the KL1 being the exception (and I got lucky, till my TWOL arrived, it was my source of "Reference White" to which all others were compared.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I think receiving a bad tint in a U2 would be the final straw...I would NOT buy another Surefire LED if one of the 2 U2s I ordered in the presale had a bad tint (anyone know when the U2s will actually start shipping)?. There is IMO NO EXCUSE to have anything less than top notch tint in a $270 flashlight. If Surefire doens't provide that, I'll stick to their incandescents.

For the moment, I'll be positive and assume that the U2s will have good tints. Only time will tell though.

SJACKAL

Enlightened
I think Surefire are still more at home with their Incandescents and gun lights... Hope that they will improve soon, coz most people, including myself, prefers to buy a light off the shelf knowing it's the best it can get. I just don't like buying a flashlight and having to take trouble to get it modded again, especially people out of USA, it so inconvenient.

SJACKAL

Enlightened
Where will you be buying them from? If from Sheares they usually let you test the light first so if you have a good rapport with them, maybe you can ask to see another one if the beam isn't white enough, they might open another box for you perhaps... Their ceiling is white color, so you can test it on the low ceiling, bring your whitest Luxeon along for comparison. If its a common model, they usually have a box already opened for customers to play around. If that piece is good then take that, you won't mind the batteries won't you? That time when I got my L2, the piece they showed me has a splendid white beam, only very slightly green. When I buy they gave me an unopened sealed piece, I just thought nevermind, it should be more or less the same quality, when I tested it at home I am very satisfied, it's as good as the one I see, but the tint is very slightly pink instead, I prefer pink rather than green ahhaha. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

suppin

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
SJACKAL said:
Hope that they will improve soon, coz most people, including myself, prefers to buy a light off the shelf knowing it's the best it can get. I just don't like buying a flashlight and having to take trouble to get it modded again, especially people out of USA, it so inconvenient.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's very true, at least I can test it and not get it if it has got a horrid tint. And yeah, slight pink is better than green heh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

suppin

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
357 said:
What I don't understand is how other companies can put out flashlights with consistently good tints, and yet Surefire (arguably the maker of the most quality flashlights in the world) consistently puts out terrible tints (especially in their 1-watt series).

My Pelican M6 LEDs all have exceptional white tints (the best of all my flashlights), my Streamlight Jr. Luxeons all have very good tints, and every Arc LS and 4+ I have all have very good tints (except 1 with average tint). Plus, I have many other brands that at least put out acceptable or better tints consistently. This being the case, why is Surefire (a premium top notch brand) using inferior tints when many other "lesser" brands are able to get ahold of superior tint bins?

I just don't understand it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand what you mean, 357 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I've been lucky with my other LEDs from other companies and haven't recieved a really badly tinted one from them. And I think Sjackal might have a point there too, Surefire incans are top notch. Hope your U2s turn out well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif