UK spotlight bargain?

across the pond

Newly Enlightened
Don't know what the quality or run time is yet, but my local Homebase is selling a 3.5m cp spotlight for 19.99.
Seems a pretty good price. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

They also have a smaller 2m cp version if you don't fancy carrying a torch with a reflector the size of a dinner plate around with you... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

nobbe

Newly Enlightened
.............. got any picture of that light ?

We had a similar offer here in Germany in a big do-it-yourself store near where I live but this one seemed not to be the highest quality.

-Norbert

across the pond

Newly Enlightened
Don't have a picture yet, but it's big and yellow... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Runs off 6v 4Ah SLA batteries (comes with two) has a yellow plastic body and a black rocker switch behind the enormous head. Reflector is smooth. I don't expect for a moment that £20 will get you a huge slice of quality pie, but 175000 cp per £1 is good value. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'll probably buy one tomorrow just to play... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

across the pond

Newly Enlightened
woohoo! my 100th post!

And I've just noticed the other day was my 2 year anniversary of discovering CPF... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/party.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/party.gif

nobbe

Newly Enlightened
so if you buy one - show us a picture. In fact, for this amount of money you cannot go wrong. And if you don´t like it this type of light still might be a nice host for a HID conversion or an experimental thing or something.

-Norbert

across the pond

Newly Enlightened
Yep, I'll definitely buy one today.
And if it's no good I could always use it as a dinner plate... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PeterW

Enlightened
I noticed in the latest Argos extra catalogue that they are doing a 3.5MCP Thor look alike for around 20 quid too. Bit galling as I just spent 30 quid on one via the internet!! Yeah, it is a bit of a biggie, but it does chuck out a good amount of light and you can warm your hands in the beam in front of the lens. Simple build so it ought to be simple to rejig with your choice of light engine, the reflector isn't that deep though so it may not do the best collimating job, but I'll let others decide!

Cheers

PEterW

across the pond

Newly Enlightened
Well, I bought one... looks like the argos one, but haven't managed to unpack it yet. Was going to play after dinner, but scalded my hand/wrist on some steam, so I'm typing one handed with the other one covered in aloe vera gel and held in front of a fan... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

across the pond

Newly Enlightened
More info - managed to get around to opening the box...

12v 100w lamp, 2x6v 4Ah SLA batteries inside.
240v 350mA charger + 12v car charger (forgot to check the charge rate).

Exact maths gives 28.8 mins run time, but maybe 25 is more realistic if the batts start to dim before you use the full 4Ah.

Since it's a standard fit car lamp, spares are real cheap, and you could fit a 55w for 50min run time. Will get some pics when I get a chance...

Edit:
I suppose you could also fit a 6v 55w and reconnect the batts in parallel too...

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you are being optimistic in your calculations. The 4 amp hour rating only applies when the battery is used at a 20 hour rate.

I have the Thor that allegedly puts out 3.5 mega CP. It has the same batteries that yours has and it came with a 12v 100 watt Philips H3. I put a 55 watt Sylvania bulb in it and I get 34 minutes run time. I never tried running with the 100 watt bulb because I'm pretty sure it won't run long enough to be useful to me.

The Thor has room for a bigger battery and I think I can fit a 12v 7 amp hour battery in there. I might try that one of these days.

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you guys like them 20 pound clunkers with car batteries to run them? I here about Thor and other monster lights but dang they seem just too big. They are cheap here in USA to and easy to get at the big department stores. But man I have a 20 year old Coleman lantern that runs on gas and has 2 mantels that is brighter. And no batteries. You cand find them 55 watt hand spots over here for $10-$20 any where called VECTOR. Big yellow sucker. Is that what tou guys have?

NikolaTesla /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

An Arc lamp is the Spark that takes away the Dark--HID Forever!

My Lights LightWar /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
my big single mantle multi
fuel kerosene petromax lantern
would crush your dual mantle
gasoline coleman lantern in light
output and my petromax is made
out of nickel plated brass.
and I can run it on kerosene-gasoline
-cooking oil-biodiesel etc.
ok I will go back to being
sorta normal now

ok my post did not make it scroll
from left to right- I hate that.

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cheese, they throw every where. Like a 300 watt bare bulb. Light for everyone! That's an idea. Make a 2 foot reflector with a hanger for the lantern in just the right place.. Presto Coleman spot light! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

NikolaTesla /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

An Arc lamp is the Spark that takes away the Dark--HID Forever!

My Lights LightWar /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif

naromtap

Enlightened
Maplins are selling one over here that is allegedly 10MCP for £10 or £20, my friend bought it but as yet, I not seen it, I doubt it will be a true 10MCP light somehow!

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Markdi, the Thor comes in at least two versions. Mine is the alleged 3,500,000 CP version. It has an alleged 4 amp hour battery. Actually two 6v batteries in series. It guess it weighs somewhere around 6 pounds.

Probably the only thing that's rated honestly in this light is the 100 watt bulb. I haven't tested this bulb but the Sylvania Silver Star 55 watt 12 v bulb I use does indeed suck 55 watts at 12 volts. Actually I measured 57 watts at 11.8 volts.

Those gas lanterns with the mantles are great lights. Maybe we need a searchlight competition to see which is "better". It's got to be a real-world competition though. To be useful, the lights will need to survive rattling around in the back of a pickup truck with other tools for a week, being dropped two feet to the ground, and being kicked.

Seriously though I wonder at what distance the focused beam of a spotlight would beat the gas lantern.

across the pond

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
naromtap said:
Maplins are selling one over here that is allegedly 10MCP for £10 or £20, my friend bought it but as yet, I not seen it, I doubt it will be a true 10MCP light somehow!

[/ QUOTE ]

mis-print? the only one that maplins sell that contains it's own batteries is 1Mcp...?

cheesehead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a propane mantle light and working around the yard late at night, there is NOTHING better (puts out as much light as a 60-75 watt incandescent /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif). Of course, the neighbors wonder if I'm burying bodies (ala John Wayne Gacy).

As far as throw, well, anything beyond 30-40 feet there's not that much light. Any focused spotlight will do better. But the runtime and light output can't be beat. I mean, you have so much energy in the propane canister (like a little bomb, er maybe big bomb), that a battery powered light can't come close (despite the incredibly poor efficiency of a gas light).

And to get back to this thread, the UK spot is a bargin, if you convert to HID /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif.

across the pond

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
eluminator said:
I think you are being optimistic in your calculations. The 4 amp hour rating only applies when the battery is used at a 20 hour rate.

I have the Thor that allegedly puts out 3.5 mega CP. It has the same batteries that yours has and it came with a 12v 100 watt Philips H3. I put a 55 watt Sylvania bulb in it and I get 34 minutes run time. I never tried running with the 100 watt bulb because I'm pretty sure it won't run long enough to be useful to me.

The Thor has room for a bigger battery and I think I can fit a 12v 7 amp hour battery in there. I might try that one of these days.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a shame. I had thought that lead acid were good at delivering their full capacity even at high drain (as long as you don't run them down low). Oh well... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif