TnC Key-Lux "N" cell and AA Review

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast
TnC Key-Lux \"N\" cell and AA Review

Today the mail lady delivered a TnC Custom Products Key-Lux "N" cell flashlight to keep my Key-Lux AA CPF Special company. On first inspection, the light seems to be ideal for EDC keychain use. Slightly shorter than an ARC AAA and a little larger in diameter, with the head a little larger diameter than the body. Here are the measurments:

Key-Lux "N" cell:
Length- 2.480"
Body Diameter- .590"
Head Diameter- .645
Weight (with battery) 7/8oz

Key-Lux AA:
Length- 3.460"
Body Diameter- .730"
Head Diameter- .875"
Weight (with battery)- 2 1/8oz

From the TnC web site:

"This light is regulated and powers the LED at aprox. 200mA. Run time on this light is aprox. 60-70min. Just tighten the head to turn it on. Comes with a Mineral Glass Lens and uses a Luxeon 1watt HD LED."

The light came ready to use with a 500mAh rechargeable "N" cell battery charged and pre-installed. I had already recieved some additional batteries and a couple of adapters so that the batteries can be charged in a standard AA charger. They worked perfectly in my Maha MH-C204F charger.

The lights have an "orange peel" reflector installed and the resulting beam is nice and round with good sidespill and a wide, even, hotspot. As you can see in the beamshots, the Key-Lux AA has a smaller, but brighter hotspot and also has a good amount of sidespill that is a little brighter than the "N" cell. As would be expected, the "N" cell is actually quite a bit brighter than the Arc AA, but my beamshots aren't the greatest and the difference isn't as pronounced in the pictures.

Fit and finish on both the AA and "N" are very good, with slight mismatch in the HA finish that is not objectionable and pretty much expected with different parts. Both lights have O-rings at the head, tail and the lens, so they should be at least dunkproof. There is a spring in the tailcap that applies pressure to the battery, and there is no rattle to be found. The "knurling" is very comfortable and makes it easy to use either one-handed. The head twists on and off easily and motion is very smooth.

I'll leave it to the experts to do an actual run time analysis and such, I just wanted to give my impressions of these lights. I'm very impressed with both lights, and can see that a lot of thought and work went into these. My thanks to TnC Custom Products for making these lovely lights!

TnC Custom Products

Key-Lux AA (top) and "N" cell (bottom)
P8130011.jpg

Arc AA, Key-Lux AA, Key-Lux "N", Arc AAA Premium
P8130001.jpg

Front view
KeyLuxFront.jpg

Key-Lux AA (1 meter)
KeyLuxAAnight.jpg

Key-Lux "N" (1 meter)
KeyLuxNnight.jpg

Arc AA (1 meter)
ArcAAnight.jpg

<font color="red">*Updated- More beam shots further down page* </font>

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: TnC Key-Lux \"N\" cell and AA Review

I was wondering about the AA and N cell comparision. Thanks for the clarification and beamshots.

Curtis

Zigzago

Enlightened

Fitz,
Thanks for the impressions and the great photos. I hope TnC can keep producing these because they're both on my short list.

When and where was the AA version offered for sale? I completely missed it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks guys!

Zigzago- The AA's were offered as a presale around the end of May. I believe they are doing another run that will be slightly different, so keep your eyes peeled.

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast

Original post edited to include AA dimensions.

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice review. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Too bad the head & body HA is mismatched though. Can't wait to get mine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah, it would be nice to have the colors match better, but it certainly doesn't affect the general utility of the light. Even Surefire can't get their pieces to match up all the time. At least it's not purple!

TnC_Products

Flashlight Enthusiast

That is the problem with Hard Ano. really hard to get to match exactly. Same material but the Temper of the material makes a big difference. They all come from the same Bar Stock.

I have a new post in the manufactures section for the new key-Lux AA Models.

Kiessling

Flashaholic

Hey Mike ... that AA light sure look promising ...
A general idea about runtime?
And has anyone any experiences with L91 lithizums in that thing since I think to recall those were forbidden ... ?
bernhard

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast

Bernhard,
I was hoping someone with proper equipment would do a runtime chart but since it was such a small run maybe they don't have one. I'll try doing an unscientific test and see what happens possibly tomorrow.

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast

just to add,

i dropped my AA Keylux in a glass of ice water and let it sit for about 1 minute and it survived with just some fogging of the glass lens.

those beamshots make your Arc AA look like it's on steriods! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

when comparing my Keylux AA with my Arc AA there's no contest.......

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast

4x4- I haven't quite figured out how to get my camera not to auto expose the beamshot pics. It definitely isn't as bright as either of the TnC lights!

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast

yeah i figured it was probably just the camera.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic

Mike ... I have a crappy cam , too, that is why I always use a reference light in the beamshots. Here you could do a shot of the AA vs. TNC in one image and the difference will be crystal clear.
bernhard

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast

Good idea, Bernhard! My problem there is how to fit both beams in one shot from floor to ceiling distance, since I don't have a white wall clear enough to do it. I'll see what I can manage to do.

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast

OK, as per Bernhards suggestion, I snapped a few more beam shots. Still not true to life, but it gives you a better idea of relative brightness. These were taken approx. 2 feet from ceiling to get both beams in.

Key-Lux "N" vs Arc AA
KLNvsArcAA.jpg

Key-Lux AA vs Arc AA
KLAAvsArcAA.jpg

Key-Lux AA vs Key-Lux "N"
KLAAvsKLN.jpg

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast

just to add, in case anyone is wondering, the spill/corona on my Keylux AA matches exactly in size that of my Arc AAA.

so basically when i lay then next to each other the same distance from a wall, the beam width is exactly the same, but of course the Keylux is much brighter and whiter.

LED_ASAP

Enlightened

If the light will last for 60-70min regulated on a 500mAh battery, the battery draw will not be more than 400mA. Then there is no way you can push 200mA through the LS:

Assume you have a 100% efficient converter, so you have V(in) * I(in) = V(out) * I(out)

So I(out) = V(in)* I(in) / V(out), or

I(out) = 1.2V * 400mA / 3.5V = 137mA

From the beam shot comparison vs. Arc AAA, it is safe to say that the driving current is just about half of what's claimed.

For a LS-modded Arc AAA with 800mA battery draw (So you do have 200+mA through the LS even if the converter is only 80% efficient), here is what you will get:

Stock-NDT-2.jpg