Nice photos of LS/O

jeff1500

Enlightened
http://www.bit-tech.net/review/82/2

Here's a nice review of a Luxeon Star with optics. Interesting close-up photos and details.

It makes this statement:
" Solder pads on the PCB allow you to make electrical connections, and the anode is marked with a dot. "

Which is the correct wire to hook to the anode and what happens if you get it wrong?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jeff1500:
http://www.bit-tech.net/review/82/2

Here's a nice review of a Luxeon Star with optics. Interesting close-up photos and details.

It makes this statement:
" Solder pads on the PCB allow you to make electrical connections, and the anode is marked with a dot. "

Which is the correct wire to hook to the anode and what happens if you get it wrong?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In an LED (this includes the LS), the anode goes to the (+) side of the battery or power supply. The cathode (sometimes marked "K") always goes to the (-) side.

What happens if you hook it up wrong depends a great deal on the type of Luxeon and the open circuit supply voltage. With red & amber Luxeons, usually nothing happens at all with normal battery voltages (6 volts or less).
With the others, nothing bad usually happens unless the supply voltage is more than 3 or 4 volts, then you'll usually smoke the LED unless it's protected by a zener or something. That dot is there for a reason, and it's a pretty cool idea to know what it's there for (to indicate which side goes to the +) and to try to get your connections right the first time around.
smile.gif

I don't care what the guy at the restaraunt says, smoked LEDs don't taste like chicken.
x.gif

MrAl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello all,

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The LED Museum:

I don't care what the guy at the restaraunt says, smoked LEDs don't taste like chicken.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree! Taste more like a burnt up
fifteen dollar bill, plus shipping :)

Nice pics Jeff, even showing the tiny little
tab (one of two) that holds the lens on.
I would prefer heavier tabs really.
It is kind of funny that they used such
tiny tabs.

Thanks for the pics.

--Al