Pila Light Questions

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have recently been looking at getting a pila light to replace my SL stinger XT - i am just wondering what the GL3R and GL3XR are like in terms of beam shape and brightness
are they spotty and ringy or do they have nice smooth beams like surefires, also - would the hotspot size be smaller or larger than a P60 (i know they would be brighter)
i am looking for a light that throws a little better than my 6P and has a Large hotspot + plenty of spill - something that will light up rooms well
thank you in advance for your help

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
The PILA lights have a very nice beam. Close to Surefire in quality. The GL3 has a smaller head and a bit less side spill. The GL3X has the larger head and has a huge side spill. Throw is better than the P60 but the hot spots on PILA lamps is much bigger. The PILA lights tend to be a bit more flood than the comparable surefire.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Echo63,

Between the GL3X and the GL3, I personally like the GL3 better. As some of my customers that have seen all the Pila lights, it hits a sweet spot between size and brightness. If I were thinking of gettig the GL3X, I would jump all the way up to the GL4 instead.

I am always happy to sell a GL3X but I think that a good arguement can be made for the GL2, the GL3, or the GL4 that cannot be made for the GL3X. I make more money on the GL3X so I am not saying this to be selfish.

The GL2 because it is pretty small but still a robust light. The GL3 because it is bright and very robust (my favorite of the bunch). The GL4 is a very robust light that is just a 123 length longer than the GL3X but the same in the all other size measurements. If you wanted a short GL4 then the Gl3X is the way to go but if I wanted to go smaller, I would drop down to the GL3. But this is just my opinion on things.

If you do not want the Led tailcaps and do not mind loading from the front, the G3 is a nice cheaper alternative.

Thanks
Jon

Topper

Flashaholic*
I have 2 GL4's and the GL3X if I had to pick the GL4 wins
hands down not to say I dislike the GL3X I use it as well.
Both have good spill I have not tried a GL3.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Topper,

I think you should get on the GL3 passaround list to make a comparison. I know that I intended for the passaround to be for people who have not tried Pila lights but since you have the big ones. You could see the difference quickly. An un-biased comment about the different lights is always a great thing.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
john makes a very valid point. I use my GL3 mounted on a weapon with a coiled paddle switch.
I carry the GL4 on duty as my primary belt mounted light.

If I were to be a day shift person the GL3 would be the choice for me. I think the GL3X series has more side spill but the standard GL3 model is very easy to use as carry light.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I've been running a P91 on 2x PILA 168s in a 9P with A19 extender. When I receive Balrog's BE4 body (same diameter as E2e, accommodates 4x 123 or 2x 168s) including an E2C bezel adapter it will be a little longer than the PILA 3 series but considerably lighter and slimmer with longer runtime because of the 400Mah increase in battery capacity. But the PILA will have better thermal management because of its more massive body.

Brightnorm