LithiumLux, the Lithium 123 Luxeon Star Flashlight!

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I finally finished this Luxeon Star flashlight which I have been working on for a while. I call it the 'LithiumLux'. It uses 2 Lithium 123 batteries. I use 3/4" copper pipe for the body, a 1" to 3/4' pipe reducer for the head, and a 3/4" cap for the tailcap. I had to shim the insides to match the size of the batteries. I added a 3 way switch, with low and high beam setting. Here's a few pics, with a Mini Mag for size comparison.

LithiumLux.4.jpg

LithiumLux.1.jpg

LithiumLux.3.jpg

Any comments? I might produce something this size, but in aluminum or brass?

Not sure how long the batteries will last?

Wayne
www.elektrolumens.com
grin.gif

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
What resistance are you using at full blast? Also, what's the current?

BTW, see if you can get through an airport with that thing. I'll bet you can!
cool.gif

p.s. If you rip the shims out of an Energizer 4AA barrel, you'll see they fit 123 cells perfectly. Maybe a dual LS could be made.

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! Another fine piece of work, Elektrolumens!

You're one of those guys on the CPF that makes me put things like "lathe", "pipe-cutter", "threading machine" and "bench-drill" on my shopping list. You've also got me eyeing aluminium pipes and acrylic tubes like prime rib steaks.

I'd like to see one of these with those new 5W LSs!
grin.gif
cool.gif

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hotfoot:
Wow! Another fine piece of work, Elektrolumens!

You're one of those guys on the CPF that makes me put things like "lathe", "pipe-cutter", "threading machine" and "bench-drill" on my shopping list. You've also got me eyeing aluminium pipes and acrylic tubes like prime rib steaks.

I'd like to see one of these with those new 5W LSs!
grin.gif
cool.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd like some of that equipment too! All I got is a drill press, a bench vice, a hack saw, bench griner, hand tools, and some files!

Wayne www.elektrolumens.com

grin.gif

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lux Luthor:
What resistance are you using at full blast? Also, what's the current?

BTW, see if you can get through an airport with that thing. I'll bet you can!
cool.gif

p.s. If you rip the shims out of an Energizer 4AA barrel, you'll see they fit 123 cells perfectly. Maybe a dual LS could be made.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am using 3 ohms resistance on high setting. I haven't tested the current, but it is probably around 500mA - 700mA. I'll have to check it and I'll let you know.

I wouldn't want to set foot in an airport with this thing, or any of my CopperLux flashlights either! Not a good idea.

Here's a simple idea for a dual LS. Mount 2 Luxeon stars on a plate of 1/4" thick aluminum, oh, 2" X 3". Go to Radio Shack and purchase their 4 AA battery holder, the one that is enclosed and has a switch on it. Wire it up parallel, with 3 ohms resistance. Should last a couple of hours anyway at full brightness, and man, it is extremely bright. Could be mounted on a bike?

shocked.gif

JollyRoger

Enlightened
Once again, great work, Wayne! I really like it....it looks very polished....

nice.....

maybe time to start working on your step-down regulators again????

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JollyRoger:
Once again, great work, Wayne! I really like it....it looks very polished....

nice.....

maybe time to start working on your step-down regulators again????
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I haven't forgotten about my voltage regulators, I'm just working on other things now. I'll come back to them at some point.

There's not really a need for a voltage regulator on this one. It could be made smaller with the use of a step up regulator, and a single Lithium 123. Or 3 Lithiums could be used with a step down regulator, for a slightly longer size, and probably pretty good battery life. Lot's of options. The simplest is just to resist down the battery a little bit. I bet I get about 3 or 4 hours of good brightness, and then hours and hours of diminishing returns.

Wayne

shocked.gif

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wayne,

Another truely great mod! I especially like the dual power mode rocker switch, very nice. Maybe you should look at getting a cheap plating outfit; a chrome or gold plated LithiumLux would really catch the eye...

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lambda:
Wayne,

Another truely great mod! I especially like the dual power mode rocker switch, very nice. Maybe you should look at getting a cheap plating outfit; a chrome or gold plated LithiumLux would really catch the eye...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Lamda.
grin.gif
I would like to go with a chrome body, and laquered brass ends. Sort of a 'retro' look. This 2 Lithium battery flashlight is definately my favorite. However, it took me a lot of labor to make it. (Making the sleeves for the inside was difficult.) I use 3 ohms resistance on the high powered end. It is extremely bright. I haven't measured the current because I'm too lazy to take it apart and do the measurement.
rolleyes.gif

These batteries are not cheap either!
shocked.gif

I might make a few more of these and offer them for sale?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ONLY if you promise to thread the end cap, heh heh.

Very nice.

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MR Bulk™:
ONLY if you promise to thread the end cap, heh heh.

Very nice.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You'd be surprised how well the cap stays on. I put a squeeze on it, just enough, to make it out of round and this makes it stay on snug. I've sold several this way, with no complaints.

Anyway, the total cost of the parts isn't much, and it doesn't look as funny in my pocket as a 3 'D' cell Mag Lite.
grin.gif

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another great flashlight. I like the copper look.

I saw an old style flashlight at a outdoors type store. It was a 2C? flashlight with a metal frame or tin tube style. Anyway, it had a slide switch and a push button for momentary light. You should rip the switch assembly off that $2.00 flashlight and use the assembly on the copperlux. I've got silver powder that you can use to apply a thin coat of silver to the copper assembly. Then of course you'd have to polish it once a month!
wink.gif

I think the switch assembly was just riveted on.

-Wayne

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dat2zip:
Another great flashlight. I like the copper look.

I saw an old style flashlight at a outdoors type store. It was a 2C? flashlight with a metal frame or tin tube style. Anyway, it had a slide switch and a push button for momentary light. You should rip the switch assembly off that $2.00 flashlight and use the assembly on the copperlux. I've got silver powder that you can use to apply a thin coat of silver to the copper assembly. Then of course you'd have to polish it once a month!
wink.gif

I think the switch assembly was just riveted on.

-Wayne
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello Wayne (dat2zip),

The switch I'm using cost almost $5.00. It is very expensive. In the forward postion, the light is a lower brightness, as I used 10 ohms resistance, in the rear position, it uses 3 ohms resistance, and is extremely bright. The forward setting is sufficient brightness for most any use like walking or searching for something. In the bright mode, it lights up the night, really. The Luxeon Star is mounted on an aluminum heat sink, and is pressed into the copper head, and ample heat sink epoxy is used to secure it.

The way I made it, the switch presses in perfectly. I've tried several switches, but this one works the best.

Silver would look nice. Copper when well polished is very beautiful. It requires polishing to maintain it that way. Mag wheel polish works great.

Wayne Johnson www.elektrolumens.com

DonL

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ElektroLumens:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wayne, if you decide to do so, please put me on your list. This is a beautiful job!

Then, I can sit in the yard at night in an outdoor chair frame I made from copper pipe and play with a light made of copper pipe.
grin.gif

Mr. Blue

Enlightened
Wayne...Here is a tip I learned from an old plumber...Lacquer the polished, clean copper. I have seen old houses where plumbers used to do this and it lasts for years in the bright state. What type of piping are you using...water, heating etc?

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DonL:
Wayne, if you decide to do so, please put me on your list. This is a beautiful job!

Then, I can sit in the yard at night in an outdoor chair frame I made from copper pipe and play with a light made of copper pipe.
grin.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmmmmmm, a chair made of copper pipe?? And a flashlight made with copper pipe??
shocked.gif

I might make a couple more, just for the fun of it.

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Geoff in Philly:
Wayne...Here is a tip I learned from an old plumber...Lacquer the polished, clean copper. I have seen old houses where plumbers used to do this and it lasts for years in the bright state. What type of piping are you using...water, heating etc?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the tip on the Laquer. Actually, I have tried using clear paint. It looks great until it gets a scratch, and then all scratched up. The painted part looks good and the scratches look terrible. I decided it's better to leave it natural, and just polish it once in a while. Polished copper is very beautiful.

I just get the pipe from Home Depot. It's the better heavier grade stuff, blue?

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EMPOWERTORCH:
I'm new to the forum and fairly new to the LED torch scene, but I'm hooked! The latest copper pipe torch looks very impressive... a veritable combination of new and old technology...looks like I'll have to visit my local plumbing store to make some really great torch bodies!
The torch is certainly very well finished! The rocker switch certainly finishes it off very well.
I have not yet seen the Luxeon Star LED's but have read extensively about torches fitted with this amazing device. At last we have something to replace good old Mr Edison's bulb!
Like many other forum members I would be interested in finding out what machinery is used to produce such a fine hand made torch!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the compliments.

As regards my machinery, I use a hack saw, a pipe cutter, a drill press, bench vice, bench grinder, file, hammer. Hmmmm, I think that's about it. High tech Yankee machinery.
grin.gif

Wayne www.elektrolumens

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
I'm new to the forum and fairly new to the LED torch scene, but I'm hooked! The latest copper pipe torch looks very impressive... a veritable combination of new and old technology...looks like I'll have to visit my local plumbing store to make some really great torch bodies!
The torch is certainly very well finished! The rocker switch certainly finishes it off very well.
I have not yet seen the Luxeon Star LED's but have read extensively about torches fitted with this amazing device. At last we have something to replace good old Mr Edison's bulb!
Like many other forum members I would be interested in finding out what machinery is used to produce such a fine hand made torch!