Final debate between L1 and L4

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am in the final stages of my debate for my scout light. Its going to be either the L1, L4, 6P, e1e, or the E2d defender.

It is to be a light for camping and stuff like that. If anyone could give me some advice, I would be eternally greatful. ( I can get the L4 for $125 but I dont know if its worth it.)

-tom

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Heck, this is easy! Get the A2!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

SteveD

Newly Enlightened
I love my L1 for camping. No, it won't give an intruder a tan at 50 yards, and some would argue that on really difficult or tricky trails you might wish for more light occasionally. For most tasks in a campground it's enough, with decent spill, no rings and in a convenient size.

BUT, the low level is awesome. When you wake up in the middle of the night to get a drink or whatever, you can turn the low beam on with completely dark-adapted eyes, and not wince even a little. Try that with an L4, or even an E1e. It's bright enough to find what you need in the tent, and even to read if you're not doing it for hours on end. And it will keep going for a long time.

paulr

Flashaholic
I wouldn't get the L1. It was cool for a week or so but it's outdated now. $125 is a good price for an L4 and you should grab it. If you want high-low modes for your L4, just put on one of McGizmo's two-stage E2S tailcaps. You could also consider the Aleph series flashlights.

MDM

Newly Enlightened
I would go with the L1 for the uses you describe. You'll get a much longer battery life with the L1 than the L4.

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with MDM. Long battery life is more important than outright brightness when camping. And if there are no ambient light sources nearby, a 1 watt Luxeon is more than enough for most things.

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cornkid:

A camping light needs some mode for extending battery life cuz you 1)don't necessarily know how long you might be "out there", and 2) you might not have "spares". You'll find the old-timers here (and some of the young-timers too) live by the phrase "one is none, and two is one". In other words you need a good, longlasting, last-ditch rugged backup if you don't already have one for the deep dark woods.

And have fun! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

tequilathursday

Newly Enlightened
I also agree with the L1. I was pondering that very question for a while, and while the 5w leds have great output, your still limited to a very typical 1hr runtime. (If I were camping with one light,I'd want to be sure that the flashlight in my hand is capable of running till dawn if needed)
The 15 or so lumens the L1 produces on high is more than enough light for the dark unknown, and on low it will certainly still be going at daybreak. You didn't mention the L2 which is probably an even better choice due to overall brightness, but quite a bit larger than the 1 or 4.

You could even bring along something much cheaper like an incan sl TL2 or similiar. You can practicaly loose it in your pocket (like the L1,4) but if ya need to 'light something up' its there.

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L1 15 lumen output is very bright when pitch dark outside, its plenty of light for close range. The low beam lasts longer and at < 1 lumen is still bright enough to navigate slowly indoors in pitch black. However, both my L1s are so tinted that its hard for me to recommend that model.

If the L4 is anything like my L2 on high, I'd be impressed. My L2s are BRIGHT, and have only slight to moderate tint. Plus, the beam of the L2s is excellent quality. My understanding is that the L4 beam is very much like the L2 beam, so I'd say go with the L4. Or better yet, get an L2 and have two regulated levels.

duncanmx

Newly Enlightened
I do not have either the L1 or the L4, however I can advise of my experience with a Pelican M6 LED (one watt luxeon).

Over the august long weekend I had the joy of taking part in the Great Canadian Death race. During my section I ran 7km in pitch blackness on a curvy uneven mountain road. My sole lightsource for the 7Km run was my trusty PM6-LED. This light proved excellent not only for its 4 hour battery life, but also for lighting up about 20 metres of trail more than adequantely for myself and a fine gentleman from New York to maintain a roughly 8 minute mile pace for nearly an hour. I then passed the light on to my wife who used it for the next 3 hours, in conjuction with a headlamp, to cover 26 Km in the dark.

A luxeon 1 watt is more than adequate light for a truly dark light.

If you are looking solely for a camping light I would buy a luxeon headlamp personally. Or one of the new electrolumens XM-3's that use AA's. Cheap batteries are good. My PM6 is actually my duty light for LEO work.

Flashlight Enthusiast
^I agree about the Pelican M6 LED. A great light.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Choosing btwn the L1 and L4 for camping, I'd say L1 as well. Longer battery life and dual output makes it more useful. Sure you can carry a load of spare 123s but do you want to keep changing out batteries over an hour or so?

The PM6 Led is also a pretty cool light and very bright as well, IIRC. For its size and price, I'd also vote to go with the PM6 Led.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where is the CPF mantra?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/duh2.gif

GET BOTH!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

The only problem is that Surefire's variable-power lights are all fixed configuration lights - the L1, L2, A2 and U2 will not be able to exchange parts as easily as the other lights. Personally I would never go without at least two lights, probably three since all of mine are fixed-power lights (CMG Inf Ultra, one insanely high powered SF incan, and the can't-live-without-it KL1).

If I absolutely, positively had to take only one it would be the U2. Problem is the U2 costs as much as the whole of my 3-light loadout combined, and it's not available yet.

The CMG is only $15, so it's a worthwhile investment. 12 hours on AA cells is quite admirable, you don't need to carry reloads for this one. If you choose this route, then you can open up your choices to the high powered SF lights. My (very limited) experience seems to favor incan for outdoors work and LED for indoors or closeup work.

Config #1:
CMG Infinity Ultra
Surefire L4 LumaMax (65 lumens, 1 hour)
Surefire E2e bezel only, plus MN02 lamp (25 lumens, 2.5 hours) - medium incan
Surefire E2e bezel only, plus MN03 lamp (60 lumens, 75 min) - high powered incan

Swap the lamps and bezels. You only need one E2e bezel. There are plenty of nice waterproof containers available online, and remember, tupperware/ziplocs work great in a pinch.

Config #2:
CMG Infinity Ultra
Surefire 6P with P60 lamp (65 lumens / 60 minutes)
Surefire KL3 LED bezel (20 lumens, 4 hours max power + 4 hours diminishing light)
Surefire P61 lamp (120 lumens / 20 minutes)

If you want to go crazy, there's the A19 extender to deploy a 3-cell configuration for truly insane amounts of light.

The main thing is that what works for someone may not work for someone else at all. A setup that one person is comfortable with may seem totally awkward to another. You'll have to try the various lights in your intended application scenarios. I've tried predicting, and I find I can't /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

14C

Enlightened
For camping buy a CMG Ultra-G and an L-4. Hang the CMG around your neck and carry the L-4 using the clip AND a lanyard. You'll use the CMG 95% of the time and you'll have the "wall-of-light" from the L-4 when you need it. You'll appreciate them both.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
ubermensch said:
One more vote for L4 with an Aleph two-stage--the best of both worlds.

[/ QUOTE ]
and another
I think you would be /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/awman.gif with the output of the L1. Get the L4 and McGizmo 2 level tailcap

llvo

Enlightened
I strongly suggest the L1.
A super bright 5W is tempting, but practically most campers don't have lights that's brighter than a L1...a mini-mag or something similar are considered very adequate.

Besides the L1, I will also bring me a brighter incandescant(i.e. D3 Defender with high output lamp)