stash it

Status
Not open for further replies.

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all,

In silence and deep sorrow I quietly click through one of Peter's wonderful post on Arc Flashlight Faq thread, trying to save the images and text, preserving the format and converting to pdf and zip.

As Peter mention in his post
[ QUOTE ]
- ... This will affect the many images we posted here in the Arc forums.

[/ QUOTE ]

Although sasha mention that the ARC forum will be archived to be read only /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif many images will disappear altogether with arc website. I am try to save 'things' which has potential to disappear in the near future. A picture worth a thousand words and a few text will save you and your precious flashlight a day.

The amount of post to go through is massive. I suggest that everyone take part to do this although I have no idea of collaboration because things happen so quickly. Lets not let this be half-documented experience.

Vince. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grouphug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Be sure to save the images and information from this thread and from the Arc FAQ

Both have been invaluable to me. If i had HTML hosting space id mirror both threads on a special webpage.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dump it to hard disk first. We'll definitely find a way to host them, but the priority is to ensure we'll have content to host at all.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great. I was thinking that an easier way, since we cannot trace all the threads that reference his domain in time, is to get him to save all the images and directory structure of the site, since it appears that what digital assets he has are being left to him. Then pass it over to us and we'll find a way to do something about it.

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hallis, don't worry about the 'Chronology' thread. The images are stored on logicnerd's image hosting and on my hard drive as well.
Man, this is sad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yah, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif i think im actually going to throw up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

E

EchoSierraTwo

Yeah, somehow my Venti Coffee doesnt taste the same this morning. Man Im going out for a LONG Lunchtime smoke, I think a Cuban H. Upmann will do.

Robban

Enlightened
As I'm still a newbie around here I don't know how computer savvy the people behind CPF is. But it should be possible to create a script that gets all posts from the Arc forum, it would then parse these posts for images and finally download them all and save them. Yes, there would probably be quite a few pointless images but it should be quite easy to look through them and just save what is relevant.

Just an idea /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ledy

Newly Enlightened
There is a prog called Enterprise Offline Explorer, which will save everthing of the web site (images, sounds, etc.). The onlything is that you won't be able to do a search or some functions that require back-end database or programs. But I suspect it will take a while to download all the posts. From the look of the URL, there is no easy way to just archive ARC related posts as all posts are just a number in one big db.

jtice

Flashaholic
Dont worry guys, I have all the images /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I figure they are all on my site.

Koala, did you let Adobe extract the arc site itself?
It will download and convert every page on its own.
Ah, wth, Ill do it right now actually. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jtice

Flashaholic
The entire Arc Website is now in pdf format.

I will be hosting it tonight when I get home.
I will PERMINATELY host if off of my website.

I will make a post in the Arc section with its url tonight.

-John

B@rt

Flashaholic
Ticey, thanks much!
I know a lot of people will appreciate this! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is great jtice, I use Adobe Acrobat Professional 6.0, it does exactly what you said. Just print the webpage and send it to the adobe pdf file printer. I don't know if this works on acrobat readers.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I'll host the thread and photographs on my server.
Be back soon with a URL.

(Edit, awhile later)
Looks like it's going to be longer. My FTP program does not accept filenames over eight characters long (it truncates them to "filena~1.ext"), so I'll have to find all of them in a 185K file and change them to eight characters.
Yes, the page itself works, but not many of the images (UBB stuff, most avatars, etc.) do not work.

Be back later with another update, and hopefully a URL that works.

(Edit again, later on)
I wanted to post this awhile ago, but CPF went down.
The page for the Arc Chronology is right here if anybody is interested.
I preserved all the images, but the formatting is a bit off because I do not know how to do tables.

watt4

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
The_LED_Museum said:
My FTP program does not accept filenames over eight characters long (it truncates them to "filena~1.ext"),.....

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds like a windows 95 era ftp program.
recommendation: try transferring some long-filename html, then see if they are ok by using a browser. it may only "appear" truncated when listed in the ftp program.

Status
Not open for further replies.