headlamp for newbie

mcl2u

Newly Enlightened
This post is similar to DaveT's post in that i also have a collection of lights and am wanting to get a headlamp for general use. But i have no idea where to start. I did see a streamilght septor that looked good but just wanted to get your guys advice.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
My favorite is the Princeton Tec Yukon HL because it's has a bright Luxeon for throw and 3 LEDs for flood.
The Septor is a pretty good headlamp. This is one of my wife's favorites.
The Petzl Tikka Plus is another good choice if you want a light weight headlamp.
The Petzl Zipka is my choice for a compact or backup headlamp.
I prefer the Princeton Tec Corona to the Septor for adjustable brightness. The Corona is brighter and I prefer AA batteries.

If you prefer AAA batteries or if you want the batteries in the front the Septor is a fairly good choice.

I would recommend the:
Yukon HL for throw
Tikka Plus for weight
Zipkka for size
Corona for adjustable brightness

IMHO the Septor isn't the "best" at anything, but it is a pretty good headlamp.

I have two of each of these except the Corona (1) and the Tikka Plus (0). I have a few other headlamps too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

mcl2u

Newly Enlightened
can you control the brightness when using the 3 leds on the yukon. thanks for the help.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
No, the LEDs in the Yukon are not adjustable.

Someone here on CPF tested the current to the Luxeon and to the LEDs and found that the LEDs are driven about as hard as the Luxeon. I understand that some don't like this because runtime is going to be less than if the LEDs weren't driven as hard.

I just see it as the Luxeon providing throw and the LEDs are used for flood. The Luxeon in the Yukon is great for throw compared to other headlamps. The strong point of the Yukon HL is the Luxeon is nice and bright (again compared to other headlamps).

If you want to control the brightness, I recommend the Corona.

If you want a light weight headlamp with adjustable brightness I recommend the Petzl Tikka plus.

The Yukon gives throw and flood. The others are flood only.
With the Corona the only setting that seemed really dim was with 1 LED on low.

I have made trips up to ten days into The Boundry Waters and 3 LEDs was plenty of light (Petzl Duo). The reason I wanted brighter headlamps is for use where there is light polution or for throw.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Mcl2u,

My approach to head lamps is a little different. I like the PT Matrix II. It is the same as the Yukon HL but does not have the extra 3 LED's.

For flood and close up work I have a Tikka. The Tikka Plus would be better if I were purchasing now, but my older Tikka is still going strong and I have not replaced it yet.

The reason for carrying two lights involves Murphy's Law. If one craps out you always have the other one.

Tom

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
Here's a link to Quickbeam's review of headlamps

The Matrix 2 isn't as bright as the Yukon HL because the Matrix 2 uses 2AAs and the Yukon HL uses 3AAs. Both use a 1 watt Luxeon.

The Matrix 2 is fixed focus.
The Yukon HL is adjustable focus.

The Matrix 2 has front mounted batteries.
The Yukon HL has rear mounted batteries.

The Matrix 2 weighs 5.8 ounces
The Yukon HL weighs 8 ounces

Campmor has the Matrix 2 for $25.97 plus shipping.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you be more specific about your "general" use, please?

For instance, I use my Tikka with an optional red filter for working and taking notes outdoors at night. I find it provides a nice amount of light, weighs next to nothing, and with the filters, tends not to attract bugs. However, I find it a wee bit uncomfortable for long use and I have started to wearout the headband in a spot or two after a few years. I use my PT Aurora for reading at night and not disturbing my wife (ver. 1.0.a). The adjustable levels are useful and the headband is wide enough so that using it for a length of time is comfortable. I'm not sure I'd use either for hiking, though. And I might choose something else if I needed light for fine detail work.

When I look for lights, I try to get one suited for the specific task I have in mind. If it works for other tasks, so much the better, but there is less comprimising for the task at hand.