3D CAD models deign resource idea

Leeoniya

Enlightened
I dont know about anyone else, but i CAD everything i design...mostly because i end up CNC machining it.

i'm planning on posting 3D models of LD/HD/Side emitters as well as stars, LP optics, NX optics, reflectors, BB/DB/MM modules once i get them, also standard cases useed in any flashlight worth modding that i can get my hands on. I usually model in Autodek Inventor 9 Professional and will post all the native models and assemblies that it can export as well (ACIS SAT, IGES, Parasolid, STL, STEP) i can also get a native AutoCAD 2005 DWG posted as well as IronCAD 7. if anyone is interested in posting other native formats like Solidworks, Pro-E, Catia, Unigraphics, SolidEdge. I'd post a Mechanical Desktop 2005 parametric DWG as well, but working with it is such a pain in the ***. I think i actually have a plugin that will let me post a VRML as well.

i think it would be a good design resource for newbies as well as veterans : ). If anyone wants to help me host, that would be great, for now i'm just gonna have them on the ftp server i run from my house off of my 768 SDSL line....which is not too bad cause they arent huge files, but i'd rather not have this permanent.

Regards,
Leon

Leeoniya

Enlightened
oh yeah, did i mention all different battery sizes as well?

i'd like to have accurate models, so if you have a caliper handy...please use it. I always do.

and be careful when measuring live batteries' length with a caliper, seeing to the fact that most good calipers are steel...and conduct like you wouldnt believe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I've always been mindful when measuring overall cell lengths with my steel dial calipers. No need to witness an "explosive disassembly" failure firsthand...

I might be able to host some of the files. Too bad the only CAD app I have is AutoCAD LT 2002.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Hi Leon and welcome to the forums. May I suggest that links to the info be posted in the Materials/Mechanical/Machining board where they will probably get sticky'd for quick reference. I modeled an emitter in SolidWorks, but didn't post it. Links to 3-view drawings will be of the most use to the modding community here.

Larry

Leeoniya

Enlightened
mastercam is a great CAM package, the CAD in it is complete crap and the only thing that saves it is decent converters from other cad systems, so i'd rather not post mastercam files seeing to the fact that all they would be is imports from SAT or Inventor format anyhow. thus saving one step. hardly worth it i think, but feel free to post yours.

can someone PM me some HTTP server info i can upload small images to? i'm having some trouble with http server. ftp is up and running though. i uploaded some progress on the HD star

ftp://216.170.179.171/starhd.gif

you may have to download the file using something other than IE cause it doesnt want to open the image in browser straight off the FTP. or just go straight into the ftp root and drag and drop the file over.

Leeoniya

Enlightened
finally got my Apache HTTP server up and running behind my router and firewall, port forwarding madness i tells 'ya. So I conquer the machines. On to the more important stuff...

http://216.170.179.171

i'm gonna try to keep it updated, but i'm only one person.

i'm working on it at the moment, so refresh, you might see something new.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
He Leeoniya,

Hey ... Good to see some 3D Things. In fact, I am a 3D Professional Myself (earn my bread & butter through it these days), Wife is an Architect, I was surprised to see "AutoCAD" name in a CPF post.

Though I dont work with the small objects (of flashlight size), I still have designed quite a few things (related to flashlights). I also do not have to work with the CAM Part, as my clients would require a VERY VERY Big Machine to make the 3D Model in to the real structure /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Actually, I work more in to 3D Architectural Strcutures, be it Flyovers, Big Hotels, Appartments & Individual Homes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif all Inside Out .... it Often requires Realistic Imaging & Lighting Effects... and ofcourse Walkthroughs

I am proficient in using 3D Max, AutoCAD 2000 and learning 2005 (though its more or less similar to 2004)... also for 3D Modelling i use 3D Max 6.0; its mental ray renderer really rocks, renders so nicely that it is very hard to distinguish a mental ray rendering with a real photograph especially when it comes to raytracing and other factors.

One of my (personal) aim is to Model an LED (first 5 mm) and later on a Luxeon Star to perfectly Mimic Real World Lighting Behaviour in 3D Virtual World. and later on use this model to design Reflectors (or alternatively) use the Reflectors (from given specification) to check the output even before actual construction of the Flashlight. This will probably help Many Flashlight Designers to check the performance of light even before Actual Building of the light. The Current flowing through the LED & Light Output can be programmed in to 3D Max (using Script) so it emmits Exactly the same amount of light that a real LED would, Also, if the current level is more than a specific limit, it will indicate a "Blown" LED, ofcourse in a Virtual World though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif so you are still saved of loosing Luxeon's that way

Any Way, Thanks for your post. I will be watching this post closely /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks & Regards,
ViReN

dg

Newly Enlightened
Have you tried Sketchup from www.sketchup.com ?

Is a brilliant 3d conceptual design tool, which is very powerfull but easy to use. Have a look at some of the designs in the forum. Its mainly used for architecture, but it can model anything. You can export to dwg, 3DS, VRML and to image files.

A free site to host and share your 3d designs is at www.objectivenetworks.net/index.php

Leeoniya

Enlightened
i beat you to it, i already have a 5mm modeled. it's just not posted yet. however, 5mm leds vary in length by quite a bit depending on the manufacturer as i found out before. +/-as much as 1mm, my model is of Chi-Wing 5mm LEDs, which are actually much much cheaper than Nichia and available on his ebay store. the color to his white 3mm tends to be a greenish blue tint, but the 5 mm are pure white, maybe a slight hint of blue.

makar

Enlightened
great idea and welcome on cpf, Leeoniya!
wouldn't it be more usefull to move it to the "Homemade and Modified lights" forum?

Leeoniya

Enlightened
well, i can't move it, i've been trying, but i'm lazy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Homemade and Modified lights AND Machining? both would be nice. first one would prolly be more appropriate, since it's more for design considerations and layout rather than machining anyway.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Eh, the homemade/modified forum is more general-purpose than materials/machining - mostly talk about drop-in type mods. Design, machining, and gritty mechanical details are generally discussed in materials/machining.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I don't think you can. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif (Where is you, Mod's?) Then Roth or McGiz can move it to one of the useful stuff stickys.

Larry

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thats a kewl thing Leeoniya.. please do publish the finished pictures / renderings....
.... I too have modelled it very very recently (a month or so), but have to work on it for the light emmitting properties for the LED, didnt get enough time to work on it since i was on a professional trip, currently i am working on other 3D projects too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks & Regards,
ViReN