KL3 - Fraen LP to PR

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just finished a KL3 and had an opportunity to do more of an apples to apples comparison between an NX05 and a 27mm Pelican reflector (this one was turned down to fit into the KL3 - 60/1000" was removed from the outside diameter).

When I got the KL3 it had a nice unknown bin Lux III in it running at about 800mA with the stock NX05.

This is what the beam shot looked like 20 feet from a white wall.

picture.JPG

And three feet from a white wall.

picture.JPG

(Notice how perfectly centered the lux is in the NX05. Another testament to the kind of work that CM does.)

These next shots are coming from the KL3 with the turned down PR in it. The PR has the same lux III in it, but is running at 1.2A.

The first is 20 feet from a white wall.

picture.JPG

And three feet from a white wall.

picture.JPG

It's not my intention to make a brightness comparison, but to point out the differences in the beam characteristics. There isn't that much of a difference in brightness between 800mA and 1.2A. 1.2A is just for those that want to get as close to "having it all" as they can. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Of course, the PR will out throw the NX05 by a wide margin.

I did this just because some have been asking.

***Sorry guys, I did this late at night and don't know what I was thinking. The optic was a fraen and NOT an NX05.

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: KL3 - NX05 to PR

Tony, the beam shots look great /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tony did this mod for me. CM had modded the KL3 with the high dome and bumped up the mah earlier in the year.

The light worked great in the house but really lacked throw outside the house due to the very bright orangey street lights. I needed a light that can be used to identify what Buster the mighty dog (all 22 pounds of him) was barking at come 3 am.

The larger size of the G2 / KL3 as compared to an E series PR light will keep me from being tempted to EDC the light and therefore leaving it in it's assigned "spot" which is on the bedstand. It's added bulk also adds to it's usefulness as an impact weapon if the need arises. I just hope it isn't me on the recieving end. Hi honey I'm home... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great photos, Tony

I'm trying to track down my son to get him to send his KL3 you modded back to you for the conversion from optic to reflector.

Looks like the word is out on Chop's and CM's work with KL3s and KL1s (and many other goodies).

Wolfie, my wife has one of these KL3s from Chop mounted on a G2 with a Z49 Clickie. It has the tailcap lanyard ring and she wears it during the worst part of the storms. She swears by it and has now used it through 3 hurricanes in South Florida. Although she never lost grid power, she said it instantly lit up entire rooms during all those weeks with the plywood over most of the windows. Her house is on a large, corner lot with lots of foliage and a dim streetlight about half a block away.

The spill was more than adequate to let her check her yard and the throw would easily reach to the transformer at the far corner of her lot.

She kept the A19 on it for awhile but decided it handled better for her and seemed as bright running on just 2x123.

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just can't say enough about Chop and CM's mod work. They both are truly gifted and a pleasure to do business with.