L4 getting hot ?

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
hey - just wondering if running my L4 for extended periods without my hand holding the head (to keep it cool) will damage the light ?
reason i ask - my girlfriend borrowed my L4 when she went to bring her cat inside and held it near the switch - it would have been on for at least 10 mins
thanks

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know that they get hot, but I don't think that anything will fry. I ran mine taped to the fender of my dirt bike till the batt went dead and changed batts and ran it some more. It was fine.

Size15's

Flashaholic
It is suitable for extended constant-on use but it is a flashlight and will get hot. There is no data I'm aware of that points to such usage being damaging.

Al

Mark2

Enlightened
I thought running Luxeons at high temperatures speeds up their aging?

K-T

*Moderator*
10Minutes constant on isn't a time frame I would worry about. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
My L4 ran for this long and seems ok! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

l4.jpg

03lab

Enlightened
OMG Roy! It's right there in the graph, the temperature killed it after approximately 1:20 hours. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:
Yes, but not for several thousands of hours heavy (hot) use.

Al

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it was more like 500 hours? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Peter

Size15's

Flashaholic
That was old research data prior to release of the Luxeons by LumiLeds. It wasn't based on the product they have been producing, and isn't based on the way the product is being used in this application.
If it was 500 hours, surely somebody would have run a KL4 off a bench supply for a month and been able to measure a difference right? It appears to me that CPF Members may like to talk a lot and try to scare each other but nobody here really cares enough to be bothered to try find the fire behind this smoke or whether it's just fog.

It's like we tell each other the world is flat and yet we don't bother to actually go look for ourselves...

Al

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:
That was old research data prior to release of the Luxeons by LumiLeds...

[/ QUOTE ]I thought that applied to "portable" 5watters ?

[ QUOTE ]
03lab said:
OMG Roy! It's right there in the graph, the temperature killed it after approximately 1:20 hours. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL!

Brightnorm

cia

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
03lab said:

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

You guy's are killing me.....