Question for condo owners, on roof repairs.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys, I just bought a condo. The condo association know there are some roof problems that need to be fixed and are discussing plans with the board of trustees. Well I just found out I have a leak now. It is on the corner of a dormer and I'm guessing it's a flashing problem. Who do I call? Do I call one of the condo board members (if I have the term correct) or the management association company themselves? Will I have to do something special to get the leak fixed pronto? Like I said I believe they are discussing plans for some broad fixes but don't believe these are going to take place without more meetings, discussions, estimates, etc and I need my little part of the corner done immediately. Also, I am only responsible for the walls in but if a leak in the roof (which is not my responsibility) causes me to have to have repairs done to the inside, do I have a chance of having them being held responsible for and paying for that as well?

Thanks for any quick replies, I'll need to make some phone calls tomorrow.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
darn my dad is going thru same thing id call him in the am. he goes to bed early. his condo i think thats what ya call it got hit by that darn huricane like 2 times i know he had to go to a meeting.and there is voteing.and stuff seems strict

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Hey Geepondy

A lot of condo associations have particular rules. For example, most say the association pays for the roofs, but some make you take care of the portion of roof over your unit. So, be clear on what you are responsible for. YOu should also be clear on what your homeowners insurance covers. My parents in Fla, are being squeezed by the condo association, which says their exterior glass wall is part of your unit, and their homeowner's insurance company, which says that's an exterior wall that the condo assoc is supposed to cover.

You should have that leak fixed as soon as possible. Call the management company and log your repair in with them. If you know which one of the members has experience with roof issues, you might want to call them. But you don't wait for them to figure out the broad fixes.

Something that happens regularly with broad fixes is a special assessment on all the condo owners to pay for it. It's not uncommon to pay an extra hundred dollars for a year or more for new roofs and painting of the exterior, so keep that in mind as you budget your money.

And document everything, too. Make a log of when you called the management company, in case things go slow and your unit is damaged by water, you may need to prove the inside damage was caused by the negligence of the management company in taking too long to fix it.

Even more important, don't let it go to where mold starts to grow, that can be a b*tch to get rid of. Don't mean to scare ya, but just give you a couple things to consider.

best of luck,
daloosh

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
Roof is a common element, so it is the job of the owners association to repair it. You need to find the articles of incorporation/rules to see who you need to contact, but the chairman of the board of directors/trustees is a rational place to start, and send a letter.

If the leak is serious, and likely to cause serious damage, most state laws have regulations to deal with exogent circumstances in which case you can have the work done, and get reimbursed by the association. Just make sure the work is done by a licensed contractor, and you get a lien release or waiver of lien signed by the contractor.

My late brothers parquay wood flooring in his condo was damaged by a roof leak that ran down the inside of an exterior wall (he was on the ground floor), and the association paid for the repairs, but that's likely to be spelled out in the by laws, or articles of incorporation of the association. As I said, read them.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll double check but I'm fairly positive the condo association is responsible for the whole roof and I am not responsible for the roof over my area.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a very similar situation and I would recommend calling the management company ASAP. If they are not the right point of contact, they will tell you. Your leak is an urgent repair issue separate from the larger issue of major roof work, so you should definitely not wait for the major repair. Get the leak patched immediately. In my case, interior damage to the wall as a result of the leak was my responsibility to repair. At least that is what they told me and it was not worth it to me to try and fight the point since the interior damage was minor. If the interior damage is major or especially if they are negligent in repairing the roof in a timely manner after you notified them of the problem and you can prove it, it might be worth looking into getting them to pay for the interior repair, but expect a fight.

The main thing is that you get the leak stopped quickly and effectively. Damage from leaking water can become a huge problem over time.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haven't had time to read all the prior posts, but the situation should probably be dealt with by the management company. Specific division of responsibilities will be spelled out in the association by-laws.

If the mamagement association can't or won't give you the information you need, check with your state real estate regulatory body. If such things don't fall under their authority, they'll refer you.