Best flood not using 123's

mcl2u

Newly Enlightened
Best flood not using 123\'s

Looking for a good flood that uses AA's. I was looking at the gerber lx3 but that seems to be more of a beam.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Re: Best flood not using 123\'s

Streamlight 4AA 7LED (4 x AA)
Lightwave C4
Opalec Newbeam in MiniMag

bernhard

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

mcl2u, are you referring to lights putting out high lumens?

Bill

Hoghead

Flashaholic*

[ QUOTE ]
Kiessling said:
Streamlight 4AA 7LED (4 x AA)
Lightwave C4
Opalec Newbeam in MiniMag

bernhard

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have the Lightwave C4, but I agree with Bernhard on the Streamlight 4AA 7LED and the Opalec NewBeam.

mcl2u

Newly Enlightened

I'm just confused by all the info. Certain leds are better for beams and others for flood. It's fun and also frustrating trying to figure all this out. I'd like a light that could light up a backyard.

Kiessling

Flashaholic

this would require a lot more power than the suggestions to date ... might want to go with a LS instead of 5mm LEDs then ...
bernhard

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

I think the 4AA UK eLED has a pretty nice amount of flood for a light with also a decent amount of throw, plus all its other attributes.

Geoff

Hoghead

Flashaholic*

[ QUOTE ]
mcl2u said:
I'm just confused by all the info. Certain leds are better for beams and others for flood. It's fun and also frustrating trying to figure all this out. I'd like a light that could light up a backyard.

[/ QUOTE ]

It soulds like you need a 3 or 4 cell, with C or D batteries and three or more Luxeons.

ElektroLumens and Inretech make lights like this.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast

Have you checked out the Streamlight JR. Luxeon (AAx2)---a very nice flood beam, slick little light, nice metal case, and < $30----?

mcl2u

Newly Enlightened

A little more research in to this and i think my wants for a light have to be scaled back. I want a smaller light that has good runtime and a decent amount of light. Lighting up a backyard is beyond the size light i want and dollars that i want to spend.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast

Elektrolumens FT3C or Tri-Star Phazer are what you're looking for, then - heavy they may be, but they use commonly available C cells.

If you want a small light that'll make a small beam, then look at the StreamLight Junior Luxeon. Or maybe the XM-2 or XM-3 from Elektrolumens. If you want 'light up the yard', you will NEED much more energy than is available in an AA-cell.

mcl2u

Newly Enlightened

I'm kind of leaning towards a gerber trio. good runtime, cheap batteries, small and cheap!

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast

Trio's not bad, though the LX 3.0 uses AA cells as well, IIRC, and the Lux III in it will outthrow and outshine the Trio's LED.

mcl2u

Newly Enlightened

Doesn't that kill the runtime. Decisions, Decisions. When in doubt buy both.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast

Trio's runtime:
80 hours (claimed): 10 hours at a bright level and 70 hours at a very dim level afterwards

LX 3.0's runtime:
50 hours (claimed): 4 hours at a bright level and 46 hours at at steadily dimming level afterwards

I'd probably go with the Streamlight, or maybe an Eternalight.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

If you are looking to save a few bucks...try a McFlood in "something"?

Don's come up with some amazing items, but the McFlood should be nominated for "something"...I just like putting "quotes" on "something" tonight!

Just "scanned" through the thread...didn't see anyone suggesting the Gerber Trios! GREAT AA torch for $20 at Brightguy.com!! Check it out!

mcl2u

Newly Enlightened

I have the streamlight tt3c but am looking for something smaller. Smaller than even the propolymer. i like that eternalight. thanks

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

Ahhh yes...the eternaLight - soo many options, such a loooooong runtime...and easy to carry! (and Tom's got them on sale on his site!)

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
mcl2u said:
I have the streamlight tt3c but am looking for something smaller. Smaller than even the propolymer. i like that eternalight. thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

In that case, I heartily recommend the Eternalight Marine if you don't want to get TOO fancy - or if you're willing to splurge on a really feature-packed light with multiple levels of regulation, all the features of the Marine, and a magnet for attaching to metallic surfaces.. try the EliteMax.

mcl2u

Newly Enlightened

Don't mean to sound like a total newbie but who are Don, Tom and Mcflood.