what's the closest thing to a rechargeable SF M6?

Billmanweh

Newly Enlightened
what\'s the closest thing to a rechargeable SF M6?

not a spotlight or lantern type light, something approximately the size of a 2D or 3D maglight, rechargeable and insanely bright.

03lab

Enlightened
Re: what\'s the closest thing to a rechargeable SF M6?

Mag85 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Prolepsis

Enlightened

Also the Tiger85--closer in size to the M6. Made by Jim Sexton. You can find more information here.

Jim's modded TigerLight produces more light than my SureFire M6 in a ceiling bounce test. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Billmanweh

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Prolepsis said:
Jim's modded TigerLight produces more light than my SureFire M6 in a ceiling bounce test. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about! Is it a turnkey set-up?

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Billmanweh said:
not a spotlight or lantern type light, something approximately the size of a 2D or 3D maglight, rechargeable and insanely bright.

[/ QUOTE ]

This?

lp2-1.jpg

(next to a blue 2D mag)

35W MR16, 12-degree beam
500+ lumens
1 hour runtime

Someday, I'll get ahold of a 50W, 8-degree MR-16!

Prolepsis

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Billmanweh said:
[ QUOTE ]
Prolepsis said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about! Is it a turnkey set-up?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. Basically, you replace the stock plastic lense, the battery and the lamp assembly--you just have to remove the old stock parts. Easy to do.

There is one other bit, however. The Tiger85 requires that you send in your charger for modding--that's the only extra part. Jim also makes different Tiger mod packs that don't require the charger to be modded. If you go through the link I sent you, it'll tell you all that you need to know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Basically, the Tiger85 is the mod for people who want their TigerLight to be as bright as possible, no matter what.

I should clarify that the Tiger85 is brighter than the SF M6 running the HOLA(!!) on fresh batteries. Just a smidgen brighter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif But it is also heavier than the M6.

Kind of hard to explain, but the M6 is still dang impressive.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator

How close would a M6 with rechargeable bateries be? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think the "closest" in terms of light output and SF style too would be a 9P with A19, bored out to accept 2x2400ma 18650 LiIons, KTx Turbohead with MM21 plugged right in and voila the poor mans rechargeable M6 is born /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Klaus

TheSteve

Newly Enlightened
Re: what\'s the closest thing to a rechargeable SF

How about an M6 with six 4/5A NiMH cells installed? They are 1800ma each so you're not going to get great runtime but you can use the HOLA lamp without any problems, the cells can handle a 5 amp discharge rate just fine. In a custom pack 6 of them should just fit in the M6.
This is what I plan to build just as soon as I get an M6(fingers crossed, I've been dropping lots of Christmas hints to my wife!)

Size15's

Flashaholic

The 10X is brighter than the M6...
I only have two 10X's and three M6's to compare though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Skyline

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:
The 10X is brighter than the M6...
I only have two 10X's and three M6's to compare though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

There Al goes showing off again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

I agree with him though. The 10X is the closest thing to a rechargeable M6. Although I "like" my M6 more, I use my 10X more. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic

Yeah... I prefer the M6 because it has more of a beam rather than a flood of light.

Al

Billmanweh

Newly Enlightened

I don't know why, but the 10X doesn't appeal to me.

But if I could run rechargeables in an M6, that'd be enough to push me over the edge to get one.

I already have three Tigerlights though, so the Tigerlight mod is a cool option, too.

Skyline

Enlightened

It's too bad the 10X doesn't interest you. Sure it's not quite as cool as the M6, but the dual lamps are fantastic. It's not nearly as large as photos make it out to be. It's got great balance overall, and the narrow battery/handle holds nicely in hand. Plus, I've found I can easily jam the handle into the back pocket of my jeans while I'm working on stuff outside at night. I can't do that with my M6 -- holster required.

Billmanweh

Newly Enlightened

hmmm, I just imagine the 10X as this gigantic plastic monstrosity

either way, the idea of an M6 with rechargeables is pretty cool. is that really possible without a ton of modifications?

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
TheSteve said:
How about an M6 with six 4/5A NiMH cells installed? They are 1800ma each so you're not going to get great runtime but you can use the HOLA lamp without any problems, the cells can handle a 5 amp discharge rate just fine. In a custom pack 6 of them should just fit in the M6.
This is what I plan to build just as soon as I get an M6(fingers crossed, I've been dropping lots of Christmas hints to my wife!)

[/ QUOTE ]

The MN21 M6 HOLA is nicely over-driven at 6.8 volts, and on the hairy edge at 7.0 volts. A 6 cell 4/5A NiMH battery pack will come in at well over 7.2 volts when fully charged and--POOF!--no more MN21.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hmm, I would say the closest thing to a rechargeable SF M6 would be a rechargeable SF M6. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'm saying no more at this time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wilkey